Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Twitter: Kanikou

Default Just for the record.

That "time mage" announcement was disproven. Oh, and, if you're smart, keep an eye on http://ff11creatersvoice.cocolog-nifty.com/

this blog, its one of the only "official" sources outside of the POL website, there was information about the goblin drink recipie here before it made its way around the net, if you can't read Japanese like me, tough, but, pictures explain more than words =P
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

So just because Time mage isn't listed in the blog it's false? True I can't read Japanese, but I see nothing in the pictures that would disprove it. Besides, they'll probably wait until the Fan Festival to announce it in any "official" documentation. Johnnyram has been a reliable source of leaked info in the past, and often times unofficial leaked info divulges more than official documentation around the same time period.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

When I toured the Square Enix facility in Los Angeles back in June, I signed a nondisclosure agreement, so I can't reveal any secrets.

But I can tell you this; I saw no evidence of any of the new jobs for FFXI. Nor did I see any evidence of a FFXI expansion. So sadly, I have no super secrets hidden. I don't know what the new jobs are going to be.

If the localization teams are working on the new expansion and/or the new jobs, they probably received it in either July or August and are either translating it as we speak, or they haven't received it yet.

But if you ask me what the new jobs will be, I can only give you what I think are the most viable jobs that could be implemented. Namely, Time Mage, Chemist, and Geomancer (or Elementalist).

But if you ask me what I hope the new jobs will be, I will say "A TANK JOB PRZ!" and "another support job, for the love of Altana!"

By the way, the GM's are really cool people once you get to know them. :wink:
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

GM Dave would be the only one I'd like to meet, lol
Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
Alizia
Spoonier than a Spoon
Forum Member

Don't really see what a Time Mage could do anyways, we already have Haste, Hastega, Slow and Slowga, only possible 'time' related magic I could think of is Stop, but I don't see what a new job would do based on Time. Besides, they already had the new jobs in the previous expansion, and considering they haven't finished those off yet (like Relic gear for them) I don't think they'd add new jobs so soon. Zilart had new jobs, CoP didn't, ToAU did, so I think they'll have a break before a new job. Also when ToAU was announced BLU was announced at the same time, Wings has been announced for a while with no official word at all on a new job, I highly doubt we'll be seeing any this expansion.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Bunji
Forum Member

Well, we can't really disprove they won't have new jobs in the expansion just based on what they've done in the past with releasing new expansions. You have to keep in mind two things for the possibilities of new jobs. 1: Well they be able to make a job that'll fit within the limitations the game has, and make it work, even if they need to give it upgrades in later updates. 2: Will the job fit in with the new storyline?

For Time Mage, Geomancer and Chemist, we've got to think about how they'd make it work, if it could within what the game is now. Time Mage could end up as a more magically inclined red mage without fighting skills, or it could something completely different. Geomancer, that one would be tough because of what past games have shown us what it does. If it becomes terrain based, it'll suffer problems along the lines the area it is in right now and the enemies weaknesses and resistances. If weather based, would it control dumb downed version of the weather, or will it depend on the weather in the area. In the end Geomancer just devolves into a black mage. Chemist... we've already got alchemy as a skill up, so what's the point of making it into a job.

No idea of what new ideas they would have for jobs, but a new tank job would be nice. And if Nakate jumps in here, no no no no a thousand times no to dancer. Annnd I'm done, thank you and good night.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Double post, see below.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Normally I would agree with you, but in an interview, a developer announced that there would be more than one new job in the next expansion (by using the plural form). From there, we are left to speculate.

Time Mage could work. Several of those time-based spells you mention are Summoner's Avatar only, which makes them rarely used. You can fairly implement those in the game for Time Mage by tweaking the MP cost, the recast time, and the success rate. You have to give Time Mage existing spells as well, such as Bind, Haste, Slow, Warp, and Warp II. Newer spells could include Haste II, Haste III, Slow II, Slow III, Hastega II, Slowga II, maybe even Warp III. Lets not forget the only attacking spell of the Time Mage, Meteor, which I believe the Behemoth HNM already has.

I'm just saying that anything is possible, its just a matter of using your imagination.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Going to make this really quick because I have to run off to work.

Chemist would be a kind of tool-using White Mage. Kind of a ninja-style healer. It would take a few tweaks to the alchemy trade, but I don't think it would need a huge revision. A passive ability the Chemist could have is "Alchemy Mastery" which would give all potions and ethers extra potency, like 10% or so.

The Geomancer one I think could work because there is such a variety of terrains in FFXI that it could be quite useful. As in games past, the Geomancer was a decent fighter, and their Geomancy, though weak, did cause certain debuffs as well, depending on the terrain. Ice terrain = paralyze, Earth terrain = slow, wind terrain = silence, water terrain = poison, etc.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

But I want dancer...

That aside. They could implement old jobs yet to be implemented, such as Time mage, Geomancer, Chemist, Mimic, and Calculator (or even dancer, based off of FFVI's Mog), or they could implement completely new jobs not referencing something already implemented. (I know Puppetmaster came from their trying to implement a necromancer-type job, but it's still new, as far as I can tell, to the FF genre)

Bunji was right in that this expansion is going back in time to the Crystal War, so a new job would have to fit with the time period. Dancer... no, it just wouldn't fit. It would also have to fit into the game as a reasonable job. Any of them could, indeed, be implemented, but how well? To go over some of the other ones: Keep in mind these are my OPINIONS, which are always open to being proven wrong:

Time mage: Between the hastes, slows, hastegas, etc and new spells, it could be implemented. On the other hand, it would essentially be a buff-debuff mage. A rdm that can't melee or refresh. Neat as the idea may be, I doubt SE would implement something as such, seeing how it would be used beforehand.

Geomancer: Once again, it could be implemented, and quite well, but its usefulness suffers. Since its powers are based on the land it's fighting on, it would only have certain abilities in certain areas. EXP pts (As much as I hate to admit, grinding is a large part of the game) tend to fight in certain areas at certain levels. So between certain levels, when everyone's going to a certain place, a Geomancer would only have a choice few abilities to use the entire time. These may or may not be useful against the enemies they choose to fight. Especially against NMs, HNM, even dynamis. It's a major fight, in a set location. With only certain abilities at their disposal, they'll excel at some, and be craptacular against others. In dynamis, what if the abilities they get in, say Windurst, aren't that effective against Yagudo? They eessentially become a rather large paperweight. Overall, it would just be aggravating. To make them more useful, they'd have to give them more abilities for each area. With more abilities, they, as Bunji said, tend to regress into just a BLM. It is a unique idea, though, and with enough tweeking could make something useful.

Chemist: Though could be useful, they would suffer from a lack of abilities. A Chemist would focus on the use of items. Just about every item they could use is already in-game, and making a way to create these items faster would (could) break a lot of items. Everyone would level Chemist just to make items and sell them, making it more of a merchant than a new job. They could make items that they alone can use, but when it's just an ex version of most items already in-game, it's kind of pointless. On the other hand, they could get more use out of items than others, but that could really be turned into a single job trait. They get one job trait, no job abilities, and use items already in-game. Though they could be useful, they don't have enough abilities (or options) at their disposal.

Mimic: Once again, they suffer from a lack of abilities. They have one: mimic. This could also break the game to a degree, because in one job you now have all jobs. You need 6 BLMs for something? Get one and 5 mimics, Need more tanks? Get one and a bunch of mimics. Dumbing it down makes them essentially useless, since they don't suffer from being overpowered, but from being too multi-task... able. Maybe they could mimic enemies? Well, then it's pretty much a BST or a BLU.

Calculator: If memory serves, essentially a BLM with no MP, but can only use abilities based on an enemy's stats. Seeing as we don't have the enemy's stats, that makes things kind of tricky. If we do get their stats, we'll get in a horde of players that can do the crazy calculations necessary, and now we have an army of BLMS with infinite MP. Doubtful.

In the end, shooting down ideas is easy, coming up with ones that work and can be well-implemented is the hard part. Of these, I like to think Time-mage and Geomancer are the most likely to be implemented. Dancer would essentially be an offensive BRD. Kind of a cross between BRD, COR and RDM. I can see it. We all need more buff jobs like that, but a dancer in the war-time era of the Crystal Wars? Nope, not gonna happen. (As much as it saddens me to say.)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

To be honest, all they have to do is implemen thet Necromancer from FFVa using FFXI's mechanics, and I think PUP mostly came from Gadeteerr or whatever it was called.

Though, I don't want to see another "tool" user, because this community just plain and simple, can't handle anything new in FFXI, they think everything new has to be insanely expensive.

Geomancer I could see working kinda like mog...a Geomancer/Dancer hybrid.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Akashimo
白眉赤石喪
Forum Member

A real necromancer. Please. Honestly, Norg Pirates are essentitionally those. Summoning skeletons. Even in day light. Just make undead familiars similar to bst in terms of capping out, but call able like summoner while this job insteads of using mp for prep cost use HP. BP's consuming user's MP and HP for a special Neco only tp move or a stanard family move. HP prepulation cost will be 5 hp more at day time than night. Familiars will be more likely to take critical hits and unresist magic during the day or in areas with sunlight.

Skeleton Class - Each being random on what type they are upon being summoned,
Ghoul Familiar
Crossbones Familiar
Draugar Familiar

Ghost Class
Haunt Familiar
Ghost Familiar
Bhoot Familiar

Hound Class
Dog Familiar
Wolf Familiar
Hound Familiar

Shadow Class
Spector Familiar
Shadow Familiar
Hydra Familiar

Fomor Class
Tarutaur Familiar
Elvaan Familiar
Galka Familar
Hume Familiar
Mithra Familar

Doomed Class
Flesh Familar
Toad Familiar
Doom Familar

Corse Class, just Corse Familiar. Qutrub, just Qutrub Familar

That's all i got.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Why the hell do people want necromancer? Why the hell do you want a corpse that's been in the ground for ages to fight at your side?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Sadly, odds are 50:1 that you won't be getting a necromancer. It was said in one interview or another that they wanted to introduce a necromancer in ToAH, but undead only show up at night, as such, you could only really summon things at night. To try and come up with a job that could act much the same 24/7 they gave us PUP. More than likely, that's as close as we're going to get, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
Why the hell do people want necromancer? Why the hell do you want a corpse that's been in the ground for ages to fight at your side?
The same exact reason idiots want to sub /nin on every job.

It's just something they want, and like.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
Akashimo
白眉赤石喪
Forum Member

There are areas where undead can room during day hours. Caverns, Reef area, Dynamis and Pirate Attacks. Its really not that hard to think of a way for this to work within the game dynamics. Just make the origin of the job relate to the Norg Pirates on how they're able to call the undead in broad daylight. Lets not forget our famous NMs are able to do the same whether or not they can or can not be out in the day, its still the same concept.

People want necro probally because they thought Pup was childish and weak, and Drk to emo in many circles. Personaly I want it because, i'd like my own personal Fomor Red Mage to fight for me, she killed me right before i could finish her during a CoP mission after minotaur >_>;
Old 08-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Meh, Necromancer is still a crap job idea. Besides that, look in Dynamis Jueno.

Vanguard Necromancer = Summoner
Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
Akashimo
白眉赤石喪
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
Meh, Necromancer is still a crap job idea. Besides that, look in Dynamis Jueno.

Vanguard Necromancer = Summoner
Lol, wouldn't the necomancer techiniquially be necromanced there? And who's to say smn could get undead smns then? They are heritic mages, hericy against whm > undead :P
Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

I think one big reason that SE doesn't implement Necromancer isn't because it would circumvent(wow i spelled that wrong) any game mechanics, but because a lot of fans might think of it as a steal from WoW. Then there would be endless flaming across the internet and, pending copyrights(though doubtful) a lawsuit made by blizzard.

Also, I think that Time mage could have more than just the haste/slow/stop moves. If they were to implement some of ff12's abilities like Numerology, Traveler, and that other one, it could deal damage as well as debuff. Stop would act like terror, with Stopga being an AoE terror. Also, as mentioned by Wenrick, it could have spells like Warp, which would suggest that though called Time Mage, it could have abilities that have to do with seperate dimensions as well (like the status X-zone from ff12, but it would deal stat based damage instead of actually warping the monster).

Afterthought: Hell, we have all these ideas. We have all these great 3D artists, animators, and texturists. Why don't we just start a game ourselves? Theres enough people here to build one. xD

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents on this :P
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #20
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgie
Afterthought: Hell, we have all these ideas. We have all these great 3D artists, animators, and texturists. Why don't we just start a game ourselves? Theres enough people here to build one. xD
We're all kind of spread out, and I doubt many of us want to move from our families and jobs to a central location and start a new game company in the hopes it will become profitable. I'm all for collaboration, but with us so fractured, I doubt we'd get anything more than the game engine off the ground.

Then again, it would be fun to build a MMO based around the neko-sentai concept. You know; cat-women, nudity, role-playing, an evil naked antagonist, bunny-women, swords, nudity, magic, elf-women, more nudity.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff