Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Albert65565
Forum Member

Default Screaming wash machine, repair or replace?

Recently our 10 years old Kenmore Elite, SM 9710803-A washer started screaming when enterting spin cycle. The noise is horribly sharp and loud, it lasts a few minutes then disappears.

The washer has been repaired twice. The 1st time we replaced agitator when it started damaging clothes. We were told that we put sharp items in the washer that caused burs on the agitator, we throught we never did but admitted nontheless. The 2nd time the washer quit. We were told that we should not set the water level in between two water level indicators. DH loved to do that, the repair bill cured this habbit. We are not crazy about the washer, but it gets the job done.

May I ask is this an expensive problem to fix? DH wants to get a new washer since it is 10 years old. I suspect the thought of dealing with Sears repair department gives him incentive of buying a new machine elsewhere. Yet after reading reviews of wash machines of different models under various brands, I am thinking may be it is worthwhile to fix and keep this one.

Any feedback will be very appreciated.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Black Star
Forum Member

SM 9710803-A is not a model number. If you found the number on the lid, top deck, control panel, rear panel, etc., it's a vendor production number for that single part. Agitator infers toploader, but there's more than one mechanical design under the Kenmore Elite branding so I can't accurately answer without the model.

A screeching noise at the start of spin (presumably during basket acceleration) that eases when full speed is reached may be related to the spin clutch or brake, basket drive block being worn, or bearings. Does a similar noise occur when the basket brakes to a stop at end of spin?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Lucifer656
Forum Member

I understand your situation. I repaired my washing machine myself by studying Samsung Washing Machines User Manuals http://samsung.manymanuals.com/washing-machines . You find the model number, the cause of the failure, and fix it. And most importantly, it is inexpensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucifer656 For This Useful Post:
mariopepper (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
mariopepper
Forum Member

I didn't even know it's possible to fix washing machine with only uer manual

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum