Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default PS2 Issues

Ok, so I've been playing FFXI on PS2 for 3 years or so now and my PS2 is showing signs of... well... dying. Wont read discs, and in game I get slowdowns a lot worse than I used to, and freezing up more than before as well. I have another PS2 here, a fair bit newer and in good working order, but when I try to run FFXI on it, the following happens.

I go into Browser, I go into the HDD, and I select POL Viewer. The screen fades out, like normal, but then after a few seconds, it fades back to the browser and wont actually start the viewer.

Does anyone know why it's doing that and/or how to make it work? It's bugging me, and with the announcement of the new expansion in winter this year, I'm doubting my current PS2 will survive long enough to even install the expansion, let along run it >.<
Old 05-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Akumamoto
Regular Forum User
Doujin Team

For starters, make sure you know your user name and password for FFXI and to record or know the account info aka credit/debit card, person name, birthdate, etc that you filled in. This way if something goes wrong, you're not screwed.

In order to use a PS2's HDD with a PC or another PS2, it must be reformated, meaning all data is lost and then it'll work with the new unit.

If your PS2 is having trouble reading discs, you can still partially revive that portion by turning the unit off and unplugging it and then removing the top (it's connected to the base via a ribbon cable so caution) and unscrewing and taking off the plate that covers the disc drive. This will expose the laser reader which you don't want to look at (if you're under warranty, it's best to go through warranty) since it can damage your eyes. By the disc reader is a weird looking dial that adjusts the distance between the laser and where the disc sits.

If your laser is dirty, clean it with a lense cloth such as from glasses/camera/etc. If that doesn't fix your issue, you can view that dial (some later models have 2 dials) and move the dial until the laser is all the way at the bottom of the base. From here, you can heighten the laser (closer might work better for you) and see if one of the dial notches works. Warning that you may get different playback capability on different notches. One notch for example might let you play no CD's/DVD's. Another notch might let you only play DVD discs, etc. There are some good guides on GameFAQs about this I think in the general PS2 board/FAQ section. There's at least a main topic dealing with all the common questions and it's in that.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well, my current PS2 certainly isn't under warranty, it was given to me like 5 years ago at least, and I've already opened it up several times here and there to clean it out.

How would I go about reformatting the HDD?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Akumamoto
Regular Forum User
Doujin Team

Again, make sure you have all your user's info like the billing info and your POL ID. My friend lost their account because she never wrote her stuff down and then the PS2 HDD crashed.

By hooking it up to another unit, you should be prompted to format. There should also possibly be a format option in perhaps one of the utility menu options.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'll give it a shot, and I know all my account info off the top of my head ^^, and if I forget somehow, I still have it saved in my PC version.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #6
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Ok, so I took a look through it and everything, and I'm not finding any option to reformat the HDD, and I don't wanna go just deleting things from it cuz it'd probably screw it up x.x

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff