Go Back   Neko-Sentai » MMD Forums » MMD Misc Files

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
Cakechu
HahahahNo
Forum Member

Default Editing help!

Recently got into editing models and I was wondering if anyone out there can break down how to add underwear of one model to another. By this Im talking about taking the entire crotch area, hips and all, and taking it off one model and putting it on another. You don't have to spoon feed me the info, just a quick run down on the steps I should take to get it done. I'm fairly familiar with pmx editor, thanks~
Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
MMDisaster
I wish to pet teh nagato
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechu View Post
Recently got into editing models and I was wondering if anyone out there can break down how to add underwear of one model to another. By this Im talking about taking the entire crotch area, hips and all, and taking it off one model and putting it on another. You don't have to spoon feed me the info, just a quick run down on the steps I should take to get it done. I'm fairly familiar with pmx editor, thanks~
There really isn't a quick and easy way to do it if you want it to look like it was there from the beginning, and it depends on if you're just trying to take the underwear or actually a whole other model's crotch and add it. Either way, if possible I recommend that both models be made by the same modeler, because they often reuse their assets and it increases the likelihood of a good match (polygon count, UV mapping, textures etc.).

Basically two steps: First, "clean" the model you're taking from by deleting all mesh, bones, joints and physics that don't directly involve the part you're moving so they don't clutter up or cause glitches for the model you're moving to. Then use Import (File -> Import) to bring it into the model you're adding to. Don't forget to do a bone merge so that the rigging will stick to the new model. If the bone structures are different you may have to do manual weight painting to get the imported mesh to move properly, and this is strictly trial and error until you get it the way you want it.

Once the mesh has been imported the hard work, the details, starts. You may need to manually resize or adjust vertices/bones so that there isn't a gaping gap between the skin and the underwear (but also so it doesn't clip). This is going to require eyeballing and experimentation. You may also need to use the knife tool to add new vertices so you can make it follow the model's curves better. If the model uses textures you may have to modify or recolor them so they match the new model. Any UV-related plugins you have will make this much, MUCH easier (it's almost impossible without them). Be sure to update the spheres and toons too, because odds are the two models didn't use the same ones.

Finally: You can't just rely on Transform Mode to test the model, you need to bring it into MMD and test it there too, with and without physics, self-shadowing etc. I've seen several times the edit seems to be working perfectly in Editor's test mode, then I bring it into MMD and try a motion on it and everything goes apeshit. What I'm getting at is, don't expect perfection on the first take. Be prepared to fail, and to learn from it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMDisaster For This Useful Post:
Cakechu (12-21-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » MMD Forums » MMD Misc Files