Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Knyte
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default So...got an idea for a project (Porting npc/monster armor to mithra pc)

Recently ported over Sablefire's Dimgruzub Dagger(s)...and leveled dancer to 99...now I want a persian/middle eastern-esque themed armor set.
ToAU really has that vibe so went looking through ToAU npc's and what not...My question is, how hard is it to isolate and port over armor that monsters/nm's wear; Like Soulflayers (Robe), Lamia (Chest piece, and wrist bands), Qutrubs (Body wear, Dimgruzub's head piece), etc?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Kamilynn
Displaced ffxidats modder
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knyte View Post
Recently ported over Sablefire's Dimgruzub Dagger(s)...and leveled dancer to 99...now I want a persian/middle eastern-esque themed armor set.
ToAU really has that vibe so went looking through ToAU npc's and what not...My question is, how hard is it to isolate and port over armor that monsters/nm's wear; Like Soulflayers (Robe), Lamia (Chest piece, and wrist bands), Qutrubs (Body wear, Dimgruzub's head piece), etc?
Head pieces and wrist bands would be the easiest as they likely would only need one weight. Body armor might be difficult depending on how complicated or similar it is to a PC's skeleton. I would highly recommend that any time you are able to halve and mirror things, do it! I don't recall if any of the above are asymmetrical or not, but only having to weight half of something... well, it literally cuts the weighting time in half :p

A tip for things that only have one weight - in VRS, find the number of the skeletal weight you want to change it to on the ported race, delete all but the topmost (skeleton-1) of the skeleton objects on the schematic tree on the original dat, change the text of Skeleton-1 to whatever you want the destination weight to be, and highlight all vertex on the object and set their weight to 1 on that skeleton. This way you don't have to worry about zeroing out all of the values that might be mixed up in there.
Then just paste it onto the dat of the race you're porting it to, and it will automatically go to that skeleton object that you'd changed 1 to on the other schematic!

Also, that would be the time to copy the text title of the material (texture) object from the dat you've opened to port the model onto and paste it onto the material object from the original, then delete the material of the secondary schematic (along with the model of course). That makes it so when you copy/paste the model from the first tree it overwrites the "original" material and won't have an extra, phantom texture just taking up space in your mod. You don't even have to edit size or layout this way as it'll keep it from the original.

Great trick that I've used many a time to lessen the size of mods. As some people may know, I'm a true believer in HQ looks with a NQ size... :D

Been a while since I've done it so if my explanation doesn't make enough sense, let me know, I think I made a guide with pictures once!

Also, my brain is *almost* working; after having 200 hours in the first 3 weeks of December I was completely incapable of even maintaining function enough to play pinochle with my family over Christmas... It's been a real rough month. But after having a whole 2 days off in a row (what what) I have somewhat recovered...! At least until I threw my back out yesterday. Now I'm kinda a whiny, waddling mess, but at least my brain's power light is on (and not just a RROD).

Anywho, I'll likely be around to give assistance, though it might not be too hands on, in the next few days. Maybe not. I think so though, it would be nice to use my brain for good!!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Knyte
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Sooo...A fonging. Until my insides are outside, and my outsides are inside...a rending...a ripping...pain...lots of pain...and leaking brain goo.

I have ported armor over from other races...at least once I do remember it was annoying. Converting monster armor into player armor...oooh boy. I'll give it a try over the weekend...Mythbusters mega-marathon is beckoning

PS - Bonus cookie if you can guess the movie quote.

EDIT: OK, so I really want the Dimgruzub stuff...I loaded up the skele/model in VRS and removed the vertices for the skin parts. Now what? Do I load up the mithra skele, and rotate/scale/move the vertices to match the mithra body parts?

Or should I just load up the VRS file and start begging for my life?

Last edited by Knyte; 12-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Kamilynn
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

If you're able to be online after 11pm cst I can talk to you about it in more detail, that's when I'll be on a computer. If you're not able to get online that late, I might take a stab at it, so if you want, please let me know the dat numbers and what you want from them (pictures might help).

I'm off the next 2 nights but odds are I'll still be in Super coma sleep deprivation recovery mode so I don't know how much help I might be.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Knyte
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I should be around at that time.
But just as a precaution:
Dimgruzub ROM-227-10
Picture included below

Basically, I want to convert its armor to Head, Body, Legs, Hands, and Feet armor for Mithra.

Dimgruzub, I think, would prolly be the most difficult and extensive. After Dimg, the Soulflayer and Lamia ports should be easy/quick by comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuff.bmp
Views:	25
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	154546  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

It was always easier for me to start with a similar of very simple (usually nude) base model and add/remove things until it ended up looking like the npc model. I also never had patience to play in VRS =P

The soulflayer has a robe if I'm not mistaken, very few decently weighted long skirts/dresses exist as the PC skeletons were not made to support that kind of leg mesh. You will get clipping/odd movements.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
Kamilynn
Forum Member

I did a thing so there. Haven't weighted anything so it's really not that cool but it was a fighter so I'm proud of the little work I've managed anyway.

Yes, I haven't installed any mods yet. I'm mildly sickened by the original mithra stance, so i can only look at it so much before i take breaks :p

Also, will def need some texture work and mapping since obviously the mithra isn't shaped quite the same as the mob ;)

ETA: On the plus side, I also use the same theory Ali talked about above for this kinda thing, and now that I've figured out where my Meta copy that actually DOES ALL THE THINGS is, I might have some fun this coming weekend working on the body armor. But I promise nothing.

Also, it is very common that my armor > new version of armor tends to have a ++boobs and/or cleavage. I promise nothing on that front either as I haven't gotten my spark of inspiration on this particular set, but if that would be too big of an issue please let me know.

Last edited by Kamilynn; 01-13-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

=o that looks great!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner