Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
catastrophie
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Wii-U Xenoblade

Hey all,

Downloaded and installed the Wii-U version of Xenoblade Chronicals X yesterday.

1st Impressions.

Very Beautiful. Since I had the 22gb downloaded version load times weren't an issue.

It takes a few minutes of getting thru (skippable) nonscense after creating your character to get into the game ... and right into the game you will go.

Sadly this game doesn't do a very good job of explaining interfaces ... as in if it mentions it you will be lucky. So Job/Class/Ability/Skills/AI Controls ... not explained ... there is a manual they encourage you to read but still some tool times explaining things would of been nice.

So I am out and exploring the very big multi-layered with 0 load times where I run to however stuff will pop in as you get closer. There are a mix of monsters around from the normal lvl 1 mobs right up to a 20 story tall dinosaur/kaiju thing drinking from a lake ... it is very impressive to see however a few times when I was running a quest I got lost/off track and missed the level appropriate level 8 path and ran down one of the lvl 50 paths and was aggro wiped out.

Your character never speaks ... which is strange because you pick a voice at the start but it only makes noise in combat. This is disjointed because in cut-scenes they are clearly asking you a question and having a conversation with you and you never speak back (a pop up with text responses) and they continue on as if you said it ... I don't like this at all ...

Censorship - So at the very start of the game after you align with the Blades you gain access to the store. Right at the very start you can buy a swimsuit or diving suit .. needless to say they are very revealing. On Lin's character they put a tiny black tube top and shorts under the offending bits ... so the costume is still on top they just added more under.

I just completed a little bit of the online portion. Don't think I will find too many people to group with in my current region so I do the online pve stuff. I get a ton of spam messages in my upper left hand screen about me being in a party/leaving a party, Quest progress, Achievements ... the gambit ... This is something to do with other players choosing my npc'ed self to help them do quests ... outside of the message spam it doesn't seem to pay me anything for it (like Dragon's Dogma did).

Thoughts so far .... I do like the sense of exploring ... however sometimes it has it's limits ... getting killed by a melee attack and being super far away and spawning way back at your last checkpoint is painful .... however ... if you can jump from anywhere and not fall to your death ... so good with the bad.

I haven't made it to the Mech suit part of the game ... Chapter 4 is killing me in the face trying to get to the objective since I had to run thru super high aggro areas to get to my low level quest (haven't found a better way).

Do I recommend this game?

YES - there is so much here it is amazing. There is a steep learning curve due to some missing tutorials but once you get the hang of the game it is good.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

The game is fanastic! Other than some minor interface/gamepad issues it's excellent!

It does have some major FFXIII feel too...world, weapons, music, gear...everything has that "FFXIII feel".

My currentcharacter/robutt:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zangoose For This Useful Post:
Gulkeeva (12-07-2015), Teles (12-09-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 5,272 Times in 2,670 Posts

tempted to buy a wii-u jsut to play that game... i hear its nice... but s the story as awesome as xenogears!?
Old 12-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

If you mean Xenogears (PSOne), indeed it is. While so far it's not even close to be as dark as Xenogears it does have its own appeal. ^^

But if you get a Wii U for it be sure to get Splatoon too! MK8, Splatoon and now Xenoblade Chronicles X are must have titles! SSB is also awesome! <3

I confess i didn't play Xenoblade (from Xeno saga i only played Xenogears before X) so i was skeptical about X...but the game is marvelous! Its worth getting a wii U just to play it! Still, if you can find the Wii U + MK8 + Splatoon bundle you supposedly saves $100 from buying separately, which can be taken as "MK8 DLCs and Xenoblade Chronicles X for free".
Old 12-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Teles
Forum Member

My biggest complaint is the only way to take a screenshot is to literally pause the game, wait for Miiverse to load, then click make a journal entry, then click to add a photo.

And why is the res so damn small?! UGH!

Love everything else about the game. Just got my skell so I'm busy driving around and catching up on quests before I start the next story mission!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
catastrophie
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah There are some things I don't like.

Quests based off random item pickups in the wild (the crystals on the map).

Some objectives are super hard to find with the size of the map.

Multiplayer message spam.

I haven't gotten my Skel yet just completed chapter 5 and I will admit so far there were 2 fights I had to just give up and go on easy mode as my AI partners had a nasty tendency to link area mobs and wipe me. Not a fan of that.

One time I was able to click A to rez a downed player ... never figured out how to do that since.

But I do love the fact you can skip every cutscene ... man it makes things go so much faster .. the game doesn't care ... skip it all :D
Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teles View Post
My biggest complaint is the only way to take a screenshot is to literally pause the game, wait for Miiverse to load, then click make a journal entry, then click to add a photo.

And why is the res so damn small?! UGH!

Love everything else about the game. Just got my skell so I'm busy driving around and catching up on quests before I start the next story mission!
Yeah the size and way to take SS is the wii U standard. They really should add some hotkey for it tho, automatically taking the SS and adding to the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophie View Post
Yeah There are some things I don't like.

Quests based off random item pickups in the wild (the crystals on the map).

Some objectives are super hard to find with the size of the map.

Multiplayer message spam.

I haven't gotten my Skel yet just completed chapter 5 and I will admit so far there were 2 fights I had to just give up and go on easy mode as my AI partners had a nasty tendency to link area mobs and wipe me. Not a fan of that.

One time I was able to click A to rez a downed player ... never figured out how to do that since.

But I do love the fact you can skip every cutscene ... man it makes things go so much faster .. the game doesn't care ... skip it all :D
Which fights were that? Only one i had the "easy mode" offered was one with a giant monkey in Oblivia. That fucker kept falling from cliff and resetting HP ><

Also, to raise you just need to press A when near the dead teammate with 3000TP. I have this problem too...Lin constantly AoE voking adds during fights. Going to have to restart a fight next time i play because during it she voked a lv65 passerby tyrant... lol
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #8
Teles
Forum Member

Okay, I can't sing the praises anymore.

These. Fucking. Load times. UGH.

I'm not about to delete my other games, so I just downloaded the NPC and enemy DLC, and I think the terrain? I'll let you know when the 8 gig install for this DLC finishes and whether it was worth it.

30 minutes in and it's juuuust past 50% finished installing. This better prevent mobs from randomly appearing on my map and not letting me see them BEFORE I'm on top of them.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teles View Post
Okay, I can't sing the praises anymore.

These. Fucking. Load times. UGH.

I'm not about to delete my other games, so I just downloaded the NPC and enemy DLC, and I think the terrain? I'll let you know when the 8 gig install for this DLC finishes and whether it was worth it.

30 minutes in and it's juuuust past 50% finished installing. This better prevent mobs from randomly appearing on my map and not letting me see them BEFORE I'm on top of them.
It prolly is. I play on digital version and longest loadings takes like 15 secs or less, which is perfectly fine IMO.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Teles
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangoose View Post
It prolly is. I play on digital version and longest loadings takes like 15 secs or less, which is perfectly fine IMO.
I haven't personally noticed a difference myself. But then again I just got my flight pack, so I zip around the map and when I land mobs still take a few seconds to pop in. And I have the enemy npc DLC to make it quicker.

Lin always sneaking into my screenshots.

The O is pretty fuckin' rad

Chapter 10 boss destroyed me. Time to level up so there isn't such a ridiculous level gap between it and me. lol

EDIT:

This is the laziest blizzard effect I've ever seen.

EDIT2:

I'm getting reaaaaaaal fucking tired of every story boss being cheap as hell towards the end and having multiple forms, with no reset on fuel or skell if it goes down.

>.>

EDIT3:

Regarding the ending. My thoughts...
Spoiler: show
DAMNIT JAPAN FUCK YOUR DLC BAIT CLIFFHANGER ENDING

Last edited by Teles; 12-10-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Nice set of robutts! Here mine:

I kinda slowed down already tho, getting lesser characters to lv 30 so i can get them some robots too. I think i'm at chapter 8 or 9 (the one after beating Goetia)...

Loving the game so far tho!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
Manamii
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangoose View Post
The game is fanastic! Other than some minor interface/gamepad issues it's excellent!

It does have some major FFXIII feel too...world, weapons, music, gear...everything has that "FFXIII feel".

My currentcharacter/robutt:

well the game gave me PSO/PSO2 feeling for it especially the game artstyle and design even for the weapons and gear.
and your character
Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #13
catastrophie
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Lol, I really feel like I am missing something when I play this game. So far every boss fight I've had to drop it down to easy mode to finish the fight. I am running a sniper class and in all it feels like I am ability starved ... meaning I am waiting on cooldowns to attack.

Also, just finally go my skells and my party up to 30 to equip them .... all they do is explode ... mainly the problem the game has is the ai team aggro multiple enemies in the area and end up linking a 50+ mob that one shots me before I know it and the other issue is mobs attack thru terrain as you run away ...

Still, I like the game ... I just really feel like something is going sideways inflicting more stress than it should... or snipers just suck >.>
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophie View Post
Lol, I really feel like I am missing something when I play this game. So far every boss fight I've had to drop it down to easy mode to finish the fight. I am running a sniper class and in all it feels like I am ability starved ... meaning I am waiting on cooldowns to attack.

Also, just finally go my skells and my party up to 30 to equip them .... all they do is explode ... mainly the problem the game has is the ai team aggro multiple enemies in the area and end up linking a 50+ mob that one shots me before I know it and the other issue is mobs attack thru terrain as you run away ...

Still, I like the game ... I just really feel like something is going sideways inflicting more stress than it should... or snipers just suck >.>
I was forced to use it the first time at chapter 9 battle. Blocking robots at later fights makes no sense. ; ;

But yeah some classes are really horrible. I like Bastion Warrior a lot (very bulky and strong with tank arts/skills. Got almost 8k HP as it. ^^) and really hated that raygun/knife branch (don't remember the class name...it's pretty much a RDM class, with debuffs, healing, dispel art, HP <=> TP convert art, etc).

The one with Psycho Launchers is good too (even tho psycho launchers are mainly fot TP build). I still need to try the others.

One thing that has been helping me is that both weapons have independent cooldown so you can keep swapping them while the other is at cooldown. This helps you build TP faster. This psycho launcher one you can build TP nonstop while waiting cooldown because both weapons have around 1.5s auto-attack delay so swapping weapon as soon as you see damage number leaves you with 0 cooldown.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #15
catastrophie
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well I can say. Once you hit rank 10 on the last skill tree you unlock the weapon use for the other classes.

Yeah I am now on Ch 9 and I am far behind the story curve (or so I thought) as in you unlock the Skell's at 20 and I was 25 by the time I got the mission unlocked.

I had to take a break yesterday after I was doing a random mission to put an end to a death cult way up in Cauldros. For SOME reason the group of humans got past the lvl 60 mobs (that shoot thru walls) and all my Skells get wrecked trying to get to them ....
Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
Lunartail
Drinky Kitteh :3
Forum Member

Location: In the Mist, Limsa Lominsa, currently looking for a small home to convert into a tavern

loving the game myself, think i spend alot of time just exploring tho lol

dont have a skell yet ;/
NN ID is MoonlightEspada if anyone wants to find my char for scouting easyer~

:x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RjcCOdc.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	169402   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4De2PZ.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	169403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ozo1pOx.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	169404  

Click image for larger version

Name:	t5GYHIY.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	169405  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunartail For This Useful Post:
zangoose (12-12-2015)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #17
FrancisDaync
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Default Wii U Xenoblade

There seems to be less games that take advantage of the touchscreen on the Wii U than the DS and 3DS. Heck, there even seems to be less games that take advantage of an extra screen. Its usually just for the opinion of playing the game without a TV display.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions