Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 02:07 AM   #61
Nahald
Kitten Butt
Forum Member

Thanks for your advice. By the way, while your'e on the subject, could you perhaps make a mod that makes all male smallclothes invisible? I tried doing it myself using the method that you deccribed, but I can't seem to get it right. I know it would only be a "Ken doll" nude mod, but it's better than nothing at this point.

UPDATE: So now that I have my problem sorted out (turns out I never tuned on DirectX 11 in FFXIV, derp <.<) I was able to test my "mod." The way I did it is I simply filled the entire blue channel with black, since I wanted all of the smallclothes to b invisible. Well, it made the smallclothes disappear, but the entire crotch area of that particular model was completely invisible. Whether this is because it's not there to begin with or because the alpha is blocking it, I cannot say. Although I would like to note something that does confuse me quite a bit. So I used Tex Edit to look at the smallclothes for all the female races, as I have a nude mod applied to all of them, at the moment. Even though their smallclothes clearly aren't visible with the mod applied, all the textures for them appear as normal. Just what are these mods doing to make female's smallcothes disappear without altering any textures?

Last edited by Nahald; 05-22-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #62
Semen Demon
XMan Milk MephistophelesX
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahald View Post
text
Do you ever read anything anyone else writes if it isn't directed directly at you or look for info on your own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
I was actually trying to do the same thing until I ran into that, too. Is there no way to have the smallcloth base go underneath instead of the invisible model right now then?

Where would someone even begin to learn how to do that? Should I be looking at the VRS thing or blender or something? I'm new to this modding thing, but super curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semen Demon View Post
there is probably a way that doesn't involve merging(the parts that don't overlap) with 3d models but I dunno lol

You can either try to learn how to make something for editing the 3d models or wait for someone else to do it, VRS might work, but I think it's better to just wait, unless you plan on making a profit like naughtwvr or something
to answer the other question, the mod Wvr made probably makes it load from a different files for the model otherwise it replaced them, which has all been mentioned a few times on here
Old 05-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #63
Nahald
Kitten Butt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semen Demon View Post
Do you ever read anything anyone else writes if it isn't directed directly at you or look for info on your own?

to answer the other question, the mod Wvr made probably makes it load from a different files for the model otherwise it replaced them, which has all been mentioned a few times on here
Honestly I'm still new to this whole texturing thing. Most of this stuff was Greek to me until a few days ago.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #64
tl13l
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linko View Post
So I know that it has to do with the alpha channel in the color palette, but not much else than that, I ran into something similar back when I was testing things with ffxiv browser, I figured out that the alpha channel was affecting the texture but couldn't really find the correlation between the two.
I figured it must have been something along those lines once I scrutinized it, though the chain mail bit being lost made me doubt if the alpha channel had anything to do with it.

Must have missed that post--it's an interesting one, in any case. So the alpha channel values on palettes seems to call some sort of texture filter from somewhere... I'll experiment with it soon.

Last edited by tl13l; 05-22-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #65
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahald View Post
So I used Tex Edit to look at the smallclothes for all the female races, as I have a nude mod applied to all of them, at the moment. Even though their smallclothes clearly aren't visible with the mod applied, all the textures for them appear as normal. Just what are these mods doing to make female's smallcothes disappear without altering any textures?
The mod is literally removing the entire gear mesh and only leaves the body mesh.

Each individual gear item has 2 meshes, one for the body and one for the piece of gear, if you look back at the first question I answered on my previous post you'll see the pictures for 2 meshes for the original female top smallclothes. Now, what the mod does is modify the body mesh by filling in the missing space and removes the actual gear mesh, leaving only what you see on the image below the first 2 in my post.

So in the end, it doesn't matter what the textures for the piece of gear look like because the mesh to which that texture is applied is just not there anymore.

To accomplish what you're trying to do, the same process would have to be done for the male models, which is filling in that space that is originally filled with the gear mesh, and then removing the gear mesh.

This can be done currently with VRS, and may be done in Blender once I work out some issues with importing modified 3D files. So you'll have to learn a bit about 3D modeling in those programs and in general, or wait until someone does it and posts it somewhere.

Last edited by linko; 05-23-2016 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 AM   #66
samanthal
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Does anyone know the exact purpose of the fourth column of pure red in the color maps? Normally it looks like in the OP However, I've noticed that in the Augmented Cashmere Robe of Healing, the fourth column has a single green pixel at the very top. You can go check for yourself. I checked the DDS file and that green pixel is almost, but not quite pure green. For reference, the red pixels are absolutely pure red. I'm not a master of texturing and all that, so it makes no sense to me. If editing pixels in that line could result in a significant change, I'd certainly like to know what it does.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 AM   #67
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthal View Post
Does anyone know the exact purpose of the fourth column of pure red in the color maps? Normally it looks like in the OP However, I've noticed that in the Augmented Cashmere Robe of Healing, the fourth column has a single green pixel at the very top. You can go check for yourself. I checked the DDS file and that green pixel is almost, but not quite pure green. For reference, the red pixels are absolutely pure red. I'm not a master of texturing and all that, so it makes no sense to me. If editing pixels in that line could result in a significant change, I'd certainly like to know what it does.
I've noticed this as well, I've seen mostly 1 or 2 green pixels but I've also seen a more yellowish one on for example the Saurian Shirt of Striking. I'll have to mess with it see if it does anything, but I think I tried once before and nothing happen, it could also be associated with those models having a variant that does an effect, although some of the augmented gear that shows vfx doesn't have that green pixel.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #68
hatsune2miku
Forum Member

How did you export meshes from data files? Is there any way to export face and body meshes?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #69
samanthal
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by linko View Post
I've noticed this as well, I've seen mostly 1 or 2 green pixels but I've also seen a more yellowish one on for example the Saurian Shirt of Striking. I'll have to mess with it see if it does anything, but I think I tried once before and nothing happen, it could also be associated with those models having a variant that does an effect, although some of the augmented gear that shows vfx doesn't have that green pixel.
I'll probably fiddle with it a bit and see if there's any effect. Another question I have is how do the color maps interact with the diffuse map? There are a lot of textures that have a diffuse map with a little to a lot of texture painted on them, but then the alpha channel of the normal map shows that something from the color map is also being placed in that spot. Anyone have a clue about how the two interact?

Last edited by samanthal; 05-23-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #70
tl13l
Forum Member

Well, I tried digging into the alpha channel matter a bit, but I couldn't get very far without errors and crashes show stopping me.

I wonder if I am even having the same problem, however. I went ahead and retraced my steps with the Chaos Cuirass before, this time with the Cotton Tabard, and my results seem inconsistent with what linko's experience has been. (Disregard my messy normal map edits.)

Again, simply saving the .dds for the palette file, opening it in PS, resaving it with no changes, and importing it causes it to look different. linko's post described trying to figure out how to get rid of the bumpy / cotton-y texture, which required editing the alpha channel on the palette. This is apparently quite easy for me, however, because all I have to do is re-save it and it does not seem to save correctly.

These are the settings I'm using. They should be consistent? I open with the Intel drivers and save with the nVidia drivers just as the tutorial described.

Is anyone else getting the same results from simply exporting and importing an otherwise unchanged colorset DDS?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #71
samanthal
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

I have a feeling that's due to compression. DXT5 isn't a lossless format, so re-saving an otherwise untouched file could potentially cause more compression than before. I've tested using the GIMP DDS plugin by opening the file, then re-exporting without touching it at all. It looks like there's minor changes in the look of the top, but it doesn't seem like it's to the extent as in your picture. I'd chalk it down to recompression and recommend you use GIMP for all the file types it can handle.

Additionally, if you're planning on going back and revisiting a piece multiple times to make tweaks, I recommend saving the canvas in a non-DDS format that doesn't compress to work on, and only exporting to the DDS file to see how it looks, but never opening an already edited file to edit again.

Final edit, hopefully. Can someone check the Augmented Healer's Circlet? I keep editing its color and normal map, but whenever I do I can load it once or twice at best before it crashes my game whenever I try to load it. TexTools gives me an error message whenever I try to view any part of it, which I've already submitted a bug report about. But I want to see if anyone else can replicate the issue. I have to restore my dats from backup every single time when this happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ffxiv_dx11_2016-05-23_17-04-17.png
Views:	176
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	173282  

Last edited by samanthal; 05-24-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #72
tl13l
Forum Member

Hmm, but this is only the colorset / palette file I am changing between the two screenshots. Should that really have an impact on the way the textures look? It does look slightly more compressed, but I think the link between the colorset and the end result with messed up 'textures' is what's tripping me up.

I'll experiment with GIMP regardless, though I would think if it was a regular compression issue that it should've been known through linko's experimentation, given that the method came from the tutorial in the OP, after all.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #73
samanthal
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl13l View Post
Hmm, but this is only the colorset / palette file I am changing between the two screenshots. Should that really have an impact on the way the textures look? It does look slightly more compressed, but I think the link between the colorset and the end result with messed up 'textures' is what's tripping me up.

I'll experiment with GIMP regardless, though I would think if it was a regular compression issue that it should've been known through linko's experimentation, given that the method came from the tutorial in the OP, after all.
You're just editing the color map? I haven't looked at the plugins, but I'd wager it's either a PS setting or for some reason something that shoudn't be compressed is being. I've been hex editing my palettes, so I haven't run into that problem.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #74
samanthal
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

A question for Linko as I'm poking around: Do you know where particle effects are stored? I'm trying to edit the Hellfire Claws, and nothing I've found there does it. The weapon does have a part B, but there's next to nothing in it, and editing what little exists hasn't done anything for me. First post says VFX, which I'm assuming is particles?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #75
Nahald
Kitten Butt
Forum Member

Well, something's gone wrong with FFXIV Tex Tool. I tried playing around some of the normal texture mods which, for whatever reason, didn't work out and would cause FFXIV to crash. So in the end I reverted everything back and started over. Only now whenever I apply a diffuse mod, such as the one I've been using, the game crashes whenever I try to login. I've never had this problem before and not even a reinstallation of Tex Tool would do anything. I'm thinking I might need to reinstall FFXIV.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 AM   #76
samanthal
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahald View Post
Well, something's gone wrong with FFXIV Tex Tool. I tried playing around some of the normal texture mods which, for whatever reason, didn't work out and would cause FFXIV to crash. So in the end I reverted everything back and started over. Only now whenever I apply a diffuse mod, such as the one I've been using, the game crashes whenever I try to login. I've never had this problem before and not even a reinstallation of Tex Tool would do anything. I'm thinking I might need to reinstall FFXIV.
You don't have to. If you backed up your data, restore a backup. Additionally, find the .modlist file in your ffxiv directory, open it with notepad, and delete everything out of it then save. That should fix any problems you're having and you'll be good to mod again.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:09 AM   #77
Nahald
Kitten Butt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthal View Post
You don't have to. If you backed up your data, restore a backup. Additionally, find the .modlist file in your ffxiv directory, open it with notepad, and delete everything out of it then save. That should fix any problems you're having and you'll be good to mod again.
Yeah, I was kind of a moron when I first downloaded WVR's mod and didn't back anything up, so I honestly should reinstall anyway. I also couldn't find that modlist file you mentioned. In fact, the only file I could find that was like that was a file I found on my desktop. Hopefully a full reinstall will fix everything.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 AM   #78
tl13l
Forum Member

You definitely want to make a backup of the sqpack folder. If anything goes wrong, delete the contents of the faulty sqpack folder and copy over the files from the back up, and it should work fine. If you don't delete it, the copy just overwrites XIV's game files but does not change a probably faulty or corrupted modlist.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 AM   #79
Nahald
Kitten Butt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl13l View Post
You definitely want to make a backup of the sqpack folder. If anything goes wrong, delete the contents of the faulty sqpack folder and copy over the files from the back up, and it should work fine. If you don't delete it, the copy just overwrites XIV's game files but does not change a probably faulty or corrupted modlist.
Well, deleting the modlist's contents didnt' work... Just gonna do a reinstall now, need to get the original files anyway.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #80
Lhewds
Forum Member

Realy Great Mod Linko, so easy to use

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion