Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Default RPG Maker

Hey I found this
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/

Anyone else ever played the original RPG Maker for PS1, or RPG Maker 2 or 3? Well it's on windows XP now. :D I've been toying around with it. Figure this would be a good place to share ideas and RPG's if anyone else gets into it.

Sorry if it's been posted already.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
aidenraine
Taru Eater
Forum Member

they've always had RPG makers for windows, but they looked more along the lines of 8-bit.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

I've been working with Nakate on one of her projects for this game. I must say its coming along quite nicely. She has the game mastered so well that she's putting her own artwork in the game as well. There's still a long way to go until finished, so don't expect a final version anytime soon. She doesn't want too much revealed at this moment, so lets just leave it at that. :wink:
Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

What's nice about the PC version is they give you full access to the actual programming language (written in Ruby) used to run the game. (RPG Maker 2 on the PS2 comes close, but they're still limited to a certain number of commands they can give you)

I haven't delved into the programming part as much as I'd like to, but the possibilities are really endless. Through code manipulation I think someone even made R-Type in it (Don't ask me how, I have no idea)

And if I could think of a good screen shot, I'd give a preview of what Wenrick and I have done in it.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

That sounds awesome! You'll have to post the finished .exe when you're done with it, whenever that may be. :3 Sounds fantastic!

Everyone else, give it a try at least, I mean c'mon. Haven't you ever thought, "Man, I could make a better RPG than this..."? It's fun, easy to use, and free! (for 30 days)
Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Hey just wondering is there any easy way to put a World Map in if anybody knows?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

As far as I can tell, there is no real function to make a world map. Your best bet is to use a sprite set where everything looks smaller and make a normal map, while at the same time changing the character's sprite to a smaller version of him/herself.

If you check the writings page of my site and download Dimensional Shift I use a degree of a world map on the opening planet. You'll have to go through two monsterless dungeons to get to it though.

edit: Another, more elaborate idea would be to make your character invisible, and put him on a large, elaborate, brown-scale, FFXI-world-map-like image, which you could make with your own sprite set. An invisible character would act like a cursor where you could select towns, putting in events you can walk over, and go to when you "examine" them. You could also make a blank sprite that you can't walk through, and put it on the second layer to put in boundaries you don't want the "cursor" going to.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i remember those days i used to use them rpg makers years ago i had some nice sites that had some really good codes like i had a blue mage character that would learn abilities of enemies
Old 06-17-2007, 04:08 AM   #9
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Sounds like a good idea, Nakate. I'll try it out. Thanks! ^^
Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I'd love to make my own RPG from scratch, but I need to learn some programming first, but need money for college ; ;

I had some pretty good ideas to >.>
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

At least with RPG Maker XP, you really don't need to know any programming. There's an entire engine set up for you, with preset sprites, music, items, battlebacks, you name it. The interface is pretty intuitive so it's not that hard to get it to do what you want. Both games I'm working on, I haven't altered the coding much at all, and yet they appear as two completely different games. Really, the only coding I altered was to give the "divine power refills your HP/MP when you level up."

The possibilities are vast as is, but if you DO know some programming (Ruby, to be precise) the possibilities expand form there to become really endless. Heck, I honestly don't know any Ruby, but I know C++ pretty well, and used that knowledge to grope around in the code until I found what I was after. I imagine if I did know some Ruby I'd be able to put up a full-detail picture on the status screen like I've been trying to for the past three months >.>
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

True, but like I said. I had a few "unusual" ideas.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Well, let's see, I'm making one game as part of the timeline of a book I wrote where the main character is the God of Gods, omnipotent, etc, but lost his memories due to a stupid move on his part, and is now on a quest to get his memories back/kill off a God of Darkness bent on destroying the Omniverse while systematically loosing his cool from time to time, his original power seeping through and blowing up a couple of planets...
The other game's a semi-H game where it's considered indecent for women to cover up themselves, but nobody on the planet can have perverted thoughts so it's not an issue. At the same time, beings with perverted thoughts are starting to crop up thanks to the evil power of an insane (She probably does have a few screws loose) woman who murdered the King and took over...
Does either of those count for being unusual <.<

And no, I don't work for Enterbrain, I just really like this program. My only gripe is it's 2D, but there is supposedly an RPG Maker 3D in the works. *waits patiently*
Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I didn't get too focused on a storyline with my idea, more the interface that kind of stuff. Since I'd love to do game programming/design... but I'm flat assed broked, I was going to college last year but had no way of travel since I couldn't afford a plane ticket ; ;
Old 06-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Ah, that makes sense. If you'd been more focused on making an engine, that would take some time and effort to make. RPG Maker can indeed do it, but altering the engine itself would take a decent amount of programming knowledge. Not to mention it would require a large amount of time, and hence the free trial wouldn't be long enough. Sorry for the confusion, I see where you're coming from now. Sadly though, I can't really think of anything to help your situation. :?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
Rina Refine

...I DEMAND U PUT ME IN UR GAME! XP
...with cat ears...

Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakate
Ah, that makes sense. If you'd been more focused on making an engine, that would take some time and effort to make. RPG Maker can indeed do it, but altering the engine itself would take a decent amount of programming knowledge. Not to mention it would require a large amount of time, and hence the free trial wouldn't be long enough. Sorry for the confusion, I see where you're coming from now. Sadly though, I can't really think of anything to help your situation. :?
Yeah, that's the main reason I stay away form those game creator programs. They are limited unless you know programming. The only programming I've ever done is True Basic Bronze in my senior year at high school, however TB is a VERY old language and from what I seen, pretty bad.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

I hadn't actually seen one myself yet, but I found a really good platform game made in RPG Maker. Someone actually made a short Metroid game. This was largely made to show the engine itself, not so much to be a complete game. It's surprisingly well-made, the only downsides I've seen are that when you shoot something it doesn't die, and when you step on those green moving platforms, you don't move with them (You have to run with them.) I've learned a lot more about scripting in RPG Maker recently, and imagine if I had to I could fix those, but that would take up far more time than I can set aside to goofing off at the moment.

If anybody wants to try it, you do NOT need to have RPG Maker XP installed to run it. You DO, however, need to have the RGSS-RTP installed. This is nothing special, just go to this site, download the executable (by clicking "I agree" at the bottom), run it and it'll extract wherever you want it to be. It may take two minutes tops. Then ignore it, you can now play any RPG Maker XP game just by clicking the executable. If you do have RPG Maker installed, however, or at least a trial run, you can take a look at how the maps are put together, and the horrendously complicated scripting.

RGSS-RTP
Metroid!

note: I hate megaupload, but to save my site some space and bandwidth, I just linked to where I originally found it

edit: Actually, the game seems pretty self-contained, you may not even need the RGSS-RTP to run it. I'd test it, but that would involve me uninstalling RPG Maker.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions