Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Default new SE MMO

Nothing to groundbreaking in terms of news on this, but they officially announced it will run on the White Engine. (FFXIII engine) Since this game is going to be cross-platform.. makes it intresting :O Thought they were going to keep this new engine as PS3 onry, guess I was wrong. o.o Wonder if it will be a continuation of FFXI but with all the old problems corrected >.> that would rule D=
Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Genoa
Forum Member

Default Re: new SE MMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer05um
Nothing to groundbreaking in terms of news on this, but they officially announced it will run on the White Engine. (FFXIII engine) Since this game is going to be cross-platform.. makes it intresting :O Thought they were going to keep this new engine as PS3 onry, guess I was wrong. o.o Wonder if it will be a continuation of FFXI but with all the old problems corrected >.> that would rule D=
I had read in a press release that SE does not intend to make this another Final Fantasy game, but they do however plan to create it in a previous FF world. That's about as much info as they've leaked out right now. We can only guess at which world they choose.

The way I see it, it'd be either IX or Tactics/XII, seeing as those two have a variety of races to pick from. I just really really hope it doesn't become based around more FFVII crap. ><
Old 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Well, from what my friend said the new SE MMO will be more similar to FFTA/FFXII.

As long as they don't screw it up as bad as they did FFXI then I won't care.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Vorn
A Bit of a Gigglepuss
Forum Member

Terrific. All the manthras will roll viera and just carry on as before...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Mithra > Viera >.>
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
aidenraine
Taru Eater
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
Mithra > Viera >.>
QFT >.>
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Viera' look gross to me, dunno what it is about them (other then the obvious ear problem)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

1) Not everyone shares that opinion. In my opinion, FFTA Viera > Mithra > FF12 Viera. If the rumors are indeed true, I sincerely hope they make it more FFTA.

2) Of all the worlds that SquareEnix has created, I like Ivalice the best. And I think it would be awesome if the rumors are true. My dream is that they take most of their inspiration from FFTA instead of FF12, because in my opinion its better suited to be turned into a MMO.

3) I must say that as horrible as FFTA was, the artwork was astoundingly amazing. The Nu Mou in FFTA were cool, and the Nu Mou in FF12 were absolutely pathetic. The Viera in FFTA were gorgeous. The Viera in FF12 were unattractive, save for a few. I must say that the Bangaa and the Moogles were about the same in both games. I was disappointed that there were no Bangaa, Moogles, or Nu Mou as playable characters in FF12. Still, the game was very good.

4) I like numbering my points.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I will admit Wenrick, Viera in FFTA were pretty cute, but those cat ears on a mithra are impossible to resist >.>
Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
Deruka
The perv's perv
Forum Member

*flicks ears*
i prefer my tail honestly
but i doubt we'll be seeing any viera even if it is in FFTA's world, because that would make it a FF, and as Genoa said, it is intended to not be another one
if there are goiong to be any of their previous races, they'll be new incarnations of them
Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #11
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

No, ears are cuter since mithra purr when you scratch behind them :P
Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

To me the following statement seems like a contradiction: "SE does not intend to make this another Final Fantasy game, but they do however plan to create it in a previous FF world."

Call it splitting hairs, but how can you use a previous FF world and have it not be a FF game? Use whatever title you want, but if its in an old FF world, its still based on FF. "The World of Ivalice," is still a Final Fantasy game, maybe just not one of the numbered ones.

The rumor could be false. It could be true. We don't know. All I'm saying is that said statement doesn't reveal anything because of its cryptic nature and ambiguous tone.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Vorn
A Bit of a Gigglepuss
Forum Member

Strictly speaking, one of the big problems with making a MMO in Ivalice is the races. People who play online games are notoriously shallow when it comes to their characters. Just look at FFXI's polls on character model percentages. If you make a game in the FFTA world you're going to have 50% Viera, 40% Human, 7% Moogles ("kawaii" :P ), and 1 1/2% each for Bangaa and Nu Mou. Sure, everybody thinks Nu Mou are cool and Bangaa rock... when they're NPCs or someone else plays them.

The only way to really get people to play the "unpopular" races is to make it so that only those races can effectively play certain "needed" jobs. Then people will play them and whine the whole time about how ugly their character is. The people that STILL won't play them will whine about how unfair it is that only Bangaa can be, oh, say Defenders for the sake of continuity. And those people playing popular races will STILL outnumber the unpopular ones. The result is most people will be Viera Assassins. SE will instantly solve this problem by nerfing the Assassin job. Vast outcries of rage will ensue...

It's the ciiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiiife...!
Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Oh come on. You're throwing the game under the bus when it hasn't even been built yet.

And I really don't think those percentages are anywhere near accurate. The most popular race in FFXI is humes, followed by Elvaan, then Mithra. We can pretty much guess that the distribution in an Ivalice world would be Humes first, then the rest is debatable, but I really don't think that Viera would be first or even second highest. Even on this board, Viera aren't anywhere near as popular as Mithra, so there's no reason to think that the majority would be Viera.

Then again, I have been known to be wrong.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorn
Strictly speaking, one of the big problems with making a MMO in Ivalice is the races. People who play online games are notoriously shallow when it comes to their characters. Just look at FFXI's polls on character model percentages. If you make a game in the FFTA world you're going to have 50% Viera, 40% Human, 7% Moogles ("kawaii" :P ), and 1 1/2% each for Bangaa and Nu Mou. Sure, everybody thinks Nu Mou are cool and Bangaa rock... when they're NPCs or someone else plays them.

The only way to really get people to play the "unpopular" races is to make it so that only those races can effectively play certain "needed" jobs. Then people will play them and whine the whole time about how ugly their character is. The people that STILL won't play them will whine about how unfair it is that only Bangaa can be, oh, say Defenders for the sake of continuity. And those people playing popular races will STILL outnumber the unpopular ones. The result is most people will be Viera Assassins. SE will instantly solve this problem by nerfing the Assassin job. Vast outcries of rage will ensue...

It's the ciiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiiife...!
I really don't give a shit about stats, I play what race/job combo I like. In most cases Human Paladin :3
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
SamuiFuyu
The Wind Dragon
Forum Member

I'm one of the few people (Or so it seems) that disliked FFXII. An MMO made around that world would bore me to death. They would need something incredibly fun about it to draw me in.
I also didn't care for Tactics Advance. The original Tactics on the other hand. Was one of the greatest games ever.

Looking back on all of the past FF's. The only ones I can see being MMO'ed is TA and 12 due to races. I don't know of an MMORPG out there that dosn't have more then one race.
And no other FF's really posses multiples.

RedXIII, Mog, and Umaro are all the come to mind.

That all aside. I'd rather see a new, original idea for the next SE MMORPG. I'd hope they learned from all the bad stuff in FFXI. And avoid it in the future.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
Vorn
A Bit of a Gigglepuss
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick
Oh come on. You're throwing the game under the bus when it hasn't even been built yet.

And I really don't think those percentages are anywhere near accurate. The most popular race in FFXI is humes, followed by Elvaan, then Mithra. We can pretty much guess that the distribution in an Ivalice world would be Humes first, then the rest is debatable, but I really don't think that Viera would be first or even second highest. Even on this board, Viera aren't anywhere near as popular as Mithra, so there's no reason to think that the majority would be Viera.

Then again, I have been known to be wrong.
You're being too literal. I was exaggerating sarcastically with the percentages to get a point across. I do, however, think that Viera would be first or second most popular due to their looks, i.e. all female humanoids. I have no idea what they looked like in FFXII as I've never played it. Fran looked mighty good to me, though and a number of you already said you liked how they looked in FFTA.

Come now, be honest... how many people in MMOs have you met that purposely chose the "ugly" characters? How many people in Lineage II play male dwarves? How many more people in WoW play Alliance rather than Horde because Horde races are "ugly"? How many more people in FFXI play Hume, Elvaan, and Mithra rather than Galka? With that trend do you really think people will flock to play a Nu Mou unless they make them Taru-like in their overwhelming magical ability? There's always people who don't care what their character looks like, or chose a race BECAUSE it was different, but they're ALWAYS vastly outnumbered by people who want their character to "look cool."

Corrderio, my friend, you'll never be one of the mindless sheep. Be proud. ( '.')b

I haven't thrown the idea of a Ivalice based MMO under anything yet. They could make it the coolest thing on the planet. I'm just making a point about the people who play MMOs in general and the problems inherent in making a game using the races from FFTA. I'm also making a point as to how SE has handled "problems" in FFXI in the past. I'm simply being realistic about it, not a downer. After all, I play a Hume in FFXI still, myself. /shrug
Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #18
Rina Refine

um... it isnt impossible to have a MMORPG with onli once race because of jobs u know...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
garath
Miqo'te Enthusiast
Forum Member

Tumblr: garath79

I think the biggest concern with this new MMO at the outset is that SE fixes all the problems that FFXI had & still has, then focus on what the char models are gonna look like. Personaly I'd like to see something new and orginal on the scale myself & maybe take a page from WoW and let the people play both sides it would make for a more interesting game, but all in all it'll end up being the samething in the end a race for gear and measuring your epeen against some other ass hat while some lvl 10 just started and can't get a pt cause everyone else is already lvl 75 or 80 or w/e and standing in the main city acting all big and bad realizing wait WTF am I doing now that I got all the gear I want :roll: So in retrospect the female char models better be hot cause about the only thing that's gonna hold my interest in the end is modding the .DATs call me a perv if you want lol but honestly modding has been the only thing that's kept my interest in ffxi for the last year I just wish I could use VRS to contribute to the great work done here.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I wouldn't mind if the characters looked FF9ish, sorta like how they do on Fantasy Earth: Zero.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff