View Full Version : Wintermute's Pencil Brush for Photoshop

Wintermute
01-10-2010, 02:56 AM
Updated: 1-21-09
PS Hanging Issue fixed (???)
+New Brush
===============

http://forum.neko-sentai.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=1212
Full (uncensored): Here (http://forum.neko-sentai.com/album.php?albumid=57&pictureid=1322)

Old Banner:

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww194/Wintermute00/BrushAdvrt.png

===============

These are brushes I made for Photoshop. Version 1 mimics the properties of a pretty standard HB - 2B Drawing Pencil, only in Photoshop. Version 2 is more of a multi-purpose, free-form, brush.

They are designed to be used with a Tablet. They are meant to be used at their given widths (2px for V1, 3px for V2), but you might find use for them at other widths as well. I tried to design them to be primarily good for sketching.

If the above interests you, there is a download link to both at the bottom of this post.

===============

Installation:

To Install these Brushes, unzip the downloaded file and put the extracted .abr file in your Photoshop Brushes folder (probably \Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS#\Presets\Brushes) and Open Photoshop.

In Photoshop, open your Brushes window (Window => Brushes). Click the little Brush Window drop-down menu button, and select "Load Brushes." Find "Winters Pencil Brushes V2.abr" and select Load.

Congratulations, you're done! Both brushes should now be in your brush selection pool.

If you're having trouble please let me know.

===============

More info on why I made these brushes:

After awhile I stopped drawing in Photoshop. I was tired of how much I struggled against the default Photoshop brushes; there was only so much I could do with a Round-Hard-Edge Brush. As a result I went back to pencil and paper, and found a renewed fondness for one of my old favorites: The 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil.

Then one day I ran out of 0.5mm lead. You can see where this is going.

The end result is this brush. The brush really isn't anything special, but it makes drawing in Photoshop feel like you're using an actual pencil, rather and a stylus. And it makes your lines look like real pencil (at least, in my opinion)!

I normally do not share stuff like this (I know I am not the shit), but I was happy enough with the end result of this brush I wanted to throw it out there for anyone else who might want to use it. If you're looking for a brush which lets you quickly make drawings in Photoshop without the use of layers or Brush-swapping, I recommend you give this brush a try.

***About the V2 Brush:

This brush spawned from my endless tinkering. According to some (see below), my brush was (apparently) causing Photoshop to hang. Following a fruitless tip, I thought this might be because of some setting I had given the brush, so tinker away I did. Of course this turned out not to be the case - the problem was I had put "_"'s in the name of my brush's .abr file, and Photoshop didn't like that.

(At least that seemed to be the problem? Photoshop hasn't crashed since I changed that one thing... Seems like a stupid thing to have been causing the problem...)

Anyway.

V2 was my last attempt at a new brush before I figured out the real problem. Now that I know that V1 is actually stable, I actually like using V1 more and will probably go back to using it instead. But V2 is still a decent brush. Tell me what you think.

If you experience Photoshop hanging or crashing while using the V1 brush, try using V2 instead.

===============
D/L: (new)

Gustaf the Voidbringer
01-11-2010, 01:42 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/wb8eud.jpg

Wintermute
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/wb8eud.jpg
Nice, I love it.

(Makes me think I probably should have tested out how the brush looked at much larger widths, though...)

Wintermute
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm glad you like it. :) I'd love to see any work people want to post if they try out the brush.

Sunstone28
01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
ooh nice ^_^ got a tablet now myself i'll have to try this hehe

Botreie
01-12-2010, 09:50 PM
God, i love this new Brush o.o; The drawing itself came out shitty, But i was just messin with the brush <3 Thank you so much winter

Wintermute
01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys. To be honest, I didn't expect much response, much less such a positive one. Had I known, I might have spent more time on it. :) I'm still glad people seem to be liking it, though. Very nice drawings all around.

A word of caution, though.

Now, no one's done this yet, but I still want to caution against trying to use this brush for all your drawing needs. I made it to satisfy my need to be able to do quick 10-30 minute drawings/sketches in Photoshop. If you ask it to do much more than that, you might wind up disappointed. If you use it, use it light - use it loose. Slowly build your lines with additional strokes, and don't press to hard.

Or don't. Hell. Who am I to tell you what to do? If past artists didn't experiment with their tools, the world today would be a much more dreary place.

Gustaf the Voidbringer
01-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Messed around with it to color and it works decently. I don't use many brushes in PS in the first place to compare, but it gives a slight watercolor-y feel.

Torgal
01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
First off, love the brush, very satisfied with what I've done with it so far.

It seems to give trouble sometimes though. Occasionally when using it, the brush will stop drawing and photoshop just freeze (with no "Does not respond" message, mind you). I also get an error saying that it can't load the brush because of an unexpected end-of-file sometimes. Think you could help?

Wintermute
01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Thank you for posting this. I have begun having similar trouble, but I wasn't sure if it was just me. If you've started having the same trouble, that seems indicative that the brush might be the root of the problem. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it but rest assured I'll look into it and try to have it it fixed ASAP.

If anyone else has been having this problem could they post here with details?

(If you run into this problem and haven't saved recently, remember that you can take a snap-shot of your screen with the PrtScr button which can be pasted into Photoshop after you restart it. This might help you save any work that might otherwise be lost.)

Aguaa
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Very nice brush, I love the result it achieved in the sample. I'll definitely make use of this. /thanks

Wintermute
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
First post updated. Added new brush and new banner. The hanging issue in Photoshop should be fixed now. More info in the first post.

Gulkeeva
01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Its almost scary how close and fast your getting to gochou art style haha

Wintermute
01-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Thanks. I've really been trying to improve (and by really trying I mean doodling on my class notes), and it'd be more than just a lie if I said he hasn't influenced the way I try to draw.

I actually noticed after the fact that my picture looks somewhat similar to this (http://www.neko-sentai.com/imgboard/post/view/2703?search=artist_gochou) pic he did.

I want to just say I didn't actually look at that picture for reference while drawing (though I did use a few different refs), but I have no doubt it probably subconsciously influenced what I was drawing.

But his is so much better anyway. :( One of these days I'll learn how to color... one of these days.

Corrderio
01-22-2010, 02:48 AM
I'd use these... if I could draw worth a damn

Wintermute
01-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I'd use these... if I could draw worth a damn

Hey, no time like the present. Everyone starts somewhere.

I shudder to think back to when I first started drawing - the first steps I took a little under a year ago are still lurking around here somewhere, and they make me cringe. I'm no Leonardo, but I still think I've come quite a ways since then.

At first it's a struggle. Nothing will look right. I don't think it can be forced, but you just gotta keep trying to improve at your own pace. ... And slowly, things start to piece together...

By the way I love your new avatar+sig just from a stylistic point of view, even though I have no idea what they're about.

Corrderio
01-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Sorry but my artistic talent is in programming... if I ever start reading my books again.

Elesia.Ciel
02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I've been playing around with these brushes for a few days now, and I think it's safe to say that WinterMute, you are my hero. ^^-

This isn't FFXI-related at all, but after a bit of getting used to how the brush works, I managed to do this.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8109/sketchedout2.jpg

The entirety of this was made using the 3px brush (well, I obviously tweaked the size as I went, but it used that same brush preset the entire time) and discovered that while it indeed begins to look a little...odd, as a sketching pencil once it gets to about 10-12 px size, it also becomes very nice for other things, like lighter coloring and shading.

I think I'll be getting attached to this brush very quickly. Thank you, WinterMute! This is awesome.

(Disclaimer: I'd put this in a fanart thread of my own instead of putting it here, but I know I wouldn't be able to get content up at a decent pace anyways and thought this might be useful to show various things I discovered the brush can do while I was playing with it. No thread highjacking intended!)

Wintermute
02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Outstanding! Glad you like it. :)

I still suck hardcore at coloring so that's very impressive. I really like what you did with it.