Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section

Notices

Old 09-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Face question

When you look at this drawing you see the hair that rises from the top of the head and goes all directions, is there a way to do that to this dat or dats in general?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_20070927_153426_125.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	14997   Click image for larger version

Name:	007_106.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	14998  
Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

You can do it but it would take a lot of work. For face 6 everything but the pieces that stick out to the side at the front is part of the base head model. If you move any of those it distorts the head's shape.

In order to get it to look right in texture, you'd have to add a new model and attach that to the head, then go through and put the parts of the hair that are to stick out on that, and give them a new texture based on the original hair. You might be able to do it if you add a bunch of vertices on the back of the head and stretch those outwards... But I don't know, I think it would distort the texture too much.

If anyone does decide to take up this massive project though, I must admit that's the kind of hairstyle I find very attractive. I might actually finally change Saire's hair...
Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I have been fooling with meta for a while now, and cant find the magic make work button. I get the feeling I have to use vrs huh?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
DaKatMan
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

heey u know where the dat for that hair is?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

The face was lost to the sands of time last night I have to start over
And the heccatomb was from ffxidats but I cannot find the link anymore.
Good luck to those who wanted it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I command you to rise from you'r grave! Resurrecting this topic now that I have a little more experience with VRS. I can take two of the face models and combine them together to add a bunch of new vertices and extra material to work with like Saire suggested, but need some advice on how to attach it to the existing head and make it look like hair and not a bad rogaine experiment.

Also if not to hard can this topic be moved to the FFXI Modders Corner if not too hard please?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

You can only add vertices in VRS, and adding them manually can often lead the model to the point where it won't allow you to export it.

To fix this, an easier way would be to combine head models. But there are several things to do on the second face before finishing the combine.

First of all, delete the vertices of the face, so that two faces don't overlap.

Second, on the second model, do something to make the hair different (such as increase the scale so that its slightly bigger), so that the hair doesn't overlap. (If you are combining a head mesh that's different than the original, disregard this.)

Third make sure the hair vertices are all weighted to the skull skeleton piece. (you can always go back and change them later, if desired.

Finally, copy and paste the second mesh into the first, delete the second mesh.

At this point, you can keep the first and second meshes separate by renaming it (by all that's good and holy, don't change the hide values). Or you can keep the existing names. By doing this, when you export in VRS, it will automatically combine them into one mesh. But you won't see this until you start from scratch and import.

Now you have two sets of vertices to work with in Metasequoia.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Surprisingly that made perfect sense.... Now I have a question about skeletal weights. Its as simple as marking down all your first mesh's weights, then after combinding the models set those weights to exactly what the first ones are right? Sorry if this is a stupid simple question. I tried earlier attempt with out your guide and the weights are still just a little off so I want to verify.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Do a multi-select on all the vertices you wish to make uniform (on the second hair mesh), then do "envelope open" and set them all to the skull piece. I'm not sure which it is; you may have to do some experimenting ahead of time to figure out which one it is.

I hope that answers your question.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section