Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #41
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense View Post
It was a success. Sorry for all the trouble.
No trouble at all, I'm glad you reported the issue, because if it's happening to one person it's most likely happening to someone else, not to mention opening the file in paint.net and gimp was completely broken.

I'll have the issue fixed with the next update, which should be sometime tomorrow if all goes well with getting mounts and minions added.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #42
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Updated application to 1.3

Smallish update

Application Changes:
Added a version check to the application, so you'll know when there's an update as soon as you open the application.
(of course you wont see it until the next version is released :P)
Textures Added:

Mounts
Minions
Here's my "blue bird" colored pink
Bug Fixes:
Fixed an issue where certain textures were not saving correctly.
Thanks to Sense for bringing up the issue, I hadn't realized that paint.net and gimp were unable to open the files. Files should be read by photoshop, paint.net and gimp2 without a problem now.

Other misc. bugs and performance improvements
As always please let me know if you have any issues or concerns, as well as any requests or features you might have in mind.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #43
Sense
Nobody
Forum Member

This is probably a dumb question but when saving DDS files the file names are consistent for everyone right? For whatever reason I wasn't sure and may have complicated my file sharing. I want to make some clothes edits but want to make sure they're easy to apply if I share any.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #44
Semen Demon
XMan Milk MephistophelesX
Forum Member

Quote:
when saving DDS files the file names are consistent for everyone right?
yes
The Following User Says Thank You to Semen Demon For This Useful Post:
Sense (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #45
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
This is probably a dumb question but when saving DDS files the file names are consistent for everyone right? For whatever reason I wasn't sure and may have complicated my file sharing. I want to make some clothes edits but want to make sure they're easy to apply if I share any.

The newer version has a way to share mods easily, from View > Modlist you can select the checkbox of the items you want to share and hit export, then in the same folder the application is in, there's an exported folder with a .modlist and a .dat, you can share those files and the other person just has to hit View > Importer and find that .modlist they got from you, and then select import. (they must have both the .modlist and .dat in the same folder)

Of course you can still share the DDS texture files and import them, the above is just an easy way to share several mods at once.

I'll see about writing a tutorial for it as well, which I meant to do but got caught up with 3D files.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #46
Sense
Nobody
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linko View Post
The newer version has a way to share mods easily, from View > Modlist you can select the checkbox of the items you want to share and hit export, then in the same folder the application is in, there's an exported folder with a .modlist and a .dat, you can share those files and the other person just has to hit View > Importer and find that .modlist they got from you, and then select import. (they must have both the .modlist and .dat in the same folder)

Of course you can still share the DDS texture files and import them, the above is just an easy way to share several mods at once.

I'll see about writing a tutorial for it as well, which I meant to do but got caught up with 3D files.
Oh! I thought I might have been able to do something like that but wasn't sure. I also couldn't find a way to remove a bunch of old stuff from the modlist so that made me afraid to try. Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #47
kkoraz
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

was wondering if there is any way to get tex tools to work with naughtywvrs mod?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #48
Semen Demon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoraz View Post
was wondering if there is any way to get tex tools to work with naughtywvrs mod?
It works though

You might want to be more specific with what you mean
Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #49
kkoraz
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semen Demon View Post
It works though

You might want to be more specific with what you mean
So when I run the tools, the modified textures don't show in game, so I run the debugger button in the textools and it tells me there is an index2 file that is causing the problem and needs to be removed. But its the same index2 file that naughtywvr's mod uses. So naughtywvr's mod no longer works once i run the textools.

is there a way around this?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #50
Semen Demon
Forum Member

Quote:
But its the same index2 file that naughtywvr's mod uses
I'm pretty sure naughtwvrs mod doesnt use the 040000.win32.index2 file since I removed mine in order to get the textools edits to work, and it still works with the nude mod

It's totally possible I'm wrong, but it's working on my end, so it's possible you want to go through the tutorial and see if you missed anything, and possibly reinstall with fresh files

Last edited by Semen Demon; 05-10-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #51
kkoraz
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semen Demon View Post
I'm pretty sure naughtwvrs mod doesnt use the 040000.win32.index2 file since I removed mine in order to get the textools edits to work, and it still works with the nude mod

It's totally possible I'm wrong, but it's working on my end, so it's possible you want to go through the tutorial and see if you missed anything, and possibly reinstall with fresh files
hm ok. when i remove that same index file the nude mod stops working. think reinstalling ffxiv will help?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #52
kkoraz
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

oh ok i see. Yea the naughtywvr mod still works but say if i edit a dds file to cut out an area, theres no mesh underneath it - for example editing the thavnarian tights to remove the undies, results in just a see thru area at the crotch rather than having naughtywvr's 3d model underneath. but if i remove the armor or switch to emporers then yea it shows it.

Last edited by kkoraz; 05-10-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:37 AM   #53
luc
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:

I made a part of my equipment transparent, but now I can see right through myself
  • This means there is no mesh underneath that piece of texture, the 3D file would have to be modified to have something underneath.
Quote:
oh ok i see. Yea the naughtywvr mod still works but say if i edit a dds file to cut out an area, theres no mesh underneath it - for example editing the thavnarian tights to remove the undies, results in just a see thru area at the crotch rather than having naughtywvr's 3d model underneath. but if i remove the armor or switch to emporers then yea it shows it.
I was actually trying to do the same thing until I ran into that, too. Is there no way to have the smallcloth base go underneath instead of the invisible model right now then?

Where would someone even begin to learn how to do that? Should I be looking at the VRS thing or blender or something? I'm new to this modding thing, but super curious.

Also, on another note, I made a mess of my modlist while trying to figure out how everything worked. Like, there're multiple copies for the same items. Is there any way to remove things from it to clean it up?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #54
Semen Demon
Forum Member

Default hopefully these answers aren't misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
Is there no way to have the smallcloth base go underneath instead of the invisible model right now then?
there is probably a way that doesn't involve merging(the parts that don't overlap) with 3d models but I dunno lol
Quote:
Where would someone even begin to learn how to do that?
You can either try to learn how to make something for editing the 3d models or wait for someone else to do it, VRS might work, but I think it's better to just wait, unless you plan on making a profit like naughtwvr or something
Quote:
Is there any way to remove things from it to clean it up?
You can open the file in notepad or any other such program and remove whatever you think should be removed, the text should be clearly labeled

Edit: I can actually make that effect happen with CE, but I can't be arsed atm

Last edited by Semen Demon; 05-12-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: i hope im not completely wrong
Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #55
tl13l
Forum Member

Would it be possible for these tools to edit the palettes during character creation? (Skin, hair colors, eye colors, face paint colors, etc.)

Last edited by tl13l; 05-14-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #56
Nahald
Kitten Butt
Forum Member

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this applications works. So what exactly do I need to do? I import the texture, then click "Reapply All?" That's what I've been doing and the textures are still the same. :x

UPDATE: Okay, so I looked at the textures I was trying to replace using FFXIV Explorer. By the way, I should note that the textures I am trying to replace are the female Midlander textures form that new pubic hair texture mod over on the Miqo'te ndue mod thread. Upon looking at the location of the file (found in chara/human/020/job/body/b0001/texture in the 040000.win32.index file) I found four files: c0201b0001_d.tex, c0201b0001_n.tex, ~15ffdc32, and ~5f4fc493. The c0201b0001_d.tex and c0201b0001_n.tex are diffused and normal textures respectively, and the diffused texture looked like it does without the mod. The ~15ffdc32, and ~5f4fc493, however, are similar, except ~15ffdc32 is the diffused texture of the modded texture. For whatever reason, the Tex Editor is saving the texture to the wrong file. Anyone know how to correct this?

Last edited by Nahald; 05-14-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #57
tl13l
Forum Member

I'm not understanding the dye palette section of this tutorial. How did you determine the grey scale guide on the left hand when you are editing the palette? You say it corresponds to a section on the alpha channel, but I don't find this to be true with any numbers available.

In this case, I used the Gryphonskin Eyepatch.

http://i.gyazo.com/6f5821290d54cc6ab425cfc0bd463125.png

The bottom part of the image is the strap, which in-game is white by default. The grey value for this part (not the stripes) is 71.

The corresponding swatch on the palette is here (I already changed it to black and tested it in game.)

http://i.gyazo.com/8db126a85a87d9eca3c170a80073e9a0.png

However, no 8-bit grey swatches for guides match this data. The value provided in the tutorial screenshot for that swatch is 39. If I use a true 8-bit grey scale, it's 51. Neither of these are 71... yet that is the grey value for the strap of the eye patch, which corresponds with the swatch I highlighted.

So how do you tell which swatch is for what grey value on the alpha channels?

EDIT: Went out of my way to test the grey values used in various normal maps to figure out which swatches were which. Here is a PNG with the shades used in normal maps in case anyone else runs into trouble with this.

Last edited by tl13l; 05-16-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: i'm allowed to use image tags now
Old 05-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #58
tl13l
Forum Member

A separate issue: importing a palette .dds appears to cause armors to lose the chain mail texture (as far as I know, one of the only instances of textures being used for equipment in this game.)

If you save the .dds for a palette and make no edits to it, re-save it as if you were saving a .dds with palette edits, and then import it again, the chain mail texture is lost.

So, something about how the palette files are configured seems to be calling a chain link texture from somewhere. I know there's at least two of these: an older version from 2.x, such as on items like the Wolfram Cuisses, and newer ones that are used in HW, such as on the Ishgardian x Armor, Chaos Cuirass, etc.

No idea if there's a fix for this. Would probably require file analysis to figure out how the chain call is attributed to the palette files for armors.

EDIT: Seems to be a similar problem with Deathbringer:

Importing a palette .dds changes the way it reflects light, even with no changes. Is there a special way the game handles metallic reflections on some items that editing a palette .dds is overwriting?

Last edited by tl13l; 05-16-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: fixing images
Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #59
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Sorry for the delayed responses, I had to concentrate on finals and put everything else aside for a bit, thankfully those are over

Quote:
So this is because of how 3D files work in FFXIV, each specific item has its body part and equipment as 2 separate meshes in the 3D file.

As an example I'll use what naughtyweaver did.

This is the original 3D meshes for both the base underwear and emperor gear

so if you were to modify the texture file of the gear to make part or all of it transparent, there would be nothing underneath as you can tell on the left side. So you would see right through your character in that area.

Here's the modified 3D file after applying naughtyweavers patch.

There is still a second mesh, but it is blank so the only mesh that shows is this one above. The same goes for the leg portion.

Now it is possible to have this nude mesh replace all others in all items with some sort of script so that if you make a part of the gear transparent you can see underneath, but since some of the equipment is literally skin tight, I think there would be a ton of clipping issues, so it would be best to modify the files individually.

I am working to make this a possibility, as seen above I've successfully been able to extract 3D files from the game, even the modified ones after applying naughtyweavers patch that the current version of Ioncannons FFXIV data explorer can't display or extract. I've managed to extract, open in blender, save without modifications and reimport into the game just fine, I am running into a bit of issues with vertex normals and a few other things so it's not ready yet, not to mention when I did try modifying the mesh and reimporting into the game, it looked like some horrible abomination. It's a bit of a learning process as well as I know almost nothing of 3D modeling, but I'll make it work out somehow

Quote:
I was actually trying to do the same thing until I ran into that, too. Is there no way to have the smallcloth base go underneath instead of the invisible model right now then?

Where would someone even begin to learn how to do that? Should I be looking at the VRS thing or blender or something? I'm new to this modding thing, but super curious.

Also, on another note, I made a mess of my modlist while trying to figure out how everything worked. Like, there're multiple copies for the same items. Is there any way to remove things from it to clean it up?
Partially answered above, but yes you would have to learn VRS or Blender (when I get my method to work) in order to modify the mesh underneath the gear.

As far as the modlist goes, it shouldn't create duplicates as I made it check if it was a previously modified texture before creating a new entry in the .dat3 and the .modlist. It could be that it is the same name but different texture maps, so for example you can have the name Hempen Tabard show up to 4 times, one for each texture map, diffuse, normal, specular, and ColorSet. If thats not the case however, then this may be a bug if it is creating duplicates, if it's any textures in particular please let me know, either way I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl13l View Post
Would it be possible for these tools to edit the palettes during character creation? (Skin, hair colors, eye colors, face paint colors, etc.)
I think it's possible, I believe the file is located in 040000, chara/xls/charamake/human.cmp.

It's like a big list of different color palettes, It's in a different format as regular textures so I'd have to mess around with extracting and modifying it, and I'm not sure if changing the color palette in that file would actually change the color that reflects in game when selected, definitely worth a try though so I'll test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahald View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out how this applications works. So what exactly do I need to do? I import the texture, then click "Reapply All?" That's what I've been doing and the textures are still the same. :x

UPDATE: Okay, so I looked at the textures I was trying to replace using FFXIV Explorer. By the way, I should note that the textures I am trying to replace are the female Midlander textures form that new pubic hair texture mod over on the Miqo'te ndue mod thread. Upon looking at the location of the file (found in chara/human/020/job/body/b0001/texture in the 040000.win32.index file) I found four files: c0201b0001_d.tex, c0201b0001_n.tex, ~15ffdc32, and ~5f4fc493. The c0201b0001_d.tex and c0201b0001_n.tex are diffused and normal textures respectively, and the diffused texture looked like it does without the mod. The ~15ffdc32, and ~5f4fc493, however, are similar, except ~15ffdc32 is the diffused texture of the modded texture. For whatever reason, the Tex Editor is saving the texture to the wrong file. Anyone know how to correct this?
Once you click import and it shows Done Importing next to the progress bar in the bottom left corner you're all set, no need to click on reapply all, that's mostly used if you reverted all before a patch.

As far as the textures go, It seems like it's working as intended, what you're looking at when you see the textures folder in FFXIV explorer is both the DX9 and DX11 versions of the textures. Ioncannon has not updated the applications database to reflect the DX11 texture names, which are the same as the DX9 but with a -- in front of the name.

So for example c0201b0001_d.tex is the DX9 texture, and --c0201b0001_d.tex is the DX11 texture, which is ~15ffdc32

If you are running DX11 you should see the differences in-game, if you are running DX9, you need to switch to DX9 in TexTools from Settings > DX Version > DX9, then go to the texture and import the modded file. You can switch back and forth between DX9 and DX11 and import on each as well, you will have to switch to another texture and back if you have one open and switch DX versions however since it doesn't reload the texture automatically. It should make no difference if you only run 1 version of the game, just modify it for the version you run.

Quote:
EDIT: Went out of my way to test the grey values used in various normal maps to figure out which swatches were which. Here is a PNG with the shades used in normal maps in case anyone else runs into trouble with this.

You're awesome, thanks for making a palette that actually matches

All I did was use the gradient tool on the left side, it was inaccurate and I usually ended up messing with the shade of gray until I hit the right color, which I failed to mention in the tutorial

I'll update the tutorial so other don't run into this issue.

Quote:
A separate issue: importing a palette .dds appears to cause armors to lose the chain mail texture (as far as I know, one of the only instances of textures being used for equipment in this game.)

If you save the .dds for a palette and make no edits to it, re-save it as if you were saving a .dds with palette edits, and then import it again, the chain mail texture is lost.

So, something about how the palette files are configured seems to be calling a chain link texture from somewhere. I know there's at least two of these: an older version from 2.x, such as on items like the Wolfram Cuisses, and newer ones that are used in HW, such as on the Ishgardian x Armor, Chaos Cuirass, etc.

No idea if there's a fix for this. Would probably require file analysis to figure out how the chain call is attributed to the palette files for armors.

EDIT: Seems to be a similar problem with Deathbringer:

Importing a palette .dds changes the way it reflects light, even with no changes. Is there a special way the game handles metallic reflections on some items that editing a palette .dds is overwriting?
So I know that it has to do with the alpha channel in the color palette, but not much else than that, I ran into something similar back when I was testing things with ffxiv browser, I figured out that the alpha channel was affecting the texture but couldn't really find the correlation between the two.

Just opening and saving the color palette with no modifications means there's something going on somewhere in the process, and it's loosing or changing the alpha values. I'll check it out, could be when extracting from the app, when opening or saving in photoshop, or when reimporting.

Here's the post I made about the alpha channel in the color palette

Quote:
So I've been messing around some more with textures and colors, I decided to replace the black part in the middle of this piece of gear

It was pretty easy, but then I wanted to remove the texture that looks like little bumps and make it smooth, I tried for a while until I figured it out.

Here's the texture with bumps and smooth

It took me so long because the actual bumpy texture was not in the normal map or any map for that matter, I tried everything and couldn't smoothen it out, It ended up being in the color file somehow.

The alpha channel of the color file points that section to a specific texture, I have no idea where it gets it from though.

I changed the alpha channel of the red color

to black

and it worked, no idea how or where the game gets the texture from because I didn't find it in any of the maps for this piece of gear.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to make it seamless, because you can tell that something use to be in the middle
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linko For This Useful Post:
Isabeau Onyxheart (05-20-2016), jako992146 (05-23-2016), tl13l (05-23-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #60
linko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Dev Blog

So I made a blog for the application since content updates may be coming a little slower as I start to add on more complex things.

I'll be updating the blog with what I'm working on, some progress updates, some pictures of tests I run, some bugs that I'm trying to squash, etc. to keep you guys updated and not just wondering what's going on, what's being worked on, or why there's been no new release in a while.

http://blog.dualwield.net/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXIV DAT Section » General Discussion