Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Thought's,Suggestion's,Idea's, Possibly even help

It is a known fact some ppl like some things others dont. It is also a fact that not everyone is techno savy or wants to deal with the headach of dat swap's. It is for the latter reason I created my dat pack on the hume page. But the cost was/is its a all or nothing affair. In my Very in the box way of thinking the only solution i could come up with was to find some unknown zip/rar program like winrar. that would let me creat a sfx archive like winrar but choose Y/N for each the files there in(UNLIKE WINRAR). or to code my own .exe (way way beyond my current skill set). Then today as i was working on creating my list now posted on that page a idea hit me. To use a combination of computer tricks & old school .bat file's.

My idea is this. To create a special auto pack same as i have now only diffrence is it would extract files to a temp folder say on your desktop or c:/ or similar it dosent really matter. Then create a bat that when you click it would run the above sfx rar.exe. then it would give you a manu of what you want or dont want to choose from. Have that bat then generate another bat file (I'v seen this done on some versions of windows disks so I know its possible.). The generated bat file would then copy the items selected from the temp directory to the ffxi install directory. possibly end the bat file with a command to delete the temp file depending how ppl would like a program deleting anything on thir computer.

Problem is my knowledge of bat files is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooBBBBBBBB!!!!!
I wouldent begin to know where to start on this idea. So I am asking. 1 do ppl think this is a good idea worth exploring? 2 if so dose anyone have anyidea's on bat command line that can be used for this.

Another good thing about using bat files is there is very little risk because if anyone is concernd they need only open it in notepad to see whats going on. even if u cant make heads or tales of it u can see enough to tell good or bad.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
pi314
Forum Member

I have a warning for you in this direction you are going. You can create a .bat virus - trust me I've done it. Untraceable, uses only common dos commands. In that note - I strongly suggest you picking up a book on DOS 6.2 - 6.22, you'll find it extremely helpful. Then there's always the slow way - go to a DOS prompt - and type (command)/?, but then ya hafta know the command to begin with.

It sounds like what you can use for these kinda things is the command called "choice", take a look at it sometime. I know it used to be in DOS 6.2 and win '95.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true Click on Choice - alphabetical order
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Rayne
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

From the little that I remember of my programming classes and what I remember of helping someone else in their class, would it be possible for it to all be bundled into a Visual Basic package?

That way you have a nice pretty GUI for everyone to look at and you can have in the install choices area buttons to select yes or no with images of the items.

I really only helped with the math portion of the programming. I usually sucked at the " if, then, else" statement command lines. Usually because I'd fall asleep in my Pascal and DOS classes. For some reason I was able to stay awake in my D-base class though. :?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I taught my self old school basic on my old TI-83 calc but as for visual basic it remains a mystery to me. good idea tho worth looking into.

to the other guy thanx for the heads up the info i alwase thought of bat files as genrally safe because u can pop it in notepad & see whats going on.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

And it hit me like a rock slaming into my head. .bat files can do the install work but for a GUI i could use a simple html file could have nice back drop even throw in some music to keep yah from getting board. been brainstorming i could even get multiple options & have it generate a script to use in combo with a .bat file. nice part is i could use a generator or MS publisher or similar for this idea. I am gonna start researching this soon & any1 have a pointer or 2 plz let me know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section