Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Fan Art

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Dhex
Forum Member

Default Dhex's Arbitrary Fan Junk [NSFW] (+18)

Well it's late - but I figured I might as well dump some things here. Some doodles are friends, and some are random.

I've kind of shifted from Illustrator to SAI recently so critique me on technique or lack thereof - I think I may stick with thicker lines and more "toon" looking artwork.

I keep flopping between different styles; most of what I know is graphic and design based in illustrator or pencil/paper so picking up a tablet has been a little weird.

Be gentle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roegadyn_by_dhex_ark-d69l5hi.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	130053   Click image for larger version

Name:	loli_dhex.png
Views:	106
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	130054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Violet .png
Views:	55
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	130055  

Click image for larger version

Name:	doodle.png
Views:	80
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	130056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miqote_want_more.png
Views:	131
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	130057  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dhex For This Useful Post:
ffxiAhleah (07-26-2013), Khomi (02-12-2016), SEES Johnny (07-23-2013), Vydos (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Vydos
Pervert Blacksmith!
Forum Member

Great stuff!!! I'll definately have to say to stick to thicker lines. They tend to make drawings come more to live. Thin lines are good to be used for varied line weight. But at the moment they're too thin and light, almost causing them to fade away in the white background.

Besides that, you draw very clean and also good faces. I love how the hyur's eyes pop out in that one drawing.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Dhex
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydos View Post
Great stuff!!! I'll definately have to say to stick to thicker lines. They tend to make drawings come more to live. Thin lines are good to be used for varied line weight. But at the moment they're too thin and light, almost causing them to fade away in the white background.

Besides that, you draw very clean and also good faces. I love how the hyur's eyes pop out in that one drawing.
I need more practice

So far what I draw requires either a picture to glance at (I lose track of proportion in my anatomy) or draw entirely without reference which always ends up either 'toony' or flat (one-dimensional)

I think I might be pressing too hard on my tablet too but I don't know what kind of process I should do to improve.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
Wintermute
Postcount Manipulator
Forum Member

Getting a feel for the brushes you're using is really important and takes a lot of time, but definitely stick with it, as you'll only get better at them with practice. I'll also echo what Vydos said about thicker lines. Getting good line quality in your drawings is something I still struggle a lot with, but I definitely think it's a lot easier to get good looking thick lines than thin ones, and you can learn how to trim your drawing down from there.

Don't be afraid of using reference pictures. They're what will keep you grounded so don't feel bad if you need them to keep your drawings looking focused; that's what they're there for. As long as you're always approaching them as a tool for learning, and not just a tool to help your drawings look better, you will be fine.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Dhex
Forum Member

Lalafell fun time...?

I have such a hard time with Lala and Elezen anatomy (and anatomy in general hah) but any advice on drawing elongated/stunted characters?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Wintermute
Postcount Manipulator
Forum Member

Look at lots and lots of pictures of human anatomy - preferably pictures of real as opposed to drawn people, although some artists upload drawn anatomy studies that are useful too. I like using sources such as Figures for Drawing for real-life reference pictures and inspiration, and InCase's Art Blog and Character Design References for drawn. CDR probably has all sorts of different references that would be useful for drawing Tarutaru especially under their "Toddlers/Children" sections - at least when it comes to getting the proportions right. Alternatively, use our image board to find pictures of the subject matter you're looking for (Tarutaru and/or Elvaan) and look at pictures of how other artists have been portraying them and then try and copy that. HDK draws a lot of Mithra and Elvaan for example.

A warning about InCase's blog: It is not safe for work under any circumstances, and 99% of the work he posts is R18 and probably contains an assortment of homosexuality and dick-girl-related fetishes. So do not use his blog if those things bother you. However, he also regularly uploads very high quality anatomy studies that can be a valuable resource for an aspiring artist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wintermute For This Useful Post:
Dhex (07-30-2013)
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
Dhex
Forum Member

I need.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
Dhex
Forum Member

Ten posts.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Dhex