PDA

View Full Version : I love my new tablet

Barachiel
09-25-2007, 10:02 PM
How ever did I exist without one, I will not know.

Curunir
09-26-2007, 02:54 AM
I'm ordering the Wacom Intuos3 6x11 very soon, probably tomorrow or whenever Paypal finishes sending my money to the bank.

SatanSpork
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I've been dabbling with drawing lately and I'm wondering. Is a tablet something to draw on that transfers the image to a computer?
EDIT: Sorry if I come across as retarded. I'm not fully functioning right now. lollackofsleep

aaaninja
09-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I think you can...but from what i was told by pros who do art is...its mostly a time saver. you scan ur work ect make a clean version using pen in photoshop then u can color it in. Basically ur switching a mouse for a pen in photoshop. When I get a job again thats going to be first thing I get :X....cuz i hate spending 3-9hrs on a pic when ppl with one spend 1-3hrs >.>

Barachiel
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I really like using it just for the entire thing, from the initial sketch to the colored version. Much easier to just apply layers than to sketch and have to trace on a light table, much easier to see as well, and no stupid eraser marks.

Is there really any advantage to the bigger tablets, other than a bigger drawing surface? I just got the small, cheap 4x5 one to test it out, but I'd imagine that the bigger the drawing surface, the less sensitive it is. If that's the case I'd probably return this one since I can't hardly hold the pen still enough to click things.

Curunir
09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah it makes it so you don't have to zoom in so much. I spoke to a few digital artists when I was considering getting one a while ago, and the general feeling I got was that anything smaller than 6x8 is nice practice, but a bit of a waste of money

My monitor is widescreen so the widepanel tablet will work nicely for me.

You can adjust sensitivity with most tablets, but the bigger tablets aren't necessarily less sensitive. Your tablet should have several sensitivity settings, but generally zooming in on your work makes the sensitivity less of an issue. As for clicking stuff, I just use the mouse.

aaaninja
09-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah it makes it so you don't have to zoom in so much. I spoke to a few digital artists when I was considering getting one a while ago, and the general feeling I got was that anything smaller than 6x8 is nice practice, but a bit of a waste of money

My monitor is widescreen so the widepanel tablet will work nicely for me.

You can adjust sensitivity with most tablets, but the bigger tablets aren't necessarily less sensitive. Your tablet should have several sensitivity settings, but generally zooming in on your work makes the sensitivity less of an issue. As for clicking stuff, I just use the mouse.

interesting cause I heard size doesnt matter...and tbh it does look better when u draw the original sketch, scan, then trace on pc. Making a sketch from scratch on the pc usually comes out looking like crap. Because you can do the exact same thing with a mouse...only difference is u dont need to drag ur points and lines around, and with a pen u can just point and touch. If you have a tablet try using the pen tool then making ur points to create a path, then right click and select stroke path. I had a tutorial somewhere...maybe try looking in my favorites on deviantart.com

Murrr
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
its rly good. Makes the time it takes to colour something somuch shorter then if you tryed just with mouse. It is still work tho >< i dunno, i dont have a lot of fun colouring pics till i get to the point where you can get into shadings and details, but it is A LOT less frustrating to get to this point then it was with just mouse.

SatanSpork
09-30-2007, 07:12 AM
You guys seem to sing it's praises...but then kinda drop hints that it's not cheap. Just how much are we talking here?

aaaninja
09-30-2007, 08:56 AM
cheap depends on person, they're usually anywhere from $50- 1000 depending on size and brand. I dont have one but most everyone at school and artists tell me that Wacom ones are the best.

Curunir
09-30-2007, 03:58 PM
There are Cintiq LCD-tablets approaching $1500, but most people will go with the smaller intuos or graphire tablets (Assuming you go with Wacom - the leading and most trusted brand).

My 6x11 intuos3 was $370

There are identical-model smaller versions for about half as much, but get out a ruler and imagine drawing and manipulating your screen on a 4x5 space

This is one of the articles I consulted before buying mine: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/graphicstablets.htm

SatanSpork
10-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Jeebus...looks like I need to save up. >.>