Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Anime Stuff

Notices

Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
SatanSpork
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Location: currently locked in mortal combat with Caramelldansen.

Default A question for the anime fans here.

Things to keep in mind:
1: I don't watch much anime.
2: The few I do watch are usually on CN's Adult Swim.
3: I don't really like that much anime and I don't think I ever will.

With that said, I have to ask. Could somebody explain to me what exactly happened in FLCL? And if they ever explained what Foolcooly (Spelled right?) means? And why did the boy (whose name I can't remember) have crap growing out his head?

One last thing. Anyone heard of an anime called Birdy The Mighty? I saw it once on the Sci-Fi channel once and never saw it again. Anyone know where I can get ahold of a copy of it?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

The rule of FLCL is to NOT TRY AND UNDERSTAND IT.

Just watch it for what it is, laugh if you think it's funny, change the channel if you think it isn't. There isn't much rhyme or reason to it, to be honest, so just take it for what it is.

Plus I hardly consider CN Adult's Swim Anime.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Well FLCL does have a storyline. It's pretty straight forward too. Yeah FLCL is more based around just nonsensical mayhem for the most part, so it's kind of like "Bobobo Bo Bo Bobo" , with the pointless chaos, but far better.

The quick sum of the story is basically Naota's head has become a portal, after Haruko hit him with her Vespa, to an alternate dimension were the Space Pirate was trapped. Haruko is looking for that Space Pirate, from what it seems is because she's in love with him. It could also be she wants his power. On top of all that an agency trying to prevent "Medical Mechanica" from smoothing out the universe is looking for and trying to destroy it's "Terminal Core". Eventually the "Terminal Core" reveals itself and brings to life "Medical Mechanica", that's when the power of the Space Pirate shows itself in Naota along with the legendary Guitar that comes out of his head. Stops "Medical Mechanica" and flees out of Haruko's reach, leaving Naota basically normal again.

As for the name Fooly Cooly is a butchered up form of Furi Kuri which are the two common sound effects used in Manga's to indicate breast fondeling or petting. "Furi furi" is the actually breast fondeling sfx while "Kuri kuri" is the petting sfx. Both of which are even played on in the anime with Naota's father saying "Furi furi" during the scene intentionally changed to a manga style.

It's more one people like for the utter chaos and comical natures in it, outside of that they could care less of the storyline. Yeah, if you are bassing anime on only a few you've seen then you're giving it an unfair assessment. Especially since anime spans a large genre of types.

As for Birdy that is quite an old anime it sales for like $5.00 from places like www.animeonestop.com. Anyway depending on what your likes are though Anime has varried areas.

If you want Mecha then probably look up stuff like: Neo Genesis Evangelion, Dual, Gundam, are a few...

If you want a cowboyish western style then: Trigun, Burst Angel, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star (Last two are space cowboyish)

If you want samurai types then: Samurai X, Samurai Champloo, Ruroni Kenshin (Series derived from Samurai X), etc...

If you want funny types then: FLCL, Abenobashi Magical Arcade, Azumanga Daioh, Galaxy Angels, etc...

I mean even ones with a moral lesson then go with: Someday's Dreamers, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro (Many are Miyuzaki's works here)

Love storyish/humor are ones like: Maburaho, Howl's Moving Castle, Angel Tails (Yes tail not tale, but translation error made it "Angel Tale", original anime name is "Tenshi no shippo" = "Angel's with tails")

If you want Cyberpunk then it's ones like: Ghost in the Shell, Armitage, Gunslinger Girl

Anime covers quite a large span that about the only way you couldn't like is if you put up a bogus reason such as "I don't like cartoons". Still makes me laugh my mother had said that yet her favorite movie and probably one of the few she'll watch over and over is "The Lion King". :roll:
Old 12-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
SatanSpork
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Location: currently locked in mortal combat with Caramelldansen.

Huh. Like i said I don't watch much anime. But thanks for clearing that up, Hadrubient.
And Mythago? I don't follow the rules. I break them. :twisted:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Anime Stuff