Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 10-31-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
Kamilynn
Displaced ffxidats modder
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Default So, how viable is ffxi these days?

Hi guys! Long time no social life.

Some people might recognize me from my modding days! Or from my time on Diabolos, then I believe Siren for a short time after the (first) mergers. Like, let's just say my highest is in the 80s because it was 85 cap, barely, when I played most recently.

Anyway. Going through a lot right now (who knew that my husband, who i met through neko in 2011, would have an issue with ongoing infidelity?! Well, me after the first X times but anyway) and realized that I'm not that fun girl i used to be, and would like to get back into something! Won't be right away, my internet connection is.... satellite and expensive as hell with overages.

But, might as well look into it before hand right?! Anything fun going on? What server might I find myself in these days - I hear there was a few rounds of mergers? Anyone around that might help a former "I'm fun and I'm female and that is generally enough to make up for my lack of skills," not going to take it too seriously but interested in the social aspect kinda player? Did they ever make it cheaper?!

(Not interested in any eRP, sorry guys, not my thing)

Lemme know what you know, if there's anything worth knowing! Thanks!
Old 11-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Kynikos
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

A few key points i'll try to answer in no particular order.

First, Servers! There haven't been any merges in quite some time, however most of the NA & EU community has congregated onto Asura which regularly has 3kish characters online and sometimes breaks 5k during events or big updates.

The subscription fees are still the same as they always were, unfortunately. They do regularly have free login weeks though if you're looking to try it out again before you commit to giving XI your money again.

The flow of the game has changed a fair bit towards a more social friendly pace. You can achieve most things in XI now with a few friends and there are only really a handful of events that need dedicated, high skill & high gear tier players.

I know a few people who play on satellite internet and XI holds up impressively well simply because its netcode was originally designed for dialup so the game itself is fairly forgiving when it comes to latency.

It's also worth noting, if you quit during the abyssea era there is an absolute wealth of new (to you) content from 2 full expansions and one ongoing one for you to enjoy. I'm sure you'll find plenty of adventures in Vanadiel if you do find you way back to us. The game is STILL receiving monthly updates and has just started receiving story updates again for the first time in a couple of years. There's a whole new continent too, Ulbuka.

If you do find your way back and happen to find yourself on asura, you're more than welcome to drop me a tell (my character name is the same as my username) I'd be happy to help a returning player get a foothold in the game again!

Edit; there's also a nekosentai discord server if you haven't already joined it. It has an XI section and in general tends to be more active than the forums imo.

Last edited by Kynikos; 11-01-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
Kamilynn
Displaced ffxidats modder
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Its more about the usage - we only have 50gb a month and my cousin does a lot of her business work from home and eats a lot of it. Should have something less maddening soon, though.

If you can point me in the direction of the discord server - i know, i should be able to search it, but limited internet ::excuses excuses:: I can certainly check it out!
Old 11-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Kynikos
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts on this account to post URLs so I can't actually link to the discord server. I'm not sure if that restriction also applies to PMs, so I'll try sending it through one.

50Gb per month seems really restrictive, I think I'd go insane. I'm sure you're looking forward to replacing it with a better solution!

Edit; Nope. Can't post links in PMs either. But if you go to the Final Fantasy MMO > FFXIV Stuff forums here on neko, about halfway down the page is a topic regarding the discord server and the OP contains a link.

Last edited by Kynikos; 11-02-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
eissa
Pro-Lurker
Forum Member

Not sure if someone linked already to the nekosentai discord

https://discord.gg/rgp7YeRn

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff