Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Default A neko-sentai-based MMO (Update 7-Jun-08)

Fudgie and I have been derailing another thread by throwing this idea around a bit. Other people have shown interest, such as Nakate and Raz. We know a project of this magnitude is a colossal project, nay Behemoth. However, Fudgie and I are not pessimists, and refuse to defeat ourselves by having a negative attitude. I think it would be best to continue this idea and see how far it goes. It may fizzle early, or it may become the next WoW. We will never find out unless we try, and we intend to do just that.

This thread is basically a medium that we will use to discuss the project and come up with ideas. Everyone is welcome to post here, but please be constructive and helpful. If you wish to aid us, feel free.

Now for some info from Fudgie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgie
Last night, I was bored, and my thoughts eventually wandered to this. I started to sketch things like landscapes and monsters, and even started to write a bit and plot on paper ho this could all work. Music ould be synthesised using a program like MAGIX, characters and creatures and objects could be done in 3ds9 and Maya, and for landscapes, etc I found this program called T.Ed (Terrain Aditor) which is a simple-to use program to create landscapes of any size, and the finished product can be exported to a number of formats. RPGXP comes with ruby, or we could use VC++ or another compiler. I have several volumes on programming and creating 3D Games, including one titled "Programming Role Playing Games with Direct X Second Edition." Said book contains instructions to make an online game aswell.
Admittedly, I have come up with ideas as well, though I have only written down one page. I'm doing more of a brainstorm and haven't really made any final decisions on anything. I don't have a lot of experience with programming, so I'd be pretty useless there. However, I am good at conceptualization, storytelling, and I can even compose music.

I would like to see scans of what Fudgie has already come up with. Images often contain the creative spark I need. I have also found that throwing ideas back and forth often generate more ideas, and the cycle feeds on itself. I'd like to do that here as much as possible.

Let me cover some basics:
1) The game is based on the neko-sentai concept. That means that nudity would very much apply. This game would obviously be 18+ only. I take this requirement very seriously. This content is absolutely not for youngsters.

2) Most, if not all the armor, would be sexy in some way or fashion. Not all of the armor would be adult content, for sure, but the standard "no-equip" would be complete nudity. However, there should be a way for you to select whether your character wears underwear when you are not equipped. This is to create variety, as not everyone wants to see complete nudity all of the time.

3) The game should be small at first, and then we can expand from there.

Here's some of my ideas for races:
Note: These are ideas, and would not be indicative of a final product.
Note 2: None of these races would be classified as "furry." Maybe 10% animorph and 90% humanoid.
Note 3: Yes, some of these ideas are borrowed from other sources. I do not wish to steal anything, but coming up with 100% original ideas would take far too much time.
Note 4: All of these races have both genders. I don't want to have the same problems like in FFXI. This isn't to say that all races gender distribution is near 50%. Remember: Mammal populations can still thrive even if the male population is low, but can go extinct if the female population is low. In other words, I think its plausible to have most of the inhabitants of this world be female. A good way to integrate this into the game is to say that the female exhibitionist culture is to encourage promiscuity because pregnancy rates are low. I haven't decided whether I like the idea if inter-racial breeding yet.

Race:
- Humans - Hard to make a game without them. Can be light and dark-skinned. Perhaps even different colors as well. Blue, Green, Red?
- Cat-people - If we're making a game based on neko-sentai these have to be in here.
- Bunny-people - Doesn't have to be Viera, but the same idea applies. Light and dark-skinned may apply.
- Fox-people - Can run with this idea pretty easily. I'd prefer to keep these light-skinned.
- Elf-people - Can't be fantasy without elves, can it? Can be light and dark-skinned.
- Raccoon-people - Sorry for copying this from Nakate, but I kind of like the idea. Would probably be dark-skinned.

I guess that's enough to get started on. Wondering what people have to say.

Last edited by Gulkeeva; 05-16-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
Aoiren
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

wow thatsa sounds like a great idea, I'll play :o
Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 AM   #3
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

looks like a good idea for the forum but I'm gonna have to sit out. It looks like it might just be lots of Cybering >_>

or am I getting the concept of it all wrong?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

If there's a story/point to it aside from the sex, then I'd probably play it. >_>
Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

People are free to do what they want. But know this: the purpose of this is not to create yet another medium for cybering. That's not my purpose. I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again.

Aesthetics is nothing without a good storyline.

I want the game to be about exploring a new culture, a new world, a new story, and having fun along the way.

I don't think I can be any more clear than that.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

I'm largely a jack-of-all-trades. I like to think I'm quite good (but far from the best) at just about everything from modding (FFXI as well as normal 3d programs like Cinema4D) to story lines, to artwork, to scene planning, to programming. Bound as my hands may be, I'm willing to lend as much as I can to this project, I'm quite fond of the idea.

We have plenty of modders on this site, so making the 3D models shouldn't be any trouble. The animations will be more troublesome, but still no big deal. Between myself, Wenrick, Fudgie, and others, we shouldn't have any trouble writing a glorious storyline. The only real problem I see is coding the engine. I would recommend VC++, as though RPGMakerXP does have much potential, the one thing it cannot do is 3D (well, with enough altering of the code it may be able to, but I'll be damned if I'm going to try it), which I think would be a necessity. In messing with RPGMaker, however, I've learned how a game is setup to be programmed, and have a relatively good idea what will be called when, what needs to be in each function/class, etc. However, the actual drawing of 3D models still baffles me. On the bright side, C++ is my specialty, at least a hell of a lot moreso than Ruby, which is what RPGMaker is coded in, so there would probably be a lot less grasping at straws to do simple things.

As far as the game itself is concerned, I think something along the lines of FFXI would be a good idea. At least a similar engine, and make it an MMO. Create a world to run around in, with a big storyline, sidequests, etc. We should put a lot of effort into that storyline so that it's the main pull of the game. At the same time, I think we should make an attempt to discourage cybering. It can not be avoided in a game where everyone's naked, but make general rules, like make harassing someone about it a bannable offense. (This kind of goes without saying, since harassment is generally a bannable offense.) And make it so the actual character animations, though sexy/revealing/nude, would not be animations used for sex. They would be casual animations, they would just happen to be nude (hell, maybe even wet) while doing it. I think that should pull a bit away from cybering, so it isn't the main reason people play.

I like Wenrick's ideas. Characters shouldn't be overly furry. How furry some races are should only go as far as the viera or mithras go. I also like the race ideas. The only thing I would add is, as most MMOs do, we need a race that's not a hair away from humanoid. FFXI has tarus and galkas, WoW has dwarves, gnomes, orcs, tauren, and trolls. Not that we should go that far, but I think we need a slightly less humanoid race as well.

I also would like to see what Fudgie has come up with, and would be happy to start brainstorming a storyline as soon as we know the general setting, time, and setup. Brainstorming a storyline aside, I think the first thing we need to do is make a simple game engine, and get it setup so various people can log onto the game. Make the bare minimum actual game, just worry about the engine. So this would mean a default character, no customization (yet) and one zone, say a grassy field, not to complex, with a couple very weak enemies running around to test the battle system on.

One last thing. Seeing as it would be a MMO, there's kind of a default battle-system we have to go with. However, personally I would like a rather new innovative system (at least among MMOs). I'm not sure how well it could be done, or if at all, but I would like to use random battles and an actual battle-mode where you get whisked away to another plane. Much like traditional RPGs, where your character doesn't move except when attacking. I can kind of see how it would work. The party itself would get in a random battle, and only characters in that zone participate. If someone outside the zone enters the zone, they're pulled into the battle as well. Something like FF7 would work, with an ATB gauge that determines when you can attack. Each character would control only themselves, and multiple people can attack at the same time, so you wouldn't be waiting on another party member to attack if your gauge is full. This is just an idea though. Something I personally would like, but is far from needing to be used, take it with a grain of salt.

Here's looking forward to seeing what we can do.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I Might join but then again just about everyone here hates me =\ specialy Wenrick.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Ferris
Forum Member

I'll join in this project, if you want. I'm a good writer, and as far as role-playing writings go, I've got quite a hand at it.

My contact details are in my profile, if you care to give me a nudge, or you can just PM me.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Rina Refine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuuri
I Might join but then again just about everyone here hates me =\ specialy Wenrick.
for a game it's actually better if some ppl hate others cuz then it would end up going no where~
u can be the head of a kingdom or something.
players would have to have a place to come from~
like the Principality of Gulkeeva, Republic of Wenrick, and Grand Dutchy of Coordykins or something~
so that way we can use ppl's hate against u.

it would be fun if there was a grouping system like if myhtago and chakrila was in the same PT against me they get a + enchant from group hatred or something~
or like a certain bonus when ur with a person who decide as "partner"~
but actually it wouldnt work cuz everyone would get weakened when going against gulky XP

Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Okay, we've pretty much established that we need a core engine built. If a few of you coders can put your heads together, I think we can have a basic one done soon. I just regret that I have no experience in this regard and am unable to lend any aid.

I have an idea about how to do storylines and such. We could break it down into quests and missions, similar to FFXI. The difference, however, would be that quests wouldn't be quite as simple as they are in FFXI. In fact, I think quests should be as long, if not longer than missions. There would be fewer of them, of course, but they would hopefully be interesting and fun, and could range from humorous, to dangerous, to thought-provoking.

Here's some more ideas:

Quest 1 (Dangerous example): Receive quest from a prominent figurehead, such as the captain of the guard. He would explain about his former captain and the mystery surrounding his disappearance. After agreeing to investigate further, you could go to certain NPC's for him, and these NPC's would explain more about the disappearance of the former captain. After three or four cutscenes, you return to the current captain and relay what you have found. When you return a day later, the captain has done some of his own research and asks for your help with gathering intel outside the city. After venturing outside the city and speaking with 3 or 4 different NPC's more of the story is revealed. One last visit with the captain back inside the city reveals that he wants you and a party to help him defeat those who hold the former captain captive. I imagine this as a BC-style battle. After the battle, the final cutscene concludes the story.

Quest 2 (Humorous example): A NPC (Female#1) wishes you to help her win the heart of another NPC (Male#2), and asks you to aid her in this. After agreeing to the quest, you do as instructed, but after interacting with the love interest, your actions end up causing him to become infatuated with the wrong NPC (Female#3). After returning to the quest giver, you find out she's not angry at you, but she is distraught and asks you to do something else for her. After doing as she instructs, Female#3 ends up ignoring Male#2 and instead becomes infatuated with the original quest giver, essentially creating a love triangle that despite your best intentions, ends up spiraling out of control. With good writing, this should produce hilarious results. Yes, it may sound like an episode from Ranma
Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Wow, quite a big project you guys have come up with. I have a decent amount of programming experience and wouldn't mind lending a hand. I've worked on my own small RPG written in VB.net and have a good understanding on what the engine would have and how it would work. I don't know that much about the VC++ language, but I'm familiar with a lot of programming concepts. I'm also willing and able to help troubleshoot programming problems or errors with anyone else working on it.
As for character moddeling, well, you know how good I am with the FFXI mods I've done before. I can help with that as well as maybe working on the motions.
Send me PM's here when you want to contact me. :wink:
Old 08-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,414 Times in 3,368 Posts

Seems pretty interesting, and a very large project. First thing I was thinking of was a soorta game of people modeled from the boards into the game you interact with soorta haha

I'm not really good with any programming stuff so can't really help in that area ;/
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinaxrina
Quote:
for a game it's actually better if some ppl hate others cuz then it would end up going no where~
like the Principality of Gulkeeva, Republic of Wenrick, and Grand Dutchy of Coordykins or something~

it would be fun if there was a grouping system like if myhtago and chakrila was in the same PT against me they get a + enchant from group hatred or something~
but actually it wouldnt work cuz everyone would get weakened when going against gulky XP
The only time I see what that kid says is when someone else quotes him.

I agree that we should have multiple nations and could include a variety of international relations. Such as ...

- Bickering amongst themselves, but not at full out war.
- All out war.
- One or two, or all three allied together in some way.
- All three having "closed borders" and not allowing visitors, nor trade from other nations.
- Any combination of the four.

But we need to get a game engine built first.

I'm not a fan of PvP, so I discourage such, but I'm not throwing out the idea completely.

Having a system of advantages and disadvantages would be interesting. I like the idea of having one or two race-specific abilities, and one or two race-specific bonuses. These would be in addition to the obvious job-specific abilities and bonuses. I don't want to get too close to D&D here, but I must admit some of the concepts would be a good idea to implement.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Personally I'd like to have a PVP aspect in the game, but it should be very realistic. For example, people can be attacked anywhere, but if it's in any controlled area such as a city, fort, encampment, etc. guards would intervene and most likely instantly slay the attacker. The victim would then be instantly healed by the guards. As one goes further into the wilderness forts, encampments, and patrols become scarce, the monsters harder. Players can challenge each other to PVP in the more secure areas by challenging each other to duels. Duels are recognized and refereed by the city guard, as such the loser is instantly revived upon losing.

Anyway I could think up some class and job concepts, as well as possibly expand upon the races.

For the stat system: Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence are the big 3. It's probably possible to just get away with those, maybe add in Charisma if you want more extensive NPC interaction and more class depth.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
nitsuryko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i wouldn't mind being a GM for the game (when you finally make it) if you needed any to help with the community's problems and stuffs, like if they get stuck or something, etc.
i wanted to be one for SE but i dunno japanese too well =(

i'm very patient, calm, and understanding ^^
i've been playing MMOs for like 9 - 10 years now so i know how they work quite well :3
i have been playing and taking apart computers almost all my life which is about close to 20 years of fiddling around with computer stuffs, and was also video game tester for about a year and a half too
i'm a people person =)

i'll try to help with ideas when i have more time too :S i'll get back to this topic =) i look forward to the game ^^
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
Rina Refine

um... i know it hasnt started or anything but...
since there wont be frisky meow-meow time, can there be at least a thing where u can buy sticky milk to pour onto ppl? plz? >_<

Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick
Quote:
Quote:

The only time I see what that kid says is when someone else quotes him.

I agree that we should have multiple nations and could include a variety of international relations. Such as ...

- Bickering amongst themselves, but not at full out war.
- All out war.
- One or two, or all three allied together in some way.
- All three having "closed borders" and not allowing visitors, nor trade from other nations.
- Any combination of the four.

But we need to get a game engine built first.

I'm not a fan of PvP, so I discourage such, but I'm not throwing out the idea completely.

Having a system of advantages and disadvantages would be interesting. I like the idea of having one or two race-specific abilities, and one or two race-specific bonuses. These would be in addition to the obvious job-specific abilities and bonuses. I don't want to get too close to D&D here, but I must admit some of the concepts would be a good idea to implement.
then I guess my theroy is correct, that or you have me on ignore. and I am no Kid good sir. for reasons you lead to belive so I do not know.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
Ferris
Forum Member

*insert ignore for off-topic emo crying here*

But seriously. If you guys want my help for anything not program related, gimme a shout somewhere.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #19
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
um... i know it hasnt started or anything but...
since there wont be frisky meow-meow time, can there be at least a thing where u can buy sticky milk to pour onto ppl? plz? >_<
I would approve of this addition.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #20
Nakate
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

I tihnk the main storyline should be somewhat less mission-based. It would be like how the CoP storyline is layed out. Quests, on the other hand, I agree with Wenrick. Instead of small, quick quests, make them all drawn out, and give each one it's own unique storyline.

As far as the races go, adding the oddball races is probably a bad idea. If we do something like Phantasy Star Online, where you can change your characters height and size to extreme degrees, would easily make up for that. The only real reason I suggested it in the first place is for diversity. It would look a bit odd to have a sea of people, though different races, still look all much the same size and height.

I know generally what would need to be done to write the engine, and though I know a great deal of C++, VC++ still confuses me a bit, not to mention making the actual graphics for a game, especially a 3D one, completely baffle me. Regardless, I'd hate to see a project like this go to waste. While we wait for someone to come along with the knowledge of how to actually make an engine like this, I'll start reading up on how it would be done. I imagine eventually I'll be able to make an engine like what we need.

Sadly, this is going to be the slow part of the project. Writing a game engine for any kind of game takes a great deal of time. This is why many game companies use existing engines, or modify existing engines. If we're going to make one from scratch, I expect us to be waiting a long time with little to actually see. Once the engine gets made, however, everything should start progressing at a reasonable pace, with tangible rewards of sorts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions