Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
ZDST
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default So...I'm a switcher...

For about a month...I was playing FFXI...I liked it and all, however, I decided to try out Wow and I am deciding to stick with it..here are a list of things I currently will miss, and not miss, from both sides...

FFXI...
I will miss:
Your kickass battle system.(Sorry, but I like NOT having to have the same old skill slots, Menus FTW!)
Nobuo uematsu's music.
The nice graphics.
Mithras.(No explanation needed.)
Tarus.(Taru X Galka Hentai FTW!)
The ability to have a character that does any job.
The nice areas to explore. ( I spent HOURS just walking around gustaberg)
And having an actual plot in an MMORPG.
And gamepad use.

What I will not miss is:
$1 extra per character.
The god forsaken difficulty.
The lack of RPers.
The not so well inspired areas (I'm sorry, but the areas look kinda boring as compaed to FFXI.)
And the horde of half empty servers.

Now wow...
What I like about you is
The nice, large, and SEAMLESS world.
The Roleplaying servers.
The fact that opposing nations ACTUALLY OPPOSE EACHOTHER.
The nice areas to explore

What I would have to dim the lights in order to have sex with you are:
The bad graphics.
The boring looking attacks.
The boring quests.
The fact that all of the RPservers wre filled with non-Rpers.
The lack of Mithras.
The fact that my character, even as a mage, looks like he worked out 3 hours on bowflex, 7 days a week for only $20 a month, plus a free DVD included.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I'm surprised you didn't mention endgame about the FF11 cons.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well, both games have their pros and cons. What I like about FFXI is that you can use one character to achieve everything (outside of having every craft at 100.) What I disliked about WoW was that I had to create a brand new character just to play a different job. FFXI to me makes me feel more like a permanent member of the community by letting me use a single character for everything.

Incidentally, one of my other issues with WoW was that is was too easy, and the idea that a character can get level 60 in under a week just soured me to it.

However, if I had gone into college at the same time FFXI came out, I would have probably quit it for WoW, because it really does just take far too much time and is too inflexible with that time for some things.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I will switch too, but to Age of Conan. Not that WoW junk.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

Quote:
(I'm sorry, but the areas look kinda boring as compaed to FFXI.)
I'm assuming this is a typo, did you mean to say as compared to WoW?

Quote:
FFXI to me makes me feel more like a permanent member of the community by letting me use a single character for everything.
This is both a good and bad thing about FFXI. It's like you're playing a non-linear RPG with a real time faction system. What decisions you make early on can dramatically effect you in the future. Let me share a little story with you all.

When I was in my lower 20s on my first job, I had this really bad party in Qufim Island. Being the type of player I am I always try to keep my parties together if I'm the leader, by finding adequate replacements when someone leaves. So anyway someone left the group and I invited this girl to replace him, I think she was a summoner. Before she gets there, my party did something stupid that got us all killed, which really pissed me off. I decided to leave the group because they were already being dumb. Apparently, this REALLY that summoner girl off so she sends me /tells going WTF U NEWB blah blah yada yada or something of the nature. I told her STFU BITCH because I was already mad. ... So anyway several months later when I reach endgame on my new job, I applied to join this new HNMLS my friend told me about. They were just starting out and needed bards. Turns out, that summoner girl from Qufim Island was one of the leaders, second in command as a matter of fact. I didn't even remember her until the shell holder reminded me. He said she's still mad at me for what I did back then and wanted a personal apology. I was like OMG I don't even remember that shit and she's been holding a grudge against me the whole time? So I gave her an apology and they let me into the guild. Talk about irony, all that drama caused by one little accident that happened a lifetime ago. There were other situations similar to this, one of them even made me laugh so hard I got tears in my eyes.

Stuff like that never happens in WoW, at least not to me. Everyone is a newblet at some point. And FFXI made it so easy to make one little mistake that could permanently ruin your reputation. Thats why I think its more beneficial to have multiple characters. =x
Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

WoW and FFXI both have wonderful scenerie.. anyways

I can't wait for age of conan X"D its gonna leave FFXI and WoW in the dust when it comes to

1.Sexy females
2. Scenerie
3. Gameplay
4. Awesomeness

XP
Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

can anyone show me a decent video of age of conan cus i'm looking at some on youtube and from what i'm seeing it looks bad
Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 AM   #8
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

WoW's graphic's look too cartoonish to me...

But on the other hand... it can't feel like a 2nd job where you get jack shit until you kiss enough ass like FFXI does.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
Gredival
Mishneh L'melech
Forum Member

In both games' end games, everyone trying to run the same raids to kill and attain the best newest shit. The core difference between the games is the speed at which these raids get replaced. It's the same formula but the different methodology SE and Blizzard employ in regards ti implementing new content in relation to old content changes the experience of the game in and of itself.

WoW vs. FFXI is basically a battle of lots of new content vs. linear progression. And in my opinion, FFXI's approach to end game is one of its biggest benefits against WoW; but that comes down to preference.

In FFXI you make progress. I don't deny it can be hard nor that it can get (excessively) repetitive. But the fact is you make traction in FFXI when you move up. The Defending Ring has been out since Zilart was released. It's excessively rare. But if you get that ring, you just became that much better of a tank until you quit. FFXI has less content to do, but it's harder to conquer.

In WoW on the other hand, if you just wait long enough, everything you currently want now will either be replaced by something new, or it become ridiculously easy to obtain. In WoW you could have had the *best* gear in the game before Burning Crusade came out, and had all that sweat and blood replaced by stuff that dropped off XP mobs. And if your stuff was still better, it was only barely better and hardly worth all your raiding.

If you're playing for something to do, to fight new stuff, get new dungeons, etc. then WoW wins. Blizzard is great at churning out new content very fast. Eventually because of the way things progress, most players will be able to experience most everything in the game; even the hardest things in the game now will become instantly easy once the level cap is raised. However you should note that most players end up not experiencing that content. Once it gets easy, it also has no rewards. Few will want to do it due to the quality of the rewards.

FFXI's progression is much slower and it's much more linear. Some stuff gets easier as the game goes on. Kirin is nothing today compared to what he was back when Zilart first came out. Back then people had to run him out of mana in order to take him down. This is because of things like the addition of the merit system, new jobs, and access to better "normal quality" equipment (for example, the Pahluwan gear replaced the Scorpion Harness for many people).

But most people can't skip Sky even though it's so easy like people in WoW can skip Onyxia. Because top level gear in FFXI doesn't get replaced much, new people still need to run Sky raids for Byakko Haidate, or Crimson Cuisses, or Shura Togis. So while total content in FFXI is less, FFXI still has a LOT to do in it because everyone's gotta go from ground up. ToaU had an insane amount of content too relative to Zilart and CoP. But still there's so much to do in FFXI still that I don't engage in ToaU content at all. Nada, zip, nothing, zero.

So when you accomplish something in FFXI's it's much more important to your character than anything in WoW. You can take the rarest item in WoW today (Illidan's Moonblades I'm guessing, although I don't know if that got replaced too) and as soon as the Wrath of the Lich King is out, they're going to go from ZOMGPWN to nothing, and no one's gonna care about running Illidan anymore.

Also it's worth nothing that a lot of FFXI content is a zero-sum. And as base as it sounds, I think for a lot of people (myself included) the competition is part of the fun.

Recreational sports wouldn't be very entertaining if it was just seeing people run around doing stuff. For example, who would pay to see Kobe Bryant just do lay ups for an hour, then go pay and see Shaq dunk for an hour. What makes basketball interesting is the competition. We watch to see the teams compete against each other, not simply to see individual players reach certain goals.

Since your accomplishments preclude others from accomplishing goals, it does make reaching your bigger of an accomplishment. Winning the Fafnir claim is like winning a basketball game. Comparatively in WoW, you run raids isolated from other people. It's about what you do, not about what's going on in the world. Plus whenever a new expansion comes out basically everyone gets reset to ground 0 and the playing field levels.

For me, FFXI more accurately transcribes the RPG experience I like. You follow a progression of (hopefully) well designed encounter situations, and as you accomplish these encounters they strengthen you and allow you to access the next levels.

To me WoW, especially in the immediate post expansion time period, is more like game sharking yourself to the final dungeon and just grinding through that. My friends in WoW actually complained that this expansive, really well designed instance released right before Burning Crusade was a real let down because it became obsolete after BC. Running through it was amazing, but in the end pointless after the new BC instances were released. They only did a partial run once, and never went back. It just seems so wasteful that such content will never be experienced cause it's obsolete.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
LadyPeorth
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Both MMOs involve people.

In FFXI, you spend 4 hours with six people killing baddies over and over to move up one level. When you level up in FFXI and see those graphics, it feels like you really earned it.

In WoW, you can level up in roughly one hour of solo play...screw other people till you need to worry about instances. Every 2 levels matters cause then you get new spells/abilities.

Both games rotate heavily on people for end game. I prefer FFXI because the friends I have on there are people I've sweated, bled, and grinded to the max level numerous times with.

In WoW, I just join an end game raiding guild and as long as I do my job, I'll get good stuff.

I wish you the best of luck in WoW...I'll still be playing both till I run out of friends on WoW. FFXI feels alot more like an investment.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Actually one of the biggest plus's I saw in WoW was the seamless environment. FFXI would be so awesome if we didn't have to zone all the time.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

its not so fun when you have a horde chase you from stv to ironforge on foot
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
aidenraine
Taru Eater
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barachiel
Actually one of the biggest plus's I saw in WoW was the seamless environment. FFXI would be so awesome if we didn't have to zone all the time.
but what would all the n00bs in valkurm do when they know they're fucked?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Meh, the mobs would just have to be programmed to stop chasing after a certain distance.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #15
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I actually like the zoning thing in FFXI....
Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #16
Claude
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm not bothering with beatiing the dead horse of WoW & FFXI.

This game caught my attention the other day, Aion - The Tower of Eternity.

E3 Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lQZ...elated&search=

Game Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptzBk...elated&search=
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxX9...elated&search=

Some Armor/Emotes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HvfG...elated&search=
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 AM   #17
Gredival
Mishneh L'melech
Forum Member

In order to be able to do a world with so little 'zoning' WoW textures graphics on the spot as you walk around. Blizzard had to reduce the quality of textures to do this though. Blizzard opted for the cartoonized reduced graphics in order to produce the seamless world.

FFXI's graphics are preloaded when you zone. This takes more time and resources, but the result is much higher quality backgrounds and much more detailed sprites.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Exactly. To play FFXI in a 'seamless' environment (You call omgbiglargehuge slopes of rock on every ocean front that isn't a beach seamless? Yes I know their purpose, but they could have done something else, Blizzard just couldn't think of a good one..) on regular graphics would practically destroy your PC when you went on the airship, unless you had the best one out there. You'd have to reduce graphic detail if you had a normal PC to play in some places.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #19
Desi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Re: So...I'm a switcher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDST

FFXI...
I will miss:
Nobuo uematsu's music.
You do know he didn't do much of the music right? It was mainly Parasite Eve guy (Mizuta) and a little of Crystal Chronicles lady. Great people nonetheless.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #20
ZDST
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Alright...now call me a flip flopper...but after playing more of WoW...Irealized that WoW SUCKS....

God damn...at first it seemed cool and all, but I soon realized it's repetitious nature...

So I'm going back to FFXI until Aion comes out (An MMO I've been dying for to come out, as well as XTeel.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions