Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Default Mod Manager

I built this Mod Manager a while ago and released it on www.ffximc.com.
When I updated my Idle Animation today I figured I should post it here too.

Requirements: Java 5 or higher.

Anyway, this will automatically back up the original FFXI files any time you install a mod. It supports installing a single mod at a time from a list of all dats in the game. It also has a mass swap section, where you can build a list of things to install, and with a single click install the entire list and just as easily uninstall it.

Main window:

Pretty straight forward, just select the race and type or equipment you want to see, and it will display it and any mods which have been installed. Clicking on 'Modded' will make it only show modded files, while clicking 'Unmodded' will make it show only files without mods installed.

Swap Set window:

Clicking 'Add' will let you add a new line to a swap set. 'Remove' will remove a selected line from the set.

The download page has much further in-depth instructions on how to use this if you're interested.

Download Page:
http://korith.jumpingcrab.com/mods/ffximm.php
http://korith.netne.net/ffximm.php

Feel free to post any comments, questions, suggestions, and bug reports here.

Last edited by Korith; 11-12-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Updated to v1.3.3
The Following User Says Thank You to Korith For This Useful Post:
rufiotear (07-03-2011)
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,613 Times in 3,433 Posts

Nice, i've added this to the ffxi "stuff people look for" thread
Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

Where on that page do I click to download it? All I see are links to Java websites..
Old 10-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Bottom of the page, in a darker brown bar
Old 10-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

Oh. lol
Didn't even notice that down there, thought it was a banner or copyright info, I always ignore those. XD
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Wish it didn't rely on JRE though.

Any way you could compile it using a packer of some sort?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Quote:
Any way you could compile it using a packer of some sort?
Honestly, I don't know. I've never tried to before. I'll look into it when I've got some time.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
Mashuga
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Not too familiar with Java, but this seems to be about what we're looking for.

http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
Old 09-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Rise from the dead! /necro

I admit it. I kinda let this project fall into a dark deep canyon and left it there... I have, however, resurrected it for a day to update the lists for people as well as update the NPC section so that it has ROMs 5-7.

Download Page.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Elliander
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Question

Does this Mod Manager only support specific Mods you have already examined, or can it be applied to manage any mod anyone has?

Interesting that you chose Java. I would have thought someone would write it in C.

I'm glad this thread got Necroed. I was about ready to write one myself. lol. The idea I had though was just a simple C application, where a file name has to be written in the format of 0-000-000.DAT and it would just take that file, whatever it is, and use the file name to determine where it is copied too. Then take any file that is in the target location and back it up in the same format to be restore later. And then use a different file to add details for each dat so the information can be displayed within a menu. Say, 0-000-000.txt and 0-000-000.jpg would hold the information that can be edited for the .dat of the same name so it can be displayed within the editor and given a name and description the user can understand. Then user an online database to store known mods to be easily downloaded quickly and applied without the need for going to various websites to look them up, and at the same time making it easier for credit to be maintained with the file. That was the way I thought to do it anyway, but since you already made a manager, I guess I'll scrap that idea :P I'm curious as to the way yours works.

How does your Mod Manager work?

EDIT:

I mean, how does yours work at an underlying level? I don't know Java (yet) but I am curious as to the methods you used.

Last edited by Elliander; 09-06-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Elliander
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

On the Topic of Mod Managers, I had an idea but not sure if it is possible because I don't know anything about memory edits.

Would it be possible for a Mod Manager to, instead of swapping files, just tell the game in memory to look in another location for a file, in a location that is not in the game directory? Similar to the way Windower does it. But for Mods? And would it be possible to do it in such a way as to have the mod apply to some objects, but not all?

If that was possible, then, in theory, it would be possible to make a Mod Manager that would allow you to have two versions of the same weapon appearing in the same game. Maybe, have it random. Or else, say, being able to use both male and female body mods at the same time. And to use the head dats to determine if the body on that sprite using one dat or another.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliander View Post
Does this Mod Manager only support specific Mods you have already examined, or can it be applied to manage any mod anyone has?

Interesting that you chose Java. I would have thought someone would write it in C.

I mean, how does yours work at an underlying level? I don't know Java (yet) but I am curious as to the methods you used.
I wrote this program a couple months after I first started programming. At that point, the only language I knew how to do anything useful in was java, thus why I used it. I have considered redoing it in .net, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.

This mod manager will support any mod anyone has ever made. Its just a glorified file copier, heh.

In concept, yours sounds like it would be a bit different than what I wrote. This was just designed to make it easier for users to install mods wherever they wanted, keep track of what is installed where, and remove them just as easily. I also put in the set feature so mass lists can be installed/uninstalled quickly. But it doesn't do any interpretation of the file to try and determine where it would go, yours sounds like it would be set up so you just give it a file, and it knows where to put it. I did consider a feature like that once, but it just seemed that too many mods out there don't have any specific dat they're supposed to replace.

As for the boring details...
Spoiler: show
Try not to laugh too hard, I made this right after I started programming, heh.

When it loads, it reads through the lists and builds one huge ass 2-D array of DatNodes. DatNodes are just an object which represents an original file, a name, as well as the mod and its name. The first dimension of the array is for the races. Index 0-9 is for NPCs, 10-19 is for Hume M, 20-29 HumeF and so on. Its something like X0 = faces, X1 = headgead, X2 = bodies, etc.

For displaying, you tell it a race (tens digit for the index) then a slot (ones digit) and it just runs through that displaying the names of the dats, and the names of the mods attached to them if they have one.

For installing a mod, you select the dat to install over and then you tell it the file of a mod. It moves the original dat into a backup directory, then copies the mod file to where the original dat was. To uninstall, it deletes the installed mod, and moves the backup file back into its original location. If for whatever reason a file copy / move fails during an install or uninstall, it will attempt to undo all the moving/copying it had already done.

Thats the basics of how it works. The swap sets are basically just a list of dats and mods you want to install, and it goes through them one by one and installing them in the same procedure as above. Although it also checks if a mod is already installed and will prompt if there is.

Quote:
Would it be possible for a Mod Manager to, instead of swapping files, just tell the game in memory to look in another location for a file, in a location that is not in the game directory
Probably. There have been apps made that would let you, while playing, visually change your armor, or even your race. They didn't swap files around on your computer at all. I'm guessing it would be possible to use the same concept and have files outside of FFXI referenced, however I am not the person to talk to about doing this, haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Korith For This Useful Post:
Elliander (09-06-2009)
Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Elliander
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korith View Post
I wrote this program a couple months after I first started programming. At that point, the only language I knew how to do anything useful in was java, thus why I used it. I have considered redoing it in .net, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.
I am in sort of the same position myself. I have been programming for a few months, so my abilities are limited. I usually see projects like this more of a challenge to help me learn... personally though, I don't think I'd want to do something like this in .NET. I have written programs in .NET 2.0 and 3.5 and in my experience it is a bit more trouble than it is worth. The files take substantially more RAM than just a bit more effort outside of .NET, people can only run it if they have the .NET framework installed, and they have a weird way of working installs I still can't quite figure out. There is a distinct advantage to going .NET though: It's easier to work with others since more than one language can go into the same project. I also like how you can easily embed all resources into a single executable to avoid any need for an install for small programs... personally, I didn't like how easy .NET made things. I didn't fully understand what it was doing. That's why I took a step back and went to C. After I learn that I'm going onto C++ and then I'd like to do something like what you did.

Quote:
I did consider a feature like that once, but it just seemed that too many mods out there don't have any specific dat they're supposed to replace.

hmm. I never really considered that. You are right. If one mod is or might be used in more than one place, relying on the file name to tell it where to put things is a bad idea.

lol. oh well.

Quote:

As for the boring details...

hmm. Arrays are one of the things I still have a bit trouble with. That's why when I made a tic tac toe game I defined all possible positions manually one line at a time. :P I think the only time I used an array was a multidimensional array in XNA for 3D objects. So you used arrays to make the code cleaner and easier to manage?

Quote:

Probably. There have been apps made that would let you, while playing, visually change your armor, or even your race. They didn't swap files around on your computer at all. I'm guessing it would be possible to use the same concept and have files outside of FFXI referenced, however I am not the person to talk to about doing this, haha.
ya. Since you already did the "glorified file copier" I think I'll turn my attention to learning how memory edits work. Will probably take me several months but I think it would be better for me to try to do something new instead of doing what's already been done. The more I think about it, the more I think it would actually be better than a file copier because it would allow so much more modifications to be possible.

Kudos, btw. If I didn't already modify my entire installation with countless mods I'd already be using this.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Quote:
So you used arrays to make the code cleaner and easier to manage?

Kudos, btw. If I didn't already modify my entire installation with countless mods I'd already be using this.
Mostly I used arrays because I wasn't very familiar with any advanced data structures. It also made displaying dat lists really easy. User selects the first array index, just run through the second dimension and show it all. The downside was that the swap set page was a huge pain. Since it just knows the file location, it has no idea where in the array it might be. So it has to search through the whole thing to find it and update the display...

And if you ever have to reinstall, you know what to use next time!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
crunchy
immer allein
Forum Member

i downloaded the java 6 and the fmm 1.3.4
but now what? anything in the fmm folders i click on wont open
Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
i downloaded the java 6 and the fmm 1.3.4
but now what? anything in the fmm folders i click on wont open
Well, the part thats run is FMM 1.3.4.jar. Did you let your computer restart after installing? Java might require that. If so, rightclick it and see if under Open With you have Java as an option.

Also, if you're familiar with command prompts, you should also be able to run a .jar file by navigating to the FMM directory in it and typing 'java -jar 'FMM 1.3.4.jar'', I think (its been a while since I've tried running jars from a commandline).
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #17
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

I've received a few messages from people since Vista was released that were having trouble running this on Vista. Also people who have 7 have reported the problem. Well, I recently built myself a new computer, and I've now finally upgraded past Windows XP. This means I'm finally able to do some testing and find out how to fix these problems.

Note; I only have Windows 7, I assume this works under Vista too.

One way to fix this under Vista/7 is to disabled the UAC. This should fix any issues you're having that are related to Vista and 7. Just google 'disabled uac' to find numerous guides on how to disable it.

Some people would rather not turn it off though, so here's a solution for them;
First, make sure FMM itself is located in a directory owned by you. This can be pretty much anywhere except inside Program Files. The desktop or My Documents both work fine.

Next, we need to grant your user access to FFXI, to do that;
- Navigate to C:/Program Files/
(for x64 systems: C:/Program Files (x86)/ )
- Continue navigating to PlayOnline/SquareEnix/
- Rightclick on FINAL FANTASY XI and go to properties
- On the security tab, press the edit button
- Select 'Users (YOUR_USER_NAME/Users)'
- On the bottom, place a checkmark next to 'Full control' Allow
- Press ok

With that, FMM should be able to swap files for you.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Elfiwolfe
Forum Member

It has been a very handy program.
Was going to ask if there was a way to update the list but I notice that they are nice and readable with notepad.

just noticed that the newer armors, BLU relic, cobra gear and the synergy are not on the lists.

Anyone know if there is an updated lists before I change the list on computer?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
Korith
Too cool for Kamilynn
Forum Member

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I haven't had a lot of time lately.

Here's the list files I'm currently using, I think they're up to date as of march. FMM uses Lists formatted the same as MV. So if you ever need a new update, you can always just find updated MV lists. Destiny does a good job of it, thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FMM Lists.zip (173.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
delusionalbastard
Hume Mod Apprentice
Forum Member

sweet so your saying if mv is updated for all races so is your program?
just want to make sure i have this clear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner