Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #301
Skarwind
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX can be customized with Ruby Scripts. I've messed with both and I've made some promising fuck around games lol. Sprites are better then nothing.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #302
Widget
Beneath "The Bell-Jar"
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarwind View Post
RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX can be customized with Ruby Scripts. I've messed with both and I've made some promising fuck around games lol. Sprites are better then nothing.
Unless I've collossally under-estimated the potential of the ruby scripting language, no amount of "breaking" any version of RPGM is gonna create an MMO.

I completely agree that abusing an RPG-maker engine is fun, it's just not an efficient way to create a game.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #303
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Well, I'll say this much: The original intention was to have a full-3D MMO. The programming wasn't the issue, I was making more than enough progress. I only stopped because I realized it was going to be pointless to continue if we weren't getting 3D models.

We wanted to create our own world to run around in, our own quests and adventures. If we merely wanted to be naked and talk to each other, there are any number of places that can be done already, like Second Life. Similarly, if we wanted it to be 2D it would be a lot less work, but there are already a number of places we could do that already. Heck, there's a nude Ragnarok Online private server. I have played with RPG Maker XP, and even made a semi-nude game in it at one point, and though there is a patch to make it an MMO, the engine itself is hardly MMO-quality.

What we wanted to do was something completely different from what anybody else had done, something that didn't exist anywhere else. I could have programmed all day and gotten it up and running, but without models it would have been pointless, and we'd need a lot more than one (if that) person making 3D models. There's just an astronomical amount of work involved in it. If we can get some 3-4-5 people willing to work hard on making the hundreds of models, in the format I need for the code, I'll drag the code out again. That aside, I think I'm done. Any other form the project takes would be far too different from the original intention for me to really contribute. Depending on the format, it would probably even require a skillset I just don't have.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #304
Corrderio
Yeah I got nuthin'
Forum Member

You could pull a runescape V1 and make shitty 2D isometric characters and whatnot >.>
Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #305
Wintermute
Postcount Manipulator
Forum Member

Even that, I think, would be a ton of work for someone to do solely on their free time...
Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #306
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Each and every one of us spent a lot of time on this, fully aware of the fact that it may not ever be completed. We knew the risks, yet we still put in the countless hours because it was fun and we were learning things that we may use in the future.

The project, though dead, could possibly be revived if there were an outpouring of support in the manner we were seeking before. Teamwork is the foundation of all game creation. Our team wasn't big enough.

We had originally planned for the players to learn the backstory one mission at a time. It was a similar system to what FFXI had, but I had some ways of making it a little more unique.

I do have concept story outlines if people are interested in what I had in mind. With a little work, I could possibly turn it into a short story, or more precisely, a series of short stories.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #307
Corrderio
Yeah I got nuthin'
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Even that, I think, would be a ton of work for someone to do solely on their free time...
Yeah, it'd be so and so with what you're talking about.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #308
snowangl
Chubby 'n Sexy
Forum Member

Hello!
This all sounds really cool!
Has anyone looked at Unity?
it's an awesome game engine that is open source can be tweaked for whatever is needed, and the in-game graphic renderer isn't so bad so we couild extract it if noone wants to build one. Not that we means I am trying to weasel my way into this project. As far as as models for the game it is compatible with everything autodesk and quite a few more! take a look if nothjing else it's woth taking a look.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #309
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Since the original idea is dead already, why don't you guys make a flash TCG (or table game...or a mix of both) to play here? A good example would be using the same basic idea of Gaia Online games...mixing a IM and the game so ppl can chat and play online. ^^

That's kinda simple, can use 3d models (even tho i really would like, if using 3D models, a SD thing like those emotes =P) to stand like active cards (or replacing them), like some of the old yu-gi-oh DS games.

Usually cardgames are easy to create and i bet card effects wouldn't be a problem either.

If you decide making a table game, another sugestion is making maps like Lego...check ou the tactics games' maps...like FFT, Vandal hearts, etc...could make the map made by "blocks". Once you set the dimensions of a block you can, pretty much, only set where the piece will be and let the board be built during runtime only...this way you would need to save only the blocks and some kind of guide that say where each block goes.

Anyway, that's just some suggestion incase you guys are still willing to make something, but not even close in size to a real MMO.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #310
snowangl
Chubby 'n Sexy
Forum Member

You know maybe I should've read to the bottom before opening my mouth
Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #311
Corrderio
Yeah I got nuthin'
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangoose View Post
Since the original idea is dead already, why don't you guys make a flash TCG (or table game...or a mix of both) to play here? A good example would be using the same basic idea of Gaia Online games...mixing a IM and the game so ppl can chat and play online. ^^

That's kinda simple, can use 3d models (even tho i really would like, if using 3D models, a SD thing like those emotes =P) to stand like active cards (or replacing them), like some of the old yu-gi-oh DS games.

Usually cardgames are easy to create and i bet card effects wouldn't be a problem either.

If you decide making a table game, another sugestion is making maps like Lego...check ou the tactics games' maps...like FFT, Vandal hearts, etc...could make the map made by "blocks". Once you set the dimensions of a block you can, pretty much, only set where the piece will be and let the board be built during runtime only...this way you would need to save only the blocks and some kind of guide that say where each block goes.

Anyway, that's just some suggestion incase you guys are still willing to make something, but not even close in size to a real MMO.
A TCG? That'd be annoying.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #312
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
A TCG? That'd be annoying.
Depends of the game rules...some tcgs are annoying, just like some table games are too...but some are very fun

And i think TCG/table games are, pretty much, the easiest kind of real game (screw these tetris/snake games) to make.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #313
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

What the hell? Why not.

I'm downloading Unity. Gonna take a gander. No promises though.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #314
Marafice_Eye
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick View Post
What the hell? Why not.

This makes me wish I knew anything about 3d modeling and rendering.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #315
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick View Post
What the hell? Why not.

Know what? I think I might, too - and maybe start up with some 3D models again. Should be having some free time come my way soon, and I've gotten better with modeling (on-the-job training) and just picked up a trial of ZBrush (amazingly awesome for high-poly modeling). I mean hey, I'm willing to restart this if you guys are, too.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #316
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i would help with modelling but 3DS max enrages me to no end other then that i only know how to use unreal engine >.>
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #317
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Been looking at Unity. Its very nice for a free game engine. It has some serious advantages.

- Seamless importing of mesh/texture/etc from 3DSMax (its as simple as drag & drop).
- Many preset textures. Many more are downloadable. (This could save us months if we use them.)
- An interface remarkably similar to Metasequoia if you've used that before.
- Many online tutorials available from the developers.
- Importing from Maya.

I'm wondering what you think, fudgie. Yea or nay?
Should we contact Nakate and see what he thinks?

Anyone else out there interested in this?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #318
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

In a word: yes. In more than one word: Hell yes.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #319
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

I may check Unity too. I never was able to actually make a good engine work here other than the old old click & play so it would be an interesting thing to do ^^

Could use some kind of incremental modeling, so would make the basic and, only when the basic is already working correctly, start adding more stuff.

I know i'm better in tossing ideas/suggestions than hardworking (my skills in modeling/programing are kinda weak) but if this engine goes smooth here i may lend a hand too ^^

Last edited by zangoose; 03-17-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #320
Wingblade
Au Ra Samurai
Forum Member

If you need help with anything let me know, I need to get some work for 3ds Max... It would give me a way to use the program as well as have stuff to put in my Portfolio :P. I just graduated so i need sometihng to do in my field XD

Edit: I also work in Maya, Just have to get it installed again lol... If you need Textures let me know as well. I do pretty good work with Photoshoping textures. And if you want throw some tideas my way and I will see what i can make :P, I have done quite a bit with the Modeling programs :)

Last edited by Wingblade; 03-17-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions