Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Maps pieced together

For all maps check here:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/mediawiki/i...&target=Viionx

Scroll down to
# 09:46, 1 September 2010 (hist) (diff) N File:Thanalan.jpg ‎ (Thanalan) (top)

I'm building this like advanced map planner for XIV for guilds or people who just like overlay maps and I started to pull the maps from the dats. Unfortunately its not like 1 big image you can just use, you have to piece it together from a bunch of 256 images.

I've only done Cassi Hollow but i'll upload more as I finish them XD Hopefully have all of them done very soon, though I couldnt find maps outside La Noscea so maybe they've not put them in yet but i'll have another gander.

Finally pieced together the whole of La Noscea, was like 381 dds files >< very huge map coming in at a nice 4600x4600 resolution (ish) and 10mb :O thats for a Photoshop jpg then compressed with mspaint lol Be like 50mb as a png! Enjoy :) - Will be splitting into north/south/east/west for Eorzeapedia.

I had to zip the La Noscea map as its 10mb and limit is 5!

new; Uploaded a beta version of the my FFXIV Map Marker, its pretty basic at the moment, you can go through each map and place designated markers each map has its own list in the markers folder. Controls are on startup screen. I plan to add more features such as drawing, animation, event paths and finally live publications (so you can collaborate live with friends easily).

I know at this stage, application building is fairly useless until we know 100% what is going to be in, this uses 0 ingame offsets, its totally offline app. In future i plan to make another which will hook to XIV and sync up with your ingame movement, just like ingame map does, but you'd have all the features of this, maybe make it overlay like mapmon did. Ah well we'll see how things go :D

- Updated FFXIV Map Marker
Undo feature, should work on pen/text/icons
Save should work for pen/text/icon
Find marker
more options
some UI adjustments
Pen works same as icons, select it, then choose point 1 then select next point and it'll draw a line keep drawing to draw your path. plan to add some graphic indication of what is going on

- Added Limsa Lominsa
- Added Cassiopeia Hollow
- Added Mistbeard Cove
- Added La Noscea (Small)
- Added La Noscea
- Added La Noscea (Small)
- Added South/East/West sections of La Noscea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cassiopeia_hollow_normal.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	68937   Click image for larger version

Name:	limsa_lominsa_normal.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	68939   Click image for larger version

Name:	mistbeard_cove_normal.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	68941  

Name:	la_noscea_small.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	68942   Click image for larger version

Name:	la_noscea_eastern.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	68944   Click image for larger version

Name:	la_noscea_lower.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	68945  

Name:	la_noscea_western.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	68946   Click image for larger version

Name:	preview.png
Views:	306
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	70613  
Attached Files
File Type: zip la_noscea_normal.zip (10.16 MB, 211 views)
File Type: zip Release.zip (3.37 MB, 182 views)

Last edited by Viion; 09-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viion For This Useful Post:
Abriel (08-28-2010), Kanikou (08-29-2010), richtv (12-08-2012), seculi017 (09-19-2010)
Old 08-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Twitter: Kanikou

Thanks, could come in real handy for things I plan to do :D
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanikou For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 08-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Glad you like, will be trying to find other maps tonight. But if non will wait until Open Beta patch and most likely replace Mistbeard map, since the one we have doesnt have its standard banner so im thinking its not finished.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viion For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
thebeing
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

I'll just toss out there that it would be nice if you would upload the lossless PNG or PSD of these pieced together maps, even if they are massive.

For archive and editing purposes, having images full of jpeg artifacts like the 10MB La Noscea JPEG you posted is somewhat useless. Since you have already done the hard work of piecing them together, it would save someone else a lot of time, if you could post the lossless versions.

These maps actually do compress quite well as PNG. For optimal file sizes open the full BMP or Photoshop-saved PNG in Infranview and re-save it with the optional downloadable PNGOUT plug-in.

Photoshop, MSPaint, Paint.NET, etc, don't compress large PNG images very well. Yet there is a single minor benefit of saving a PNG in Photoshop first, before re-saving in Infranview. Photoshop always attaches a large number of informational PNG chunks (mainly color-management related) to the images which most other apps either don't add or even strip, and such information can't easily be recreated or recovered once the image is saved to PNG. Not a huge deal if they are missing, but something to keep in mind.

Use PNGOUT Plugin: Checked
Encoding: Binary
Color: Auto
Filter: Auto
BitDepth: Auto
Blocksplit Threshold: 128 (if too slow on your system use 256)
Max Passes: 10
Use Huffman Only: Unchecked
Preserve Pallet Order: Unchecked
Keep Chunks: ALL

Also, since it seems a few of your pieced together images are not exact multiples of 256x256 (the size of the .dds texture files), I can only assume you cropped off black borders?

Last edited by thebeing; 08-29-2010 at 05:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to thebeing For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Some of the DDS files overlap each other, they're not exact 256x256 split, the engine will most likely fit them together properly.

I dont have the original PSD, the PSD was almost 70mb big for that La Noscea map, the PNG's were very big and for general purposes it would be useless to have an image this big.

The images you see here are all compressed but with high quality, you'll see no visible difference between these and a lossless version that is lmoast 70mb big.

If you edit over these and save at 100% you'll see no changes in photoshop, it wouldnt reduce its quality anymore.

My application will soon allow you to export as jpg at 100% quality with all markers included, to add more markers of your own choosing you'd just add them to folder and icons.lst, i've just set it up to add labels and when i sort it out with drawing i will post update.

This mean someone can edit the maps and keep the quality they're at now without photoshop or any image editing skill.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
thebeing
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Hmm... Well if you don't have the original PSD anymore, I guess I'll have to go through and piece it together myself, when I have time. For general use, most people won't care about a few JPEG artifacts, but they are there. Since we have the ability to export all the maps, I see value in keeping an archive of un-touched lossless versions even if they end up being 10x larger.

As for the 256x256 textures overlapping, so far I haven't seen that myself when I pieced a couple maps together, I guess I was lucky. Now that I know that some overlap, I'll keep a close eye out for it.

For example, when I did the Limsa Lower map, it worked out to exactly 2560x2048 with all 256x256 dds files matching up exactly, as far as I could tell. The Eorzea Map was 1280x720, padded to 1280x768 with a black border.

Attached below is a 7z within a zip which includes PSD + PNG for example purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Limsa_Lower_Decks.zip (14.82 MB, 126 views)
File Type: zip Eorzea_Map.zip (3.00 MB, 129 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to thebeing For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

It might have been due to how the dat reader exports them, for example if you export a sound file, in some places it'll be cut off, but in others it wont be. It could just be due to the way its been formatted to its original file. The overlap is most likely because the maps i got are from Alpha maps, before they split them into different layers like Limsa used to be 1 big map, it never had upper and lower, this got adjusted in beta. But i honestly cant see any artifacts on the maps I provided, they are very high quality, though some misplaced due to overlap issues. I will write a small app that will just feed through all dds files and place them next to each other and export the result, might be easier and then photoshop from there.

EDIT:

I probably wont be putting PSD together of a loss less version of the maps until the release then I have 100% correct map data.

Also on my current version of the map marker in the OP, i've found some bugs:
- Moving the map when drawing lines will cause it to draw lines in inccorect locations.
- Deleting lines will prevent new lines from being saved.

Will upload a new version later XD off to bed

Last edited by Viion; 08-30-2010 at 06:50 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viion For This Useful Post:
oleum (09-18-2010), richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
oleum
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

OK I have been messing around with rapture and the Data View programs, but there is such a large file structure in the SqareEnix folder they don't want to read anything for me. My intention is to stitch together the map files into a set of 5 large .jpg maps and into smaller ones for each Aetheryte location. I would like to put these into your map app and have some markers there ready for release of the game on Wednesday. I very much doubt that there will be changes between now and wednesday so I don't think that its too soon now.

So where do I point these apps to extract the files and am I wasting time if someone already has high quality maps. A friend made a map of stitched together screenshots and I have to say that it looks better than the maps you have extracted.

I want to know if this is because the maps were from b3 and theirs is OB. Also you mentioned the program which extracted them extracting only some layers.
The text in particular seems a bit ragged in your maps.

Any help in getting a clean set of maps (where to find them in the game files) would be appreciated.

Edit: making sure .net3 and .net 4 were installed actually made DataView work.. so thats a start!

Last edited by oleum; 09-18-2010 at 09:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oleum For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

For rapture you need to export each piece of the map and piece it together in photoshop, or use another tool to do it for you.

my app version in op is very out dated and i've stopped working on it for now.

You should keep an eye out on http://ffxiv.ru/maps14/en/
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
oleum
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

The problem isnt putting the files together. It is extracting them from the .dat files. I am aware it means stitching together a lot of files however the alternative is still to stitch together a lot of screenshots.

The site you gave will have modified .dats in the game and as several of us are working together a shared coordinate list, which is essentially what the markers are is what I need rather than a game modification.

I have no idea how to get rapture working or how to extract the many small files to stitch together. This was where the question came from. I am not looking to modify the game files at all, just to use them to extract the relevant bmps or pngs or however they are stored.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

You open Rapture,
select XIV folder.
Scroll down till you see a map piece.
Hit export
click next file
hit export
click next file

about 300 times until you have a map.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
oleum
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

?The same question remains. WHICH directory is defined as the FFXIV directory. I have tried almost every directory in the tree from the Suare Enix folder to the individual munbered folders and Rapture will consistently complain that this is not recognised as a game folder. The other stuff, like the above I can comfortably do.

Edit: I only just noticed that your original app didn't reload the stored coordinates. Can it do that? Or do you have an updated version. As a generic tool its really potentially very useful. The design is really nice in that adding maps points icons etc is all transparent.

I managed to get a set of maps downloaded so I will not worry about extracting the dats, but having a fully working map tool would be awesome.

Last edited by oleum; 09-19-2010 at 07:09 AM.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I uploaded a new version (Release.zip)

I've stripped out the maps and just left 2 of uldah for example purposes.

Also when you place the maps in the folder, try keep the maps as just plain text, avoid numbers or symbols, because i think it dont work, that or the maps i tested for this guy just were currupt hah.

Put the maps in the folder then edit maplist.lst following the same format as uldah. "Map Name|filename.extension", if you add icons, remember to edit icons.lst, just copy same format as the ones in there.

Also the exact folder of final fantasy xiv is:

C:\Program Files\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version
Click the folder, then click ok.
oleum (09-20-2010), richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
oleum
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Thanks so much for that.
Its a simple idea I can see how it would be really useful to use in many MMOs.
I now have a slightly modified version with the 5 main region maps in it and am busy sticking in coordinates of all the gather points I know about.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

My plan was to have it so you could Save the files to an online server, then everyone with the application would be updated automatically.

Then using this, I could make it record party member Map positions, and display everyone on the map in real time.

It'd be sort of like a strategy army map, so a leader of a guild could make u plan hit submit n everyone with it would see it and see people in real time on the application so its easy to follow because the current ingame map fails to show pt members.

But who knows, i might do it, i might not, people might not like that its reading ffxiv memory.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
oleum
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

even just having the online feature without hooking to ffxiv would be great. Actually we are going to use it as a resource point map. Thanks again for your work.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #17
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

If one person likes it, then that makes all the time making the app totaly worth it :D

Tomorrow FFXIV is down for maintenance for 3hours, during this time i will add a feature for the application to allow quick sharing of maps, icons, mapdata and textnotes. There might be some kinks but we'll see how things go. I will also allow it to inform you when a user has uploaded new data, so you can always work from their version as well as automatic backups.

If there are any features you'd like, or any improvements please let me know.
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #18
fungku
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeing View Post
Hmm... Well if you don't have the original PSD anymore, I guess I'll have to go through and piece it together myself, when I have time. For general use, most people won't care about a few JPEG artifacts, but they are there. Since we have the ability to export all the maps, I see value in keeping an archive of un-touched lossless versions even if they end up being 10x larger.

As for the 256x256 textures overlapping, so far I haven't seen that myself when I pieced a couple maps together, I guess I was lucky. Now that I know that some overlap, I'll keep a close eye out for it.

For example, when I did the Limsa Lower map, it worked out to exactly 2560x2048 with all 256x256 dds files matching up exactly, as far as I could tell. The Eorzea Map was 1280x720, padded to 1280x768 with a black border.

Attached below is a 7z within a zip which includes PSD + PNG for example purposes.
Oh my gosh!

Is there any way I can get those PSD files with all the layers or separate images like the two attached to this post I quoted? Specifically for Thanalan, La Noscea, Black Shrowd, Coerthas, and Mordhana

I want to make an interactive map and want to include pre 2.0 Eorzea for fun, completeness (and practice).

It is better for me if I have the 256x256 tiles than the stitched images.
The Following User Says Thank You to fungku For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Viion
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungku View Post
Oh my gosh!

Is there any way I can get those PSD files with all the layers or separate images like the two attached to this post I quoted? Specifically for Thanalan, La Noscea, Black Shrowd, Coerthas, and Mordhana

I want to make an interactive map and want to include pre 2.0 Eorzea for fun, completeness (and practice).

It is better for me if I have the 256x256 tiles than the stitched images.
Use FFXIVTools to generate them, then just use a common tile exporter (like photoshop).

Its how we did http://xivpads.com/?-Maps at xivpads.com
fungku (11-27-2012), richtv (12-08-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
fungku
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viion View Post
Use FFXIVTools to generate them, then just use a common tile exporter (like photoshop).

Its how we did --- at xivpads.com
Thanks. I can do it, it just seems that since they are originally 256x256 tiles that it seems like lots of pointless steps.

Nice map btw, very similar to what I want to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to fungku For This Useful Post:
richtv (12-08-2012)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » FFXIV DAT Archives