Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Alfarjamie
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Exclamation Looking to start a FFXI HD conversion project.

Since square won't do anything about the game's outdated visuals on the PC version which can easily be done and have the old retained for PS2 etc while WoW is upgrading theirs i think it is time the community does it for them.

I used to do some DAT editing, but this isn't so much about model changing, IMO FFXI's character and mob models still hold up well to this day (even to WoW's upgrade comming).

What the game really suffers and lacks in is the scenery textures, while we may not be able to add fancy AO, bloom HDR or DOF. We could certainly reform the textures of every area to a more detailed high res version. It feels weird to have a fairly detailed looking character running around in a messy looking environment.

I used to see DATs on that old DAT site with reskins of mog houses and areas and such. Just now they have dissapeared, i cannot find an zone viewer anywhere to be seen either or any tutorial on how to find these dats and extract the textures etc.

Of course the retexture will be faithful to the originals just higher res and fidelity.

If anyone can list me the tools and tuts needed to make high res textures of the zones and the viewer tool i can start working on this project.
Anyone that wants to help out is welcome to also. :)
Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

This may not be as easy as you think =s HQing zone textures is a whole different ball game then character models. You can't use the same tools (like vrs, model viewer, ect) If I am remembering correctly the entire process has to be done in a hex editing program. If the guides are no longer around the only person I know is Mooshy and I haven't seen him around in ages, not even on the ffxidats.com Facebook group.

Perhaps there are some people out there who are decent programmers who have the knowledge to figure it out again =s

Also idk if the game would preform well if you hqed all the textures... The game engine itself needs to be able to render them and I remember having too many hq dats used to lag you pretty bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner