Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Anime Stuff

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default It's odd about watching subbed anime

After all this time, I feel like I'm learning Japanese. I can turn away and do other things, but I'm able to follow, recognize, and to a limited point understand what they're saying, though I can't really assign meaning except for the few phrases I've memorized. I wonder, since my brain has become trained in such a way to recognize the speech, how difficult actually learning Japanese would be.

Death Note: Light is gay. Discuss.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,283 Times in 3,327 Posts

first steps understanding it! although reading it would be like " woaaahhh"
Old 10-30-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah, speaking it would be a lot easier than reading it.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

Learning to read Japanese and learning to speak it are two entirely different things in my opinion. Reading will be much more difficult because Kanji is so multidimensional. Speaking can be caught on over time due to familiarity. For example I find myself able to pick out English words in Japanese dialog. That's not much but considering how different it sounds in their tongue warrants some bit of lingual skill. Also I know a few Japanese words and phrases because they've become so common in pop culture.

I really want to go to Japan one day but I doubt I'll ever learn their language. Unless I get lucky and meet a nice Japanese girl who will motivate me to learn it. But ironically I don't like listening to people speak in Japanese, so English ONRY please. Don't ask me why.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Rina Refine

japanese is one of the harder languages to learn.
i think french is another difficult language.
english is probably the easiest language.
and fyi, if u think kanji (chinese characters) are hard, writing/reading chinese is easier, just that in speaking, there's alot of dialects so it would limit you to be in major chinese cities.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Re: It's odd about watching subbed anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barachiel
Um ... what?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
gigan
Captain Garlock
Forum Member

Quote:
agree.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuuri
Quote:
Um ... what?
Watch death note, you'll see what I mean.

Basically Light AKA Kira and Mr. Just as planned has every opportunity to plow Misa, my gothic lolita princess, but instead he "dries" off his male rival L after they stand outside in a raistorm talking. You do not have to have any gaydar to detect the sexual tension between the two in that scene.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
Mattakuevan
Demi-Fiend in the Making
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinaxrina
and fyi, if u think kanji (chinese characters) are hard, writing/reading chinese is easier, just that in speaking, there's alot of dialects so it would limit you to be in major chinese cities.
Not to be mean or anything but I'd dissagree with the english comment. I have quite a few foreign friends and they say English is by far the most difficult language to learn in the world because its basically a shitty language with too many rules. A lot of those rules dont even make real sense.

Anyway ;p
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 AM   #10
Sakuya-san
Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, very much so. Not one, but TWO women he used for stuff OTHER than sex. And i mean come on, Misa practical threw hersel.....wait, she did throw herself on top of the guy.

oh, and about japanese. Speaking is easy but not so easy at the same time. There are alot of words, just like english, that has the same sound but mean two totally different things. Plus there are multiple words that have the same meaning, also just like english. Oh, and about English being the easiest....it's actually proven to be the most complex language in the world.
Every one should just learn and speak the easiest language ever created....Al Bhed.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
Rina Refine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattakuevan
Quote:
Not to be mean or anything but I'd dissagree with the english comment. I have quite a few foreign friends and they say English is by far the most difficult language to learn in the world because its basically a shitty language with too many rules. A lot of those rules dont even make real sense.

Anyway ;p
im foreign... (english is not my first language)

im rina, ur not.
im right, ur wrong~ <3

Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattakuevan
Quote:

Anyway ;p
im foreign... (english is not my first language)

im rina, ur not.
im right, ur wrong~ <3
Does not make him matt wrong. I too have heard from foreign friends that English is kinda hard.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Rina Refine

theyre trying to learn english... of course they're going to say it's hard.
if a person knew no languages at all, they would be able to learn english the fastest.
english is the most orthodox simple language with set ground rules.
all other languages have many special cases in which a word changes, along with different grammar rules.
chinese has little of this, why chinese is more simpler than japanese.
please have more reasoning than what your friends say when you disagree with me.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

English has set ground rules, but it also has a whole bus load of exceptions and special rules, also the thought process is different. Taking French for a few years showed me just how complex of a language English is.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #15
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
theyre trying to learn english... of course they're going to say it's hard.
if a person knew no languages at all, they would be able to learn english the fastest.
english is the most orthodox simple language with set ground rules.
all other languages have many special cases in which a word changes, along with different grammar rules.
chinese has little of this, why chinese is more simpler than japanese.
please have more reasoning than what your friends say when you disagree with me.
Just saying it all depends on the person whos learning it... No need to act superior :roll:
Old 11-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
Jennica
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Quote:

French is super easy for me. I live in Texas so Spanish is a second language here. French, Spanish and Italian are so similar that I can pick out words in almost any convo with those languages. My husband knows quite a bit of Japanese and that, my friend, is F'd up shit. I can only remember a few words then I'm like WTF? lulz
Old 11-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
Lienna
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
After all this time, I feel like I'm learning Japanese. I can turn away and do other things, but I'm able to follow, recognize, and to a limited point understand what they're saying, though I can't really assign meaning except for the few phrases I've memorized. I wonder, since my brain has become trained in such a way to recognize the speech, how difficult actually learning Japanese would be.

Ya Im sort of the same way, I can sort of tell what is going on but it feels like it is on a veyr subconscious level, like there is no way I could translate it to someone or anything like that it just feels like I get what is being said to a point. There are a number of phrases (aside from things like mother/father etc) that I can pick out when listening just wish I knew more but dont have enough time to learn it :(

Oh and in regards to reading, reading japanese is a whole different thing I have a few japanese friends and they said a good point of reference is in order to read the japanese newspaper on a regular basis you must know ~4000 different Kanji. to put that in perspective again, the average japanese child can read a newspaper by 5th-6th grade :)

Anywho *goes back to torrenting shippuden*

PS- english is indeed a difficult language to learn but that is very subjective, for example an english person might say french is hard, but someone who knows italian or spanish already would say english is harder. A german person would say english is hard but if they knew latin as well they would say it was easier than Japanese.. The difficulties comes, not in the words themselves but the exceptions to the rules that govern it. English (and german for example) have a LOT of exceptions to their rules for things like conjugation and words that sound the same but change meanings based on spelling. where in other languages (like german, gaelic, swedish or japanese) actually have completely different pronounciations for each different usage of a word.

That is about as detailed as I can get, been several years since Ive had any formal language classes or I could have gone into more depth on the subject.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #18
Rina Refine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienna

PS- english is indeed a difficult language to learn but that is very subjective, for example an english person might say french is hard, but someone who knows italian or spanish already would say english is harder. A german person would say english is hard but if they knew latin as well they would say it was easier than Japanese.. The difficulties comes, not in the words themselves but the exceptions to the rules that govern it. English (and german for example) have a LOT of exceptions to their rules for things like conjugation and words that sound the same but change meanings based on spelling. where in other languages (like german, gaelic, swedish or japanese) actually have completely different pronounciations for each different usage of a word.

That is about as detailed as I can get, been several years since Ive had any formal language classes or I could have gone into more depth on the subject.
so if ur saying that, all languages are equally hard, and u would be biased too.
and in japanese, for example, hashi can be 9 different things, with so slight of a pronunciation difference, a foreigner couldn't tell.
so i think we should all stop discussing languages and just agree on that the first two posters watch low-quality hentai which were dubbed by english people who learned japanese at a school, not in a enviorment were they forced to learn to survive, and that im very godly at anything i do and you should be shedding tears of happiness just because i wrote something :)
(note: i have to sound very conceited to maintain my character and hide my delic... nvm...)

Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
Murrr
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

90% of the english i learned, i leared from videogames and movies <.> (special thanks to cartoon network)

so yea, its easy...

I dont think you can learn Japanese like that, believe me, i tryed :P

but! i do not think Japanese is as hard to learn, as i thought it is a few years ago.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #20
Lienna
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienna

so if ur saying that, all languages are equally hard, and u would be biased too.
and in japanese, for example, hashi can be 9 different things, with so slight of a pronunciation difference, a foreigner couldn't tell.
so i think we should all stop discussing languages and just agree on that the first two posters watch low-quality hentai which were dubbed by english people who learned japanese at a school, not in a enviorment were they forced to learn to survive, and that im very godly at anything i do and you should be shedding tears of happiness just because i wrote something :)
(note: i have to sound very conceited to maintain my character and hide my delic... nvm...)
Eh no that isnt right based on the examples I gave but I dont feel like explaining it again. however I do agree with your conclusion that the initial posters are watching low quality stuff revealed by the use of poor dubbing/subbing qualities.

PS - most of the japanese I know is from anime/games/movies hehe..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Anime Stuff