Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well I personally caught 8000 moat carps myself but when I started dreaming about them I decided to get it over with and buy the last 2000. Back then they were 10k a stack and the rod was like 12mil.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #22
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barachiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovivi
A lot of stuff has dropped in proportion to the sell rate.. so even though you don't make as much, it doesn't cost as much to buy items.. so I don't really see why people complain about that. Yes I could see if prices of the armor and what not didn't drop, but the common ways to make gil decreased then yes there would be a problem. But since everything dropped somewhat proportionally there isn't really an issue.
A few reasons:

1) Dynamis, Limbus, and now Einherjar. Dynamis and Einherjar differ based on number of participants, but they maintain an average price that during the inflation was more like pocket change. The cost increases relative to deflation. Limbus, while SE reduced the cost by 20k, is still far more expensive than it was at 50k during the height of the inflation. As such, funding regular runs for all of these is increasingly time consuming. At the height of inflation I could run out to Rolanberry for 20 minutes and grab a stack of silk threads. This alone would fund over two limbus runs. From dynamis I'd only need to sell a single currency to profit off the entry fee.

2) Avenues of profit with crafting. Within the game there is a base NPC value upon the economy. If the economy is in an inflated state, the player can buy cheap materials from any guild npc and synth them for good profit. However, in its current state of deflation, the AH value is near the base NPC value. As such crafting for gil has been decimated, and is no longer a viable option, unless one can go entirely for HQ's, or has the spare time on hand to farm all of the materials. When the inflation was in full swing anyone that had smithing at 20 could pump out iron ingots for 100% profit.

3) Economic depression. Deflation and depression are two different things. Deflation arises from an increase in monetary value, while a depression arises from a massive decrease in monetary value, as occurred during the first part of the 20th century. An extended period of deflation, especially when primary aspects of an economy do not also reduce in price proportionally to the increase in monetary value, can spark a depression through an increased hoarding of personal wealth. If people aren't willing to spend money readily due to the fact that it's extremely difficult to make in the first place then the entire economy will gradually reduce due to people wanting to spend as little of their wealth as possible. Primarily it's a psychological issue. People are wowed and intimidated by big numbers. The initial outcry against the inflation was due in part to people crying about how expensive everything was, completely blind to the copious money making opportunities.

4) Not everything is proportional. As stated above, we have the NPC baseline. In a way a safety measure, in another a handicap. People complain about deflation because it makes NPC items that much more expensive. Gradually, those money making avenues vanish. Also as stated before, certain activities are far more expensive now, than they were during the inflation, because the cost/reward ratio doesn't remain proportional. The cost more or less remains the same, while the reward drops in value along with the economy. If the economy was entirely dynamic, deflation wouldn't be as hated as it is because everything would remain proportional.

5) Rina has it right. Inflation is natural, and healthy for an economy. Unnatural inflation, as occurred over the Xmas rush of 2005, will subside, as it began to long before SE began the massive bannings. Deflation, while not a bad thing in the short term, can lead to instability over a long period, and the eventual death of an economy.

By the way, I used the same argument you just did during the inflation to counter the people that said it was bad. Almost always I got called a gil buyer because they were ignorant, didn't understand economic principles, and didn't even take the time to try and come up with their own counter argument.
This has to be the longest post I've ever seen you type. I'm surprised a post this size didn't flow from my own fingers. And now for some responses:

1) Not everyone who plays this game does Dynamis, Einherjar, or Limbus. Only a small percentage do. However, this small percentage has a very loud voice and holds a large chunk of the wealth. This is why for people, such as yourself, this is a big issue. But for the majority of players, this doesn't matter. You are correct in that the prices for these events should be adjusted for inflation and/or deflation. I'm just saying that for most people its a moot point. Just because you're suffering doesn't mean everyone else is. :wink:

2) Yes, certain ways to make money have been nullified, but this does not destroy the economy in and of itself. There is such a variety of ways of making money that if one or two ways disappear, it won't crash the system.

3) You're right on with your analysis here. Too much deflation can collapse the economy completely, but Squeenix has set price ceilings and floors on the NPC items, so those will always remain the same regardless of how much it costs for a Scorp Harness. Because of this, a complete collapse of the economy is nearly impossible. The economy of each server has deflated, but it is now very consistent. It took more than six months to stabilize, but I'm perfectly happy now that it has.

5) Yes, inflation is normal and healthy part of a strong economy. RMT activities turn normal inflation into ridiculous inflation. The sudden removal of RMT turns ridiculous inflation into ridiculous deflation. To be honest, I'd rather have an inflating, strong economy than a spiraling, deflating economy. But there are advantages to both, and the more you can exploit those advantages, the richer you become.

There will never be a complete collapse
Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #23
Corrderio
Yeah I got nuthin'
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayu
do you want easy money?(in a serious note i dont do this but people seem to fall easy)
pass yourself a female or if you are one perfect(with a character woman)
flirt a bit stupid males(yeah i am a male myself) will give you everything, free and easy.
That's pathetic.....
Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 AM   #24
Kayu
Grimmjow Jagger Jacks
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayu
do you want easy money?(in a serious note i dont do this but people seem to fall easy)
pass yourself a female or if you are one perfect(with a character woman)
flirt a bit stupid males(yeah i am a male myself) will give you everything, free and easy.
That's pathetic.....
as pathetic it seems it works with us males(not all of us), these damn people looking for online botty will fall easily.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:21 AM   #25
Revenant
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Inflation wasn't so bad but yeah I'm rehashing what others have said. I used to farm lizzy skin in Crawler's Nest, would make about 300-500k a night there. At the peak of inflation my characters gear was worth around 50mil but now its around 10mil...btw I laughed when I saw people buy SH+1 for 25mil during inflation and now its just 1mil, on my server anyway.

I had a my guide on my LS website on how to make gil, where to farm, what to buy off ah and npc etc but most of that guides content no longer works at a profit margin anymore. ><
Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

I miss the Inflation ; ; Sole Sushi was lik 60k/stack, that ws nothing during inflation. Now that deflation hit, sushi is still 40k/stack.. thats the main thing killing me ._.b same with Reraise Hairpins <_< They are still 60k too, as for making gil, check your PMs D: /secret spot
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #27
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

The end2005 inflation was great for me. I was making 4mil a day repeating ninja scroll quests in Norg with mules. Those scrolls skyrocketed while zinc ore barely went up.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 AM   #28
Alisha
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

the problem i had at the height of inflation and even probally now is im one of those people that cannot force myself to farm for an entire night. often i would give up after one stack if i even made it to one stack. in fact its the reason i quit sam many years ago at lvl 52. the price of a haubergon was so intimidating. added to the fact that i could maybe make 40k a day if i tried was pretty demoralizing. my monk was still melee'ing in a cyclas until i received an osode >_>
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #29
LadyPeorth
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I usually farm tigers in Sauromuge Champaign...they got rid of my crawler farming and I'm a girl of the earth...so I prefer to get my cash straight from the monster.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff