Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions » Tera

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
Lyner_san
That's what she said...
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzuki View Post
The game must have a macro system right? Can you use your macros with a joystick in the way you were able to in FF11?
A macro in the sense of a FFXI style macro is just a text command issued to the game to do an action in most cases, or to swap gear. In TERA, you have no need of macros. You aren't actively targeting anything. You're mainly attacking in the direction your mouse is pointing (I believe that this can be turned off, but I haven't found out how yet), and it is everything you have to include any skills.

The shortcut tray that you see in all these UI screenshots is similar to WoW's action bars, and it also shows the cooldown of abilities on the ability icon if it has a CD. There is also a separate bar you can turn on that only shows you cooldowns.

As for the closest thing to a macro? That would most likely be Chained Skills. Basically, you use one skill, then a prompt shows up for ~3 seconds or so to press a key (default is Spacebar) and it will automatically perform the chained skill. Some skills become faster after using a certain skill first.

And as I don't use a gamepad, I can't tell you for sure how chained skills work, but I would assume that there is a button you press to activate them similar to a keyboard.

Hope that helps explain some of it.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Quote:
The game must have a macro system right? Can you use your macros with a joystick in the way you were able to in FF11?
No, there's no macro commands, its all manual input. This may seem lame to someone who hasn't played the game, but the truth is, the battle system is set up so that you don't need macros, because 90% of the attacks and abilities do not lock onto anything. This means that you must aim your swing correctly, or you miss. You must be a skilled player, or your damage will be very bad. This setup promotes player skill in ways that FFXI never could. There are no AFK jobs, you can't stand in one place the whole battle.

As said before, there are chained skills if you prefer to do them in a certain order. However, this doesn't always work because the mob may move left or right or hop back, which interrupts your rotation and makes your attack worthless. You can also be knocked down in the middle of an attack.

Certain classes benefit from the rotation of skills, and others do not. For example, Warrior attacks are kind of average unless you chain them together. Combative Strike deals a decent amount of damage and reduces the target's defense, but it also makes Traverse Cut increase from 5 hits to 13 hits, which is a huge bonus, so its a good idea to chain them. Traverse Cut also makes Blade Draw MUCH faster. Normally Blade Draw takes about 3 seconds, but if you do it after Traverse Cut, its 1 to 1.5 seconds which is also a huge bonus. So basically, if you're a good dps warrior, you'll be doing Combative Strike > Traverse Cut > Blade Draw as often as you can. And that's IF the enemy is standing still, which it usually isn't.

Berserker, on the other hand, doesn't receive these benefits in the way Warrior does. You want to charge up Thunder Strike and use it as often as you can because its your big numbers attack. After that use a fully charged Cyclone or Flatten, and maybe a standard attack to get some MP. By then Thunder Strike is up again, so you'll use that. All of these abilities don't benefit from the chain system, so you can use them in any order, or other abilities too, as it won't make a difference.

I've not played a mage yet, but I'd imagine there would be very little reason to use chained abilities.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying "You don't need macros when there is no lock-on targeting."
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
Claude
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick View Post
I've not played a mage yet, but I'd imagine there would be very little reason to use chained abilities.
There's glyphs that add bonuses to some spells that are chained(think all classes have some that do this), but Sorcerers are basically priority based class like Zerks.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Akujima
Manly High Graduate
Forum Member

Kind of funny, but now that I think about it, you guys are right. The only real use for macros was because of Tab Targeting. Now that there isn't any tab targeting, macro's are kinda pointless.

And I can tell you from my experience playing a Slayer that "Chain Skills" are kinda like Skillchains from FFXI, except you're doing them mostly by yourself.

Think of Slayer as all these classes combined:

- WoW Warrior (Because of all the charging/intercepting and stunning)
- FFXI Samurai (Because of all the self chain skills and combos)
- FFXI Dark Knight (Because the attacks are strong but slow, plus because of the greatsword)

So basically what Wenrick said, is that I have a skill called "Overhand Strike" which takes about 2.5~3 seconds to execute, but if I use a skill called "Stunning Backhand" first and after I chain that using "Overhand Strike" then it only takes about 1 second to execute, making it easier to hit and alot less chance that it will miss because the mob is moving, or got knocked back by someone else attacking it, etc.

So ya, skill really plays a role at how well you are able to aim your attacks and time the chains, etc. It's really fun, and it reminds me of Secret of Mana for the SNES. It's an action RPG basically.

Last edited by Akujima; 04-24-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #25
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

So the battle system is basically hack-n-slash. I asked about macros because I always play caster classes, and they tend to have a lot of different spells and abilities. I was wondering how a player would go about using all those spells with a gamepad. In FFXI, you pressed R1 or L1 to bring up your action bars (which were all basically macros) and used the d-pad to navigate them. That was a more efficient way to cast spells rather than opening up the menu and looking for it on a list. I liked playing around with macros, I would somewhat 'bend' the game rules of FF11 by using <t> and <st> as if/then parameters. They made me much better at playing my jobs than other people.

So what I meant to ask was how does the gamepad play for caster classes with lots of spells?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #26
Claude
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I don't play with a controller so really can't help you out here, but you may want to read through this: https://tera-support.enmasse.com/app...our-play-style
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #27
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,705 Times in 3,492 Posts

Keyboard+mouse for me, I require fast movement (for pvp + pve)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
aaris
Forum Member

Quote:
So the battle system is basically hack-n-slash. I asked about macros because I always play caster classes, and they tend to have a lot of different spells and abilities. I was wondering how a player would go about using all those spells with a gamepad. In FFXI, you pressed R1 or L1 to bring up your action bars (which were all basically macros) and used the d-pad to navigate them. That was a more efficient way to cast spells rather than opening up the menu and looking for it on a list. I liked playing around with macros, I would somewhat 'bend' the game rules of FF11 by using <t> and <st> as if/then parameters. They made me much better at playing my jobs than other people.

So what I meant to ask was how does the gamepad play for caster classes with lots of spells?

I've actually wondered about that myself since I almost always play a caster. I have only played Tera with my mouse + keyboard so I'm not sure =[

/off topic I remember when I finally had a PC that could run FFXI I couldn't play without my PS2 controller. I was stuck in my mog house for like 10 minutes because I couldn't figure out what keys did what xD The layout and keyboard shortcuts were a bit weird in comparison to most games. /end off topic
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #29
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Various random screenshots

Spoiler: show

The semi strange but cool "holding out weapon" bug (The pose you have with the axe out while riding a horse is awesome)

Reasons why my castanic needs the Lv38 gold armor

Lv38 blue axe biggest crit so far for me O_o
People say its not doable, I just say.... your gemming wrong O_o

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #30
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

You mean, this Lv.38 gold body piece?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Tapioca
Tataru? Maaaaybe
Forum Member

you mean this lvl 38 Gold body.....

Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #32
Claude
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Hm?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick View Post
You mean, this Lv.38 gold body piece?
I will rape you...! literally O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Hm?

looks too good, I bet its shopped...! O_o
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
Mjblaster
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

oooh I like that, sorcerer

hey, W T H
do PvP servers get better drops and xp faster?

I tried a little on PvP and I don't remember getting silver off those lv1 trees before on PvE.
You know I was the first one on my PvE server to put mana elixir V on trade house, saturday. I crafted it, too.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

I don't think PvP servers get better item or money drops. However PvP servers are generally filled with the more dedicated players, ones who are willing to put the time and effort into leveling faster and spending more time in the game. This isn't the case with everyone, of course, but its a general trend.

I think I was the first one in my guild to get the gold Lv38 axe. I took it to +3 cause it was cheap, but I don't see myself blowing 50g on upgrading it further when the level cap is going to be 60 very soon.

Also, GvG can be fun when it isn't so infuriating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TERA_ScreenShot_Zerg.png
Views:	114
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	102365  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #36
Shippuu
They say he's got to Go!
Forum Member

My Castanic Berserker, Kaelan

My Aman Lancer, Zakat

My Baraka Priesst, Apeiros

And my Aman Slayer (who I prolly won't ever play much lol)
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #37
Claude
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Gulk~

Edit:

Last edited by Claude; 05-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #38
Shippuu
They say he's got to Go!
Forum Member

Now with 100% more Halos and Glowing Orbs!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #39
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quick screnshot but...! The world of tera is amazing O_o

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #40
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

4chan keeps the server lively and crazy all in one