Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Default Windows Vista

Has anyone else here "upgraded" to windows Vista? I got one for like... $25 from my uncle (Home premium) which is sitting right in front of me but I'm afraid to install. Will it delete all my files? Which of my games are compatible? How do I find an easy way to back-up over 400 gigs of anime and games because if it deletes all my files I don't have all my old, fun game CDs with me so that would totally suck.

So yeah... if anyone knows anything about that then reply? Also... is there a program out there that can tell you what is and is not compatible (game wise) with it?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

In my biased opinion, I don't trust any microsoft product until its been on the market for at least a year and has been shown to have no major bugs.

Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it with a 20-foot pole.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Undeadhunter
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm going to upgrade soon because I'm buying a GeForce 8800 GTS and it's Direct X 10 compatible (one of the few cards atm) and buying new motherboard & dual core intel processor at the same time, from what i've seen it's all pretty and stuff but I'm still sceptic, if it wasnt for my new card I wouldnt have touched it with a air proof suit
Old 03-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #4
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythago
Has anyone else here "upgraded" to windows Vista? I got one for like... $25 from my uncle (Home premium) which is sitting right in front of me but I'm afraid to install. Will it delete all my files? Which of my games are compatible? How do I find an easy way to back-up over 400 gigs of anime and games because if it deletes all my files I don't have all my old, fun game CDs with me so that would totally suck.

So yeah... if anyone knows anything about that then reply? Also... is there a program out there that can tell you what is and is not compatible (game wise) with it?
well i know for sure FFXI isn't compatable with it. but SE announced they're working on it
Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Katella Zeyn
OMG PWNIES
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_panshiel
Quote:

well i know for sure FFXI isn't compatable with it. but SE announced they're working on it
It's semi-compatible. I recently bought a new laptop that has Vista and when I installed FFXI, it wouldn't runb ecause POL wouldn't open. A friend found a solution to try and it worked, though i occasionally still have a problems. It requires copying a previous XP-install of FFXI over the copy that's in Vista (this might mean that if you upgrade from XP to Vista, it'll still open and run). Once in a while, my have trouble actually logging my character in (It goes to the "oooDownloadingooo" screen and just stops), but for the most part it runs fine.

I dont' know if it'll delete all your files when you install, but 98(SE) and XP didn't, so I doubt Vista will. If you want a list of programs that are and aren't compatible... http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List

It doesn't seem to be complete (doesn't list FFXI).

Edit: Also, if you don't have at least 1GB of RAM, I wouldn't bother installing Vista. More would definitely be better. >_>
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,412 Times in 3,368 Posts

I'm not touching vista till later on down the road.. like atleast1 year after its out where it'll hopefully have better support/security then it currently has
Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Sounds like something I plan on doing as well when it isn't as... untrustworthy, shall we say.

And z0mgwtfbbq! Gulk, you using an ELVAAN for a sig? :shock:
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,412 Times in 3,368 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like something I plan on doing as well when it isn't as... untrustworthy, shall we say.

And z0mgwtfbbq! Gulk, you using an ELVAAN for a sig? :shock:
its my 2nd time :P

it looked nice and its drawn by one of my fav artists too had to use!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I will wait another year, a lot of games give problems with Vista right now.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
kalwern
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Im not touching vista and it all depends on what windows u have now. I have pro and it says on ther site that i would need to do a fresh install.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Maneki Neko
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Vista? Not worth my time, patience, and resources.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

Two words: Dual Booting.

If you have more than one hard drive install Vista on the one XP isn't on. If you don't have two or more drives, partition the one you have. I don't know if Vista will allow dual booting upon installation but if it doesn't, take out your main hard drive, switch it to slave mode, then the secondary to master mode. Unplug the hard drive with XP on it and boot up with the Vista disc in your CD/DVD drive. After you install Vista then reconnect the drive with XP on it, and edit your boot.ini file for the two operating systems. Afterwards you'll have Vista and XP, this should work in theory. I did it with Windows XP and 2000. If Vista doesn't work how you want it to you can simply delete it, then switch back the slave/master settings on your hard drives and your system will be the same as it was originally.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:03 AM   #13
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i probaly won't upgrade at all as it seems theres a direct x 10 emulator in the works for XP
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 AM   #14
Miayoko
Hurr Durr
Forum Member

Yaztheman has Vista and he plays XI on it theres a patch out but he can't stand Vista....he hates it with a bloody passion actually =; ;=
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
TOD
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_panshiel
Quote:

my brother found a patch for that took him a week or so going through searches post and etc etc ill try to get it if anyone is intrested

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum