Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Default Command and Conquer 3

Title says it all. I've been looking at it and being a big fan on C&C I've been having thoughts about adding it to my collection. ANyone here have any personal experience with it?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

It is made of win, good, and awesome.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Just how much awesome are we talking about here?

(BTW love the Threshold part of your sig. <3 Hammerfall)
Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well imo it's easily the best RTS of 2007. For some reason I just wasn't that fond of Supreme Commander. The graphics are incredible, the three sides are perfectly balanced. GDI keeps up with the typical heavy hitting it always has had. They have their classic mammoth tanks back. Also, their juggernaut walkers can hit targets clear across map if you use snipers to spot for them. Nod feels like Nod, fast units, not as strong as GDI but a lot more fun to play. They got a lot of love in this game. They can use their beam cannon artillery to charge obelisks and boost damage and range. They can even bounce the beams off their venom flyers to hit obstructed targets. The Scrin are pretty lethal in the air, and damn annoying on the ground since tiberium doesn't harm them.

There are only a few problems.

Earlier Infantry are generally useless on their own. They run too slow and die too easily.

Huge armies tend to have pathfinding problems, especially in urban areas.

You can't build walls in this one.

New features in this one:
Vehicles have heavier armor in the front so you have to use more strategy on how you place your armies.

Infantry can take cover near structures giving them a huge boost to their defensive ability and makes it nearly impossible to suppress them.

There are more "Special abilities" you get by building the required buildings or technology. So a lot more variety than the traditional nuke or ion cannon. GDI can call in different reinforcements, Zone trooper drop pods, air strikes, emp artillery strikes, or the ion cannon. NOD gets to seed tiberium, a catalyst missile which makes refineries and tiberium go boom, a cloaking field, and other things. The scrin can call ion storms, teleport units, and their superweapon the "Rift Generator" among other things.

Just found these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxbhSMrHhsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySzM8g_yEQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4WuvsSCko
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
TTT
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

This is good to know~
I was thinking about getting it but I wasn't certain how good it was..

"It is made of win, good, and awesome." is good enough for me, hehe. ^^
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

It seems to incorporate some Company of Heroes into it's mix, judging by the the changes to their vehicles, use of cover for infantry, and the fact they seem to gain EXP the more battle they see like the Ally units do.

I guess I might have to pick this up as well now though. :lol:
Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Undeadhunter
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

did you just say ... they're ballanced? >_>

did you play the game?

Scrin are WAY overpowered ... just build enough airships and you can take out a complete base in 10 seconds

NOD is made of win tho :P

Old 05-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

airships smairships. If a scrin player takes the time to try and build up air power, he easily falls to my scorpion rush.

I just finished a 5 way FFA. Upgraded nod buggies and venoms make short work of scrin air power.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #9
Undeadhunter
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barachiel
airships smairships. If a scrin player takes the time to try and build up air power, he easily falls to my scorpion rush.

I just finished a 5 way FFA. Upgraded nod buggies and venoms make short work of scrin air power.
those airships have a longer range then anything in the game tho, they'll destory a pack of whatevers before they can even get in range. Scrin ARE supperiour in the air and on land with their freaking force field those damn spiders are anoying XD
Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #10
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Lighter vehicles will be destroyed. Avatars however are extremely resilient. The AI sent 3 warships and an assault carrier, along with a bunch of tripods at me. I sent down about 10 venoms and 8 avatars to counter them. Actually I built the venoms when I saw they were sending ships, good thing they build fast lol. Those venoms, I swear are ship killers after they're upgraded. each of the ships shields didn't last more than a few seconds once I started shooting. My avatars meanwhile held their ground against the tripods. In the end I only lost 3 venoms from that annoying carrier, and 2 or 3 avatars vs. the scrin's 6 tripods 3 warships and carrier. But yeah the scrin if you let them get going, they're hard to beat back. Have to really rush them early on when they're weak and keep them in check. Same with GDI kind of. You let them build up 30 or so mammoth tanks then you're pretty much screwed unless you have a nuke waiting.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 AM   #11
Undeadhunter
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Lighter vehicles will be destroyed. Avatars however are extremely resilient. The AI sent 3 warships and an assault carrier, along with a bunch of tripods at me. I sent down about 10 venoms and 8 avatars to counter them. Actually I built the venoms when I saw they were sending ships, good thing they build fast lol. Those venoms, I swear are ship killers after they're upgraded. each of the ships shields didn't last more than a few seconds once I started shooting. My avatars meanwhile held their ground against the tripods. In the end I only lost 3 venoms from that annoying carrier, and 2 or 3 avatars vs. the scrin's 6 tripods 3 warships and carrier. But yeah the scrin if you let them get going, they're hard to beat back. Have to really rush them early on when they're weak and keep them in check. Same with GDI kind of. You let them build up 30 or so mammoth tanks then you're pretty much screwed unless you have a nuke waiting.
nuke puke!

only downside to avatars (imo) are no airdefence >_< while mammoths have it they dont ; ;
Old 05-09-2007, 03:11 AM   #12
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

That's where stealth tanks are fun. Have a bunch follow your avatars and scorpions around. When the enemy brings in air, back up a bit with the main force and kill it all with the tanks. That's really fun to do with an army of fully upgraded avatars.

"Say, that nod commander must be smoking the pipe! Look at that piddly little force of tanks. My tripods will make short work of those!" "Wait what?" "Oh shi*! where'd those avatars come from?!?" "Bring in the warships!" "OMFG stealth tanks!!! Nooo my beautiful armada!!!!"

I always set a few stealth tanks around the tiberium fields. Some fool harvester comes in and gets blown to bits. Never gets old.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #13
Undeadhunter
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
That's where stealth tanks are fun. Have a bunch follow your avatars and scorpions around. When the enemy brings in air, back up a bit with the main force and kill it all with the tanks. That's really fun to do with an army of fully upgraded avatars.

"Say, that nod commander must be smoking the pipe! Look at that piddly little force of tanks. My tripods will make short work of those!" "Wait what?" "Oh shi*! where'd those avatars come from?!?" "Bring in the warships!" "OMFG stealth tanks!!! Nooo my beautiful armada!!!!"

I always set a few stealth tanks around the tiberium fields. Some fool harvester comes in and gets blown to bits. Never gets old.
lol

I alays upgrade all my avatars with stealth crap makes them way more fun XD

also an assload of beam tanks in defence is great fun

all concentrated on 1 target = insta death
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #14
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

I just got Act 3 for the GDI, no idea how many there are total, but I did do a quick skirmish to see how much I sucked at it... and won oddly enough. How so? To put it simply...

I have seen Jesus. He is a squad of Elite Mammoth tanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I think mammoths are kind of underpriced. It's too easy to field a large army of the most devastating vehicle in the game. Avatars are more expensive, far more expensive if you take technology stealing to uber them up into account, while they lack any anti air ability. Tripods cost slightly less than mammoths, but they really need shields to be effective and that upgrade costs more than rail guns. If it was me, I'd up mammoth cost to 3200 or so and lower avatar cost a bit. But I'd also make predators and their whatchamacallit buggys (I never use them lol) a bit tougher.

For fun reasons I'd deactivate the friendly fire splash damage on the firehawks air to air attack. They keep blowing themselves up whenever they attack scrin ships.

Something else I'd do is let avatars steal stuff from buggies and scorpions. From buggies they could gain an anti air attack, and scorpions would give them increased speed.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #16
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

You mean the pitbulls. I use them a lot, actually. as long as no one direct fires THEM then they are are actually rather good surface to air AA. But then again that's the problem... they are friggin pansies so anyone can breath heavy on them and they blow up...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions