Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Convert DATs / Editing / MV?

What's the current method for pulling MPQ-or-whatever files from .DATs for editing, and then reconverting back to .DAT?

Have a few pieces I'm stuck wearing that desperately need modification.

(Can't find MV anywhere either, all links seem to be dead being FFXIDATs is down.)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Oookay, found ModelViewer here.

Got an old version of Metasequoia and found a serial here that supposedly works with all versions. (Worked with 3.1.6, anyway)

Found my model in ModelViewer, selected it, clicked "DAT to MQO", selected the slot I wanted exported, it saved as an MQO file.

Opened that in Metasequoia, saved it as a WaveFront .OBJ file.

Opened that .OBJ file in Milkshape, seems to work fine.. Proceeded to modify the verticies I wanted.

I saved the .OBJ file, opened it in Metasequoia, loaded up fine (but this time without textures?) and exported to .MQO again.

Now's where I'm stuck.. ModelViewer won't accept that .MQO file (from Metasequoia) as a valid .MQO file to convert back to a .DAT..

I remember doing this YEARS ago, but right now.. I'm stuck.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

VRS; apparently you can't _DELETE_ verticies/faces in Metasequoia, you have to use VRS (which is located here, login 'Guest' / 'Guest').

This is a considerable nightmare.. All I wanted to do was remove everything below the waist on Kamilynn's Mithra Opaline removed.. But apparently the corset bit of the model is considerably wider than the base model, so it doesn't look right :'(

[How can I display the 'legs' in the same model so that I can actually move the upper verticies to match?]
Edit: Got it to display by using the 'other' export button, but I'm not sure how to separate it so I can bring just the body piece back into MV/FFXI

Or does someone want to do this for me?

Last edited by Mashuga; 04-07-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

If you give me links to the model and maybe a pic of what you want to do (can be a crude paint alteration idc xD) I can either do it for you or try to walk you through it.

You are correct in your findings that only vrs can remove vertices/polygons. Meta is good for moving them around and adjusting your uv mapping.

*Edit

Nvm to early in the morning for me. You just want to remove the flaps?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
Kamilynn
Displaced ffxidats modder
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Sorry it's so difficult, that's one of my earliest mods and it isn't quite as functional of a base model as my newer stuff (I'd gotten to making all my stuff seamless and using the nude base but that one obviously doesn't line up with everything else and has lighting issues and stuff :x)

I'd do it for you if I could but unfortunately I've been phone based Internet only since about October and all my money is tied up in this stupid endeavor I've got to buy a house (gogo adulthood?) BUT I'm supposed to close by the end of the month so I'm hoping to get a new pc and try to get back in on some modding projects this spring. Hopefully.

Until then I hope alikona can manage my mess for you I guess :x!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

In the image, you can see that after removing the faces, the torso no longer lines up with the legs, I spent a few frustrating hours on this last night getting it lined up then suddenly realized I don't know how to get it back in to FFXI once I DO get it looking good, so I emo'd and just force-closed the app without saving.

Edit--:
You posted your message at boardtime-10:56, it's boardtime-16:37 now, but only 9:45AM PST.. Where in God's name are you, or did you just post at at like 3AM your-time? lol O.o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForAlikona.png
Views:	59
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	139737  

Last edited by Mashuga; 04-07-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilynn View Post
Sorry it's so difficult, that's one of my earliest mods and it isn't quite as functional of a base model as my newer stuff (I'd gotten to making all my stuff seamless and using the nude base but that one obviously doesn't line up with everything else and has lighting issues and stuff :x)

I'd do it for you if I could but unfortunately I've been phone based Internet only since about October and all my money is tied up in this stupid endeavor I've got to buy a house (gogo adulthood?) BUT I'm supposed to close by the end of the month so I'm hoping to get a new pc and try to get back in on some modding projects this spring. Hopefully.

Until then I hope alikona can manage my mess for you I guess :x!
Nothing wrong with your mod hun :) SE is just weird lol

So here is a video I made you =O

http://www.twitch.tv/alikona05/b/517877488

I use twitch sometimes when I play FFXIV and I decided to try it for this. Twitch doesn't keep these vids forever but it should be up for a week or so.

Warning =O some loud sounds (lol my sister played with my comp sounds) and I do go off on some tangents... also my comp is super messy and unorganized D: lol

I went through how I would edit this model.... I also included the dat in attachments if you can't get it to work. ^^

*Edit*
Lol I am in South Dakota xD I posted at like 5:30ish this morning. I think my time settings are wrong haha
Attached Files
File Type: dat 93.DAT (187.9 KB, 12 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Alikona69 For This Useful Post:
Mashuga (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I didn't even notice the scale option and I'd like to give you this here award for winning the interwebs with the single most useful tut, for anything, I've ever seen, lol.
(I've seen me many, many a modelling and coding tuts)

For anyone else that ends up reading this and wants a fantastic how-to for Meta, VRS and the like; Everything you need is here.. Also soft sweet voice. ;p

Thank you so very much for the how-to, I can go about removing some flappydangles and THF AF/Relic pouches (most obnoxious thing SE's done, ever, I swear) I spent several hours moving EACH VERTEX INDIVIDUALLY.. <,<;;

Edit--:
Also, I ripped your tut off Twitch.tv, I'll find a way to upload it here and attach to this post for anyone else that may need it.

Last edited by Mashuga; 04-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Kamilynn
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikona69 View Post
*Edit*
Lol I am in South Dakota xD I posted at like 5:30ish this morning. I think my time settings are wrong haha
Amg Ali me too o.o

Been in SD for the large part of just over 3 years now, how did I not know this XD
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashuga View Post
I didn't even notice the scale option and I'd like to give you this here award for winning the interwebs with the single most useful tut, for anything, I've ever seen, lol.
(I've seen me many, many a modelling and coding tuts)

For anyone else that ends up reading this and wants a fantastic how-to for Meta, VRS and the like; Everything you need is here.. Also soft sweet voice. ;p

Thank you so very much for the how-to, I can go about removing some flappydangles and THF AF/Relic pouches (most obnoxious thing SE's done, ever, I swear) I spent several hours moving EACH VERTEX INDIVIDUALLY.. <,<;;

Edit--:
Also, I ripped your tut off Twitch.tv, I'll find a way to upload it here and attach to this post for anyone else that may need it.
Haha I'm glade it came out ok :D I've always wanted to do video tutorials for dat modding as it's so much easier to show someone then to write a wallotext for something that literally takes 30 seconds to do. I just never had the programs/capabilities back then. I think that I could upload it to the space I have on here (I also have a copy on my hard drive) if I could remember my id/pass lol I've tried uploading videos to YouTube but they always come out super low quality =s

Really Kami?! I'm sorry xD it's so boring here at times. Are you east or west river?

Last edited by Alikona69; 04-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Kamilynn
Forum Member

Just moved to the SF area in mid February. So very much the east :)

I feel like such a butt for not being able to help :/ having no pc when you're into this kind of thing has been really stifling. But I can't blame the poor thing, I got it in 05...
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Just moved to the SF area in mid February. So very much the east :)

I feel like such a butt for not being able to help :/ having no pc when you're into this kind of thing has been really stifling. But I can't blame the poor thing, I got it in 05...
I am straight north of that about an hour and a half :)

I was pretty emo myself when I had no comp to play with. D: my sister refers to my laptop as my child lol
Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #13
Kamilynn
Forum Member

We should meet up sometime! Be awesome, could pretend we're holding a mini convention for ffxi modders. I'll invite ahleah too, even though I've tried that and been blown off in the past! (Mostly joke. Much love ahleah!)

I'm actually about 20 minutes south of sufu myself but it's like whatever. I drive in 4 days a week for work so it's basically the same. I also work overnights so that's why I'll post weird hours.

Yay for being paid to sit around and surf the Internet with only mild interruptions of actual work. It pays better and is tons less stress than my last job too. I like SF so far :)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
ffxiAhleah
The Rump Whisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
I'll invite ahleah too, even though I've tried that and been blown off in the past! (Mostly joke. Much love ahleah!)
Pffffft! Hardly! I got my cruise tickets already, where iz you??!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner