Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,434 Times in 3,368 Posts

Default So, one year in Japan... the good and the bad!

So, been living in Japan basically one year now. I've experienced a lot of things, gone to a lot of places with friends (Universal Studios, Disney Land, Comiket, AKihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya, various temples, sightseeing places, mountain trips, school festivals, school trips, many restaurants, tried many types of foods etc etc).

Anyway, this is my sort of list of what I've found great, and not so great from my personal experiences. Lets start with the bad/terrible/not so great things~!

The maybe bad, or not so good.
1. Lines - Because Japan is kinda small, everything is kinda small, like service counters. So you'll be waiting in a line for just about anything remotely good. Restaurants, popcorn line at Disney Land, a line to buy a crepe, a line to get train information, a line to the bathroom at the train station during busy hours.

2. Toilet Paper - This is not only a problem in America, its a problem in Japan as well... that ultra thin stick to your ass ultra thin sheets of toilet paper wtf people.

3. Toilets - Prepare your anus, your gonna lose your anal virginity to one of those "washlets" aka the water spraying toilet!

4. Peoples personality - Unlike most americans, where they will tell you to fuck off if you do something rude/stupid etc, most Japanese will endure with a small. However they will hold a life long grudge they will take to their graves for what you've done, and pass it down with their family line like you've committed some sin against humanity.

5. Taking Pictures - People don't like their pics taken, or shown and or both. You must ask permission to take pics of their faces. Doing so without permission can get you into serious trouble, especially at a school.

6. Peoples Personality #2 - Unless your familiar with someone, don't make jokes about them, or about others (especially about others). As much as you see Japanese like to have strange game shows and abusive behavior game shoes etc, most Japanese are down right dead serious most of the time.

Think of that police line "Anything you say, can and will be used against you", so think twice before making a joke to "try to break tension" with someone you don't know well, it can end up bad.

7. Food - Food portions are small, and expensive. If you eat a lot, prepare to pay for it, unless you find one of those "all you can eat" places. Make sure to check though... some places have a time limit on how long you can eat and will charge extra for overtime...

8. Food #2 - Don't expect Mc Donalds in Japan to taste like American food, much less match the size... same for KFC etc etc. The food is tailored to Japanese tastes so it may taste a bit weird...

Same for pizza, most American pizza choices have some sort of meat... pepperoni, sausage, hamburger, chicken, beef etc. Japan you will rarely see those choices, its more like shrimp, tuna, squid, octopus etc... (Oh god I miss American pizza)

9. Japanese like to "absolutely make sure" - They will check, double check, recheck everything to ensure something is done right. I spoke with the electric company earlier when changing my address and the conversation went like...

Hi, I'm changing to etc etc apartment.

Please give me your info of the old and new apartments

My old info, and my new info

Ok to check they repeat what I said

ok

Please repeat from your side to make sure

repeats above info

ok thanks, we will come by at ?:?? is this ok?

ok

Just to make sure, your new address is etc etc

yes

We will be by at ?:??, is this ok

yes its ok

so today, we will be by your address at ?:??

ok...

So we will see you at ?:?? at "your address", thank you for calling!

ok

thanks, see you at ?:??

ok, bye!

10. Speaking Japanese - Pretty much, if you show any ability to speak Japanese, they will think, you can speak it fluently, and say long complex sentences that are near impossible to decipher EVEN if you told them before, you speak very little. So be careful what you say and ask. Also, speaking a half Japanese and half English sentence is very confusing mainly because a Japanese sentence structure is different from American, so if you do both, and using English grammar method, its very confusing.

Example...ish

English
I like cats very much, do you like cats?

Japanese (maybe)
Cats I like very much, cats do you like?

So if you mix English and Japanese together it may look something like this to the Japanese guy
I like very much cat, do you cat like?
and then proceed to give you that "wtf did you just say" look, while trying to figure what you just said.

11. Movie theaters - What where? Not so popular in Japan, so good luck finding one, and when you do... its going to cost you...! Its like $18 to watch one movie or something.

12. Bills - Electric bill is crazy, and so is the mobile phone bill, which is average of about $60 a month! (unless your a new customer anyway)

The good
1. The food - If you like sea food, you will love it here, everything's pretty much seafood here, and its on everything like pizzas, pasta's and even ice cream! (Oh god I can't get enough sushi!)

2. Scenery - Japanese people like to keep things neat and clean in the streets and everywhere else. You won't see potholes etc on the roads and such unless your out far in the country, they really like to take care of their areas for the most part.

There are many parks and scenic places in Japan to visit also, its really great place to be if you like to take in nature.

3. Anime and Manga - Its everywhere! Only way to get a hold of some of the more rare stuff is to be in Japan also~

4. Customer service - They will go above and beyond what I've seen many american store staff will do, to ensure they find what your looking for usually. Had one guy actually go to the electronic section, borrow an electronic dictionary, get batteries and translate Japanese to English for me to understand what he was trying to say.

Moving to a new apartment, often times they will turn on the services for you (water/gas/electric). I wanted to try myself to get the experience so I tried myself... its a bit harder then I thought it would be >.>

5. Food #2 Japanese like sweets, so it won't be hard for you to find candy, or some form of sweets around. One of the more popular things it seems also, is French cuisine and sweets also with a touch of Japanese style added, so you can find that in cities also.

6. Personality - Many people are very nice (especially elderly females people for the most part, males on the other hand....). I recall one time sitting at a vending machine deciding what drink to get, and some women came up and asked if I needed help using the vending machine.

Another instance, was when I was moving stuff to my new apartment, some passerby-er offered to help me carry my stuff (she couldn't move it at all and gave up, hey but she tried!).

Another time, is when I got the flu at school, and did not carry enough cash to take a taxi back home, one of the teachers gave me money for a taxi ride to get back home which was really nice of them (she said I did not need to pay her back).

7. Internet - Its cheap and fast, how fast?
100mbps dl+ul = $$13/mo
1gbps =$28
2gbps = $58

8. Toilets in Japan - The washlet has a heated seat mode... which is amazing. No more sitting on a frozen toilet seat in winter!

--- Will add more as I think about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gulkeeva For This Useful Post:
Nattack (03-02-2017), Sekkite (05-05-2017), zangoose (03-01-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Nattack
Still here
Forum Member

Twitter: nattajerk
Tumblr: kaggentoo

>$18 to watch one movie

hot damn thats pretty cheap! i went to a movie with my girlfriend a couple months back to see Moana and it cost me 60 cdn, 30 a person, or roughly 23 us.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:14 AM   #3
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattack View Post
>$18 to watch one movie

hot damn thats pretty cheap! i went to a movie with my girlfriend a couple months back to see Moana and it cost me 60 cdn, 30 a person, or roughly 23 us.
Last time I went to the movies in America (like within the last 2 years), it was like $8-11ish O_o

Also see attached image, I found... what was missing in my life in Japan

Its kinda small and expensive, but its worth it. It isn't as hot as the kind you can get in America, but it still has the flavor so its not all that bad.

To give you an idea, the Japanese one is...
165g = about 6oz which is about $3.00 in Japan
28oz is $3.48 at Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sriracha-...28-Oz/10452869
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	181553  

Last edited by Gulkeeva; 03-02-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Dark_Soriel
Dark NetSeeker
Forum Member

I would love the roads of Japan. In canada, most notably the province of Quebec, the roads are shit. You want and crave potholes, come visit my province.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
Nattack
Still here
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
Last time I went to the movies in America (like within the last 2 years), it was like $8-11ish O_o

Also see attached image, I found... what was missing in my life in Japan

Its kinda small and expensive, but its worth it. It isn't as hot as the kind you can get in America, but it still has the flavor so its not all that bad.

To give you an idea, the Japanese one is...
165g = about 6oz which is about $3.00 in Japan
28oz is $3.48 at Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sriracha-...28-Oz/10452869
I thought sriracha was a Thai sauce, you would think it would be flowing like a river there.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Japanese for the most part, really don't like and or not used to hot food. All the hot food I've tried, from habanero sauce, tabasco sauce, to red chili sauce and "hot ramen/curry" etc... are nothing (to me anyway).

Especially habanero and tabasco sauce... the stuffs like a watered down version of the ones you can get in America.

On a scale 1 to 10 for Japan, and for America....

A 10 hot in Japan, would be like 3 in America

If like a table spoon of habanero sauce made your nose runny, you could probably down 1/2 a bottle in Japan and still be fine.

Edit

One bad thing I ran into today, as mentioned before lines in Japan are of epic proportions... Today I went to go turn in my VISA renewal application, the line was insane. It wasn't 30-45min wait... not even 1 hour or two... were talking 8... yes eight hour wait IN LINE, to talk to one of the counters, to turn in my application.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Nattack
Still here
Forum Member

dang, thats far too long. Hope you had some kind of entertainment.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattack View Post
dang, thats far too long. Hope you had some kind of entertainment.

Of course, the all mighty cellphone games and videos!

Although I forgot to bring a charger with me since I only expected an 2-3 hour wait....
Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
Leadleaf
I've a boner rn
Forum Member

Twitter: ErilsaA
Tumblr: erilsa

Quote:
5. Taking Pictures - People don't like their pics taken, or shown and or both. You must ask permission to take pics of their faces. Doing so without permission can get you into serious trouble, especially at a school.
Is it just America that's lax about this? England's about as uppity.

Quote:
8. Food #2 - Don't expect Mc Donalds in Japan to taste like American food, much less match the size... same for KFC etc etc. The food is tailored to Japanese tastes so it may taste a bit weird...
It's probably the same on global prepacked stuff too, I remember seeing a fellow tourist flip her shit because her "Cola wasn't Cola" at a Spanish town. I think there's some bad food laws going on as the corporate restaurants are usually serving edible food abroad.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

I think its just America in general that do't really give a fuck about pictures really (unless their drunk, and going on some random rage) :P

As for the food, I think its partly to "adapt" to the tastes of a country, and second... American food has "chemicals" that are outlawed in other countries... because... it makes you fat (probably) :P
Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Tohihroyu
Futa Princess
Forum Member

Tumblr: cuddleroyu

Did you try any of the Japan only McD's or burger king stuff? I think they still have Sakura themed stuff (or just pink, cos you can get shrimp flavored furikake for McDs fries)

Check out this guy he and sometimes him and his son go to various food places in Japan including street food, restaurants and even combini hauls (for eating a meal on the cheap) hot food vending machines and even a vending machine restaurant.

Have you tried staying in one of those Capsule hotels or sleeper trains?

Also Only in Japan is another jVlogger worth checking out
Old 04-14-2017, 02:13 AM   #12
Tskrian
Forum Member

This was actually very insightful! thanks for posting!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum