Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #1
Krustnik02
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Default localization request

Can someone help with editing dat files or advice how to do it.
I want to do localization.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
arsenicc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

There used to be textools, but unless we get it fixed, doesn't look like we're gonna have a way to do anything. I've tried to get a hold of the programmer via the webpage, forum, and reddit, but no luck.

Might be worth it to pool some funds, and get someone to work on it for us?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Sense
Nobody
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenicc View Post
There used to be textools, but unless we get it fixed, doesn't look like we're gonna have a way to do anything. I've tried to get a hold of the programmer via the webpage, forum, and reddit, but no luck.

Might be worth it to pool some funds, and get someone to work on it for us?
If we find someone I am willing to donate some but not a large amount to be honest. Unsure on how many people would have interest. More importantly if we do try, it should be after the expansion since there is a tiny chance of having larger file sizes to play with plus who knows how much things could change for this sort of program.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #4
arsenicc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Our best bet seems to be Guy Incognito? I have zero programming background, but that guy managed to edit the dats via a hex editor (see the thread below) and he even managed to reverse engineer NaughtyWeavers mod. I think all textools needs is an offset adjustment, one that the guy who manages ffxiv explorer already knows. I actually think updating textools might be a quick fix?

Guy Incognito if you're out there, please let us know what you think.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Guy Incognito
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

As far as making tex tools able to not error out on launch: getting it to read files again is a lot less work then being able to write/rewrite them. 3rd party tools don't actually need to understand the xiv file formats 100% in the former case. Fixing the launch error is likely a quick fix vs getting it to fully work again (not that I know difficult fixing the latter is)

If I make anything substantial, it will be under LGPL/GPL. I can't really take a look at tex tools unless liinko is willing to release it under a similar license. I'm now covering territory that's far too similar that I might end up inadvertently using code from it in my stuff now if I do look at it.

With naughtywvr's installer, I was fairly sure going in that there was nothing dangerous code wise, pretty much the only thing of value inside the latter was the encryption keys. (Once I decrypted the npindexes, I didn't touch any of the installer's source code until I added the annotations, my extractor was written fully independently of it)
Old 02-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
arsenicc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

HRM I guess we're going to have to see if anyone can get a hold of liinko. I'll try again and see if I can reach the person.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
arsenicc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Well no luck still. Can't get a reply from this person, so I guess we're dead in the water.

@Guy, just to make sure, you're saying unless linko releases a version with the raw programming code instead of the .exe he uploaded, it actually isn't possible to update the program from the user end?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
Guy Incognito
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Well no luck still. Can't get a reply from this person, so I guess we're dead in the water.

@Guy, just to make sure, you're saying unless linko releases a version with the raw programming code instead of the .exe he uploaded, it actually isn't possible to update the program from the user end?
It's definitely possible, you can decompile it and recompile it with the same instructions as I gave for modifying naughtywvr's installer, it's the same unobfuscated net IL between both of them. I simply cant take a deeper look then "yes it's written against the net framework" because it's not open source (and that I have a major project planned).

If someone else wants to do it, their first goal would seem to be to fix the entry indexes, as file explorer's change log and textool's error message seems to imply the index counter has moved to a larger data type.

More importantly, even if I could look at it, I don't actually know for a fact I can fix it in a reasonable amount of time anyway. I'm still catching up on learning the xiv file formats and I don't exactly have any strong motivation to work much quicker then my current pace.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
arsenicc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

@Guy,

Could we possibly offer monetary incentive to supply you with coffee/beer?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Guy Incognito
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
@Guy,

Could we possibly offer monetary incentive to supply you with coffee/beer?
That's not the point, I want to help (or at least attempt to).

Everything up to this point I've done is pretty much based on the notes that Ioncannon made when he initially made file explorer, and I'm almost at the point that the docs end and I have to continue on my own. Both textools and file explorer does a lot more things then there are docs for, and they're both closed source.

I don't want to go and hypothetically fix textools, then have liinko (as an example, I'm not singling them out) say they don't want people looking at it's source and have to redo stuff in my works because right now I'm actually looking at the dat container/dat index file formats. (which is partially what broke textools)

I only looked at naughtywvr's installer because if it (the addons) ever breaks in the future; 4.0 is the most likely time it would break (if it breaks at all). My opinion is that if it's a paid app, we're within our rights to maintain it as naughtywvr has also stopped supporting it (more or less)
Old 02-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
ANON00101011
Forum Member

For those looking for a way to get around the serial key requirement for the naughtyWeaver patch, check out my post in General Discussion.

It will be labeled "naughtyWeaver Missing Serial Key 'Fixed'".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion