Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Tricking POL into thinking FFXI is installed?

So I just moved and during the trip a box fan hit my pc during rush hour and kind of made my windows drive not very happy. Luckly I have a seperate drive for all my games and videos and junk and all my ffxi play files are still alive and kicking. I reinstalled windows all the drivers and that junk, and downloaded POL from the Sqaure Enix website, but I had all my game disks packed and shipped in a moving truck (which still isint here and its been over a week and I made the trip in 2 days. I think the truck drivers stopped in Las Vegas and gambled all my household goods) but have ffxi on that other drive. Is there a way to trick POL into thinking ffxi IS installed? Or am I doomed to wait another 3 lifetimes for the slow truck drivers to bring my junk?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
darkside
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

No way to "trick" it, your new windows drive is missing all the installation information for FFXI, that get put into the registry, & maybe some system files i dunno. Basically you need to officially reinstall FFXI for it to work.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Of course theres a way to trick it. Theres always a way to manually enter feasible entries into your registry.

However, I wouldn't recommend it as you can screw up some gnarly stuff by futzing around in registry.

Here are the entries for FFXI from my own registry. Install these at your own risk. To install them simply double click the .reg files.

Remember that if anything goes wrong with your system (it wont because I'm not trying to fuck with you) you can just do a system restore from safe mode and it will revert your registry.

Move all of your FFXI folders into the proper PlayOnline folders so it can find the physical files when you run the viewer.

There is a chance this wont work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ffxientries_760.zip (678 Bytes, 41 views)
Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
darkside
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

for one his FFXI location wont match yours. also there's some config entries in POL that change when FFXI is installed, that wont work. Similarly there may or may not be system file changes that wouldnt be incorporated. It is "possible" but every change to every config file & registry & system files would have to be tracked & changed.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
for one his FFXI location wont match yours. also there's some config entries in POL that change when FFXI is installed, that wont work. Similarly there may or may not be system file changes that wouldnt be incorporated. It is "possible" but every change to every config file & registry & system files would have to be tracked & changed.
It will match in registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS\SquareEni x\FinalFantasyXI is where it gets installed to in your registry, regardless of where the game is installed on your disk.

The values may not match entirely, but thats not what it needs. All PlayOnline wants to know is that the game is installed, everything else is dependent on finding the files for the game itself where they should be.

It probably is more effort than its worth, you'd be better off waiting for your CD's to arrive if you can't get the above to work.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Hmm oh well, well at least thanks all for the help. Hopefully they will be here by the end of the week or so.

Edit: Well I took a risk while bored and tried installing those registry files, all I did was double click on them windows said it worked but POL is still saying ffxi is not installed. I called up the moving company friday and said they should be here tuesday so... Im going to cross my fingers. Again thanks for all the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff