Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,588 Times in 3,421 Posts

Default As by request by naughtyWVR

As by request by naughtyWVR on the forums, he/she has asked the file to be removed/stop being posted.

As I don't specifically read/know which files and or threads he wants removed, I will be waiting for a confirmation from him on what "posts" have the offending "files for download".
The Following User Says Thank You to Gulkeeva For This Useful Post:
Wren (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
ANaughtyMiqote
Perverted Programmer
Forum Member

I'd normally be okay with this, but he's charging for the second version of a mod that's no different from the first. That's just not cool.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ANaughtyMiqote For This Useful Post:
moonie (09-17-2017), PrettyKitty (09-16-2017), Wren (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANaughtyMiqote View Post
I'd normally be okay with this, but he's charging for the second version of a mod that's no different from the first. That's just not cool.
Unfortunately, to keep the site in the DMCA safe harbor area requests for files to be taken down have to be taken down.

All the files he has linked to have been taken down. I do not personally go searching for the files. It would take too long (and also, part of the DMCA act requires the victim to point out the offending files).
Wren (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
ANaughtyMiqote
Perverted Programmer
Forum Member

Just when I thought this guy couldn't be any more of a jerk, now he's a conman and a bully. Damn shame. I don't think he really has any grounds to stand on with his DMCA BS since he doesn't own the rights to use FFXIV images in his program, but it's your call and I'll abide by the rules.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ANaughtyMiqote For This Useful Post:
moonie (09-17-2017), PrettyKitty (09-16-2017), Wren (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
garath
Miqo'te Enthusiast
Forum Member

Tumblr: garath79

I know Gulkeeva is more or less stuck being Devils advocate in this situation because he runs this site and has to adhere to rules that govern it.

But yea, I don't see how the DMCA claim would stick, unless NaughtyWvr owns SE, he can't lay claim to copyright on images and meshes owned by them that are already in the game, or not in the game and just not visible to players (I.E. the nude meshes) So unless he copyrighted the program he created, he more or less has no basis on the claim, and possibly having shared the program online without a copyright, it could potentially fall into the realm of Freeware. Which means good luck getting that to stick in court.

I'm not trying to rock the boat here, I am merely making an observation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita..._Copyright_Act
The Following User Says Thank You to garath For This Useful Post:
Wren (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Rinko
Forum Member

Ummm... naughtyWVR is breaking the DMCA by selling his mod is the first place.. Capcom recently sued a SFV modder for selling mods under the DMCA... so yeah nuaghtyWVR has no case...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rinko For This Useful Post:
Mezi (09-16-2017), Wren (09-16-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #7
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Pretty much as from what I hear.. "the work you did" on something can be claimed as yours, not the actual thing your working on.

Just a randomish example.

Its like you can claim a car design, and no one else may copy it without your approval.

Of course you don't "own" the metals that went into that car, or the rubber for the tiers, or the process that made those tires, the metal refining process, the windshield or the glass making process for that shield.. some other company made those things... "but" that car design so and so made, owns the rights to that design.

As strange as that sounds, it can be used in that way to DMCA someone.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-site...github-170902/

Pirate streaming site uses DMCA, to block someone stealing its.. pirate stream.

with the example above, "someone" could also report Neko-sentai also, if the "files" in question are not removed to SE, which could make things worse.

Its most likely someone reported to him this site, and a link to the file(s) so that action had to be taken, otherwise it would just sit there forever, and or SE started searching for said file.

As a side note, the "method"? on how to "remove" protection on the file will not be removed, as that isn't a file, just information.

tl;dr Better to be safe than sorry, if its not removed by request from naughtyWVR, he and or someone else can report to SE and then SE can do the official DMCA also to neko-sentai, which would make things worse.

Last edited by Gulkeeva; 09-17-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Wren (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Mezi
F5 button breaker
Forum Member

so just to make this clear for everyone..

Gulk doesn't want to HOST the file. TALKING about the file and everything with it is ok?
Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezi View Post
so just to make this clear for everyone..

Gulk doesn't want to HOST the file. TALKING about the file and everything with it is ok?
Yup thats fine.

As long as the actual files aren't posted, you can talk about it, post a guide about it etc etc.

Its not a copyright issue to do something yourself, that isn't "using" someone else's work, same for posting a guide of how to do something. As long as said person doesn't use the guide, to create a copy of another's work and sell it as "their own" anyway. But that's another story in the world of DMCA...

Old 09-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
garath
Miqo'te Enthusiast
Forum Member

Tumblr: garath79

Honestly this could be a good thing for the community, in that hopefully it renews the drive to create a free mod for those to enjoy much like the days of FFXI.

As far as naughtywvr goes I can't begrudge the guy what he's done, but ultimately he's upset because he was unable to capitalize on the Double dip when 4.0 released. He probably assumed SE would change the textures used on the character models there by forcing everyone to purchase the mod again, it was a huge gamble on his end, and it flopped, and now he's lashing out.

I don't see SE revamping the textures anytime soon, unless they give us a butt slider (which they've all but said is not happening) it's no small task, so realistically unless they release something like Direct-X 12, 13, ect... the current mod will likely work into the foreseeable future, and by then hopefully the community here will have some kind of answer for it when it happens.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Eiko-chan
Forum Member

dude's a dick, plain and simple. I will share the hacked version as i please. :p mods like this should be free. that's something i always hated about the sims1. there were PAID things made with 256x256 textures. Not worth a damn dime, but people charged for them.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Rinko
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
tl;dr Better to be safe than sorry, if its not removed by request from naughtyWVR, he and or someone else can report to SE and then SE can do the official DMCA also to neko-sentai, which would make things worse.
If this is the case Gulk. Then you might wanna remove any links to the paid version as well cause NS can still get in trouble for those.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Noelemahc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

I just personally think it's sad that someone puts mods behind a paywall. As someone who is a very active modder in several communities and has done TONS of mods before, I'm totally against charging for mods. It greatly annoys me when I see someone else trying to make a profit off of them for a game they never even built.

I mean sure, I understand the time, sweat, and tears that go in to mods. I totally get it as a modder myself. But the spirit behind modding is to share creations with other individuals and collectively make a game or community better for it. I mean, it's always awesome when people make things, and even more awesome when we share together.

I do get annoyed when people are demanding or pushy, because there is a lot of entitlement running around modding communities as well. I see it every time I release mods. "You should do X" or "Why didn't you do Y?", etc. and I understand the want to be compensated. But I mean this is just for fun. Plus we don't even own the original assets or the game we are modding so... without piggybacking off of the work of the developers, there would be no mods at all. So charging for slight modifications to content that isn't even yours to begin with is totally greedy.

That said, I totally understand and respect your decision. From an administrative standpoint, I absolutely agree with you and would do the same thing. I just can't believe someone would go DMCA on the website over one mod. That's pretty juvenile in my own personal opinion, but to each their own.

Anyway, thanks for informing us!
Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinko View Post
If this is the case Gulk. Then you might wanna remove any links to the paid version as well cause NS can still get in trouble for those.
Pointing to another website is fine.
pointing to a direct download on another website is not fine.

Unless some law changes that anyway, which I don't think it has...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiko-chan View Post
dude's a dick, plain and simple. I will share the hacked version as i please. :p mods like this should be free. that's something i always hated about the sims1. there were PAID things made with 256x256 textures. Not worth a damn dime, but people charged for them.

Not like anyone can see/track any privately sent information...!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion