Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Game Performance

I got my new comp working properly and FFXI is installed and updated, but it runs like crap, and I don't know why. My computer far exceeds the sytem requirements, but the game runs worse than my PS2. Does anyone know how I could possibly fix this? I wanna be able to play it on this comp before the expansion comes out, so I know what to buy it for >.<

If I can't get the game to run well, I'll be stuck buying WotG for my PS2 nd pray that I can actually get the stupid thing to read the disc... =\
Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
thekittenofterra
Forum Member

System specs?

Additionally, turn down the graphics and it might help too...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,587 Times in 3,421 Posts

FFXi requires mainly CPU/memory to be running with a "decent" video card. Make sure you don't have alot stuff running that could eatup memory/cpu power
Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Twitter: Kanikou

Also if you're using vista that could be a problem for some system sources.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm gonna guess it's mainly a Vista issue, I haven't been running any other programs at all with FFXI when I try it, and it's a new comp, got it only a few weeks ago

As for specs...

Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.13GHz
2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM, only running 1GB now though since one stick was faulty
256MB Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
320 GB haddrive

Now I KNOW that my comp exceeds the requirements, even half my RAM is double th recommended requirement.

But it is stuck running Vista, and I don't have a copy of XP to replace it with.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Akumamoto
Regular Forum User
Doujin Team

Yeah, Vista processes files not only slower, but the interface and especially Aero in general take up a large amount of RAM. The concepts are nice, but Vista needs some major tweaking. Switching off the Aero theme and extra file transfer protection frees up a decent chunk and allows more speed. It's funny how newer laptops customers complain about the battery life when it's Aero eating the battery all up. As of the moment, Windows XP is the faster and most reliable OS of the bunch. MS makes you think you have a better PC for the price on RAM, but Vista needs 1GB RAM to run decent.

Only downside with loading up Windows XP on a new Vista PC is that not all the newer hardware is made for compatibility with Windows XP as far as drivers go. You'd either have to hope that the Vista drivers for the hardware are downward compatible or to download a driver from the manufacturer's homesite that made the PC (if available) that allows it compatibility.

I'm not sure about this, but I'd aim at 4GB+ RAM and 512MB+ Non-onboard Graphics card (AGP or PCI Express if available that your unit has) as for minimum on Vista PC's for good gaming results. For many PC's, updating your internal components for better/stronger means you may need to look into a larger power supply.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah, when running vista 2gb ram is pretty much the minimum you want. 4gb is better. If you haven't already you could attempt running FFXI off one core, and put all the other applications on the other core.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Honestly, your main problem is that pre-built systems are usually built with the cheapest components possible with the prettiest sounding specs and they're loaded down with all kinds of "features" to impress PC newbies. What this translates to is a system that's bogged down from the get-go with useless applications that you probably will never use. With a bit of creative searching, I'm sure you could find a copy of XP around your place! :wink:

In all honesty though, just from personal experience, system manufacturers tend to put in fast stuff where people look most often (CPU, memory, graphics card) and then skimp on other stuff. I had a friend once with a Dell with easily better specs than mine at first glance (his 2.4 GHz P4, 256 MB DDR266 system vs my 800 MHz Slot A Athlon, 512 MB PC133 system) and no matter what simple benchmarks we'd run such as boot up time, framerates in games, and such, I'd always come out on top with my "inferior" system. Sadly, even after I reinstalled with a fresh copy of XP (not the bogged down one from Dell), tweaked it, and defragged, it helped a lot but my system still came out ahead. The main difference? Hard drive speed.

FFXI happens to be a very hard drive intensive game. Now, honestly, I don't think it's 100% your problem here, since I don't even think 5400 RPM HDDs are manufactured anymore except for notebooks. I still have my old crappy 7200 RPM HDD and my performance in FFXI is fine. Your graphics card is fine, your CPU is more than adequate, and I'd even go so far as to say your memory could be fine. I think that's your bottleneck, though. As others have said above, disable the pretty stuff in windows and close background applications (virus scanners, all those stupid little programs down near the time that serve no purpose other than to eat up memory). A great place to start is by going to add/remove programs and uninstall anything that you know you don't use and isn't listed as a device driver of some sort (examples from my system: EVGA Display Driver, HP Photosmart 7350 series, Sound Blaster Live!). That should eliminate most of the clutter. I wish I'd used vista before otherwise I'd be able to give you a listing of a whole bunch of services you most likely won't be using and can safely disable and where to disable them.

Short version: reformat and install windows XP. If you absolutely cannot get windows XP, uninstall all the junk on there, disable pretty stuff like themes, and disable virus scanners while playing FFXI.

EDIT: Just for clarification I do NOT play FFXI on that system I listed above. I haven't seen that thing in a good 5 years. That thing would have tanked on FFXI. It did pretty badly with Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights . . .
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
Kayu
Grimmjow Jagger Jacks
Forum Member

how about making your life easier and just install xp....vista is still a TOTAL waste of money.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 AM   #10
xSchiderx
Forum Member

i had similar problems using vista. i upgraded my ram and vid card but to no avail. so, as a last ditch effort i removed vista and started fresh with XP SP2 and now everything runs fine. >.> so.. XP > Vista XD
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayu
how about making your life easier and just install xp....vista is still a TOTAL waste of money.
That doesn't make my life easier unfortunately, since I don't even have a copy of Windows XP.

As for other things, seems like my only option is to remove and disable pretty stuff, since I don't have the money right now to upgrade or buy a copy of XP.

And it's only FFXI that gives me problems, btw. Every other game I've tried and run on it work great, like Half Life 2 and Portal (<3 Portal, I need a weighted companion cube of my own :D )
Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
Fyifo
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

core duo 2 2.8 ghz ,7200 rpm hdd ,ati radeon 1050, 1 ghz ram, i run vista tweaked settings a bit no aero on ever , never have issues with anything ive tried to run since. try shutting aero off and go from there. all else fails google vista tweaks. sorry for spelling and run on very tired :(
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
Kyrika
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

How exactly would I go about disabling Aero? I haven't got a clue >.>;
Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrika
I
2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM, only running 1GB now though since one stick was faulty
That could be alot of your problem, even though I'm not sure how your system is even running because I think it needs them run in pairs.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
Akumamoto
Regular Forum User
Doujin Team

You can run DDR2 with just one stick, but you're definitely not getting the full potential, yes. Dual channel works best as pairs (DDR = Dual Channel RAM--hence dual as in for pairs usage). If you're trying to max out you RAM, for example, and you have 4 slots and max RAM is 4 GB yet you have only (2) 1GB sticks for 2GB's, you'd need to fill the slots on the board as 1, 1, 1, 1, which maxes you out at 4GB.

All newer HDD's tend to be 7200 RPM ATA for desktops now (as stated by djkn) or for what many are going towards, SATA, which is an even faster HDD set up.

To disable the Aero theme, Right-Click on your desktop for a sub menu and select "Personalize". The next screen pops up with some options and you choose the option with "Appearance" in it (been a bit since I've done things with a Vista OS, but I believe it was the top option there). From here, simply change your theme/appearance to let's say... Windows Classic for example which does not use Vista's Aero theme. There are many popular places that give out many Vista tweaks, but that's at your own discretion, although I don't truly think you could hurt anything besides certain system files however, you can just do the regular restore to fix that (not the DESTRUCTIVE RESTORE--you lose data you have on PC).
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

It's not your PC, FFXI simply has a horrible engine and netcode. Intel Core2Duo @2.4Ghz, 2 gigs of DDRAM and a GTX8800 here and at crowded spots I still get 2-10 FPS.
They especially fucked up with ToAU by making huge areas like Whitegate in just 1 zone. They really need to divide that place in 3 zones like Jeuno, Windurst, etc. 500+ people in front of 1 AH or in 1 MH just doesn't work.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanta
It's not your PC, FFXI simply has a horrible engine and netcode. Intel Core2Duo @2.4Ghz, 2 gigs of DDRAM and a GTX8800 here and at crowded spots I still get 2-10 FPS..
This is true, as well. A while back there was a rumor of FFXI being ported to DirectX 9 with the release of WotG. This will be a huge improvement since they'd be optimizing code a bit better for PC. Even if the FPS cap is still 30, I'd like to actually be able to run at 30 FPS in crowded zones. I know my PC can handle it, but their lack of effort in porting to PC really bogs it down. From my understanding, the PC port was essentially a recompile of the PS2 code but for x86 machines with the bare minimum of changes made to actually make it work on PC. I really hope that the DX9 port rumor wasn't false. Not lagging at JoJustice ever again would be wonderful.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #18
Corrderio
Yeah I got nuthin'
Forum Member

I think it's just better to say SE can't program on the PC worth shit.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #19
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

It makes me feel much better to think that they simply were too pressed for time/cheap to make a decent than to say that they couldn't. It's not like we're dealing with Bethesda here. Anyone that's played Daggerfall or Morrowind (PC version, especially) can attest to random crashes for no apparent reason, and frequently. I never got around to playing Oblivion though, so they may have gotten better.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #20
nitsuryko
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i have just about the same computer

intel dual-core 2somethingghz
2g ram blah blah blah
geforce graphics card more blah blah
(don't feel like looking it up lol)

well anyhow i've had some problems with ffxi too and i've done quite a bit of research on the problems i've had

what's causing the problems is the way Vista works, microsoft or whatever changed how the computer utilizes it's memory usage for programs so it will "Run Faster" but however... since the graphics card companies were "NOT" told about this change (note the unprofessionalism of not telling the companies they work with about big changes) and therefore your computer won't be running as good as it should be, infact it is running worse than what your computer is capable of.
(i guess they never heard the phrase "if it works, don't fix it")

check frequently with your graphics card company's website for updates and fixes to the problems you are experiencing, also check out the microsoft help forums thingy questioner, you might find some small fixes there too. it will be quite awhile till they fix all the kinks and bugs that Vista and the graphics card companies are having. i'm upset about it myself, cuz it's stupid. but oh well nothing i can do now but wait for a decent fix for my graphics card.

also if your computer uses sigmatel audio, it will slow down your computer due to some type of problem when playing music/sounds. there's a quick fix for that you can do yourself...
Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Sound
under the playback tab click on your sigmatel audio thingy, the thing with the speaker.
then click properties, then enhancement tab, then make sure the box labled disable all enhancements is checked.
if your game freezes and you're using an LCD monitor i thinky it is (the flatscreen one) then it's your resolution... dun remember too much on that tho, sorry.

other than that it's mainly graphics card + vista problem

i got my ffxi to work just fine, however i still get these little graphics flaws (i'll describe them as invisible see-through triangluar thingies lol) and it's annoying lol i just hope they fix it someday.

well i hope that helps you improve your computers performance a bit, that's about as much as i know on the problem and what to do to try to help fix it.

oh also if i were you i'd make them replace the faulty ram thingy so you can get 2GB of ram again... cuz Vista needs at the MINIMUM 1GB to run, so your computer can barely run windows Vista as it is lol make sure you get that replaced. please note, as stated above your computer may actually be running worse than what your specs say, so you may actually have below the minimum requirements for Vista even tho your computer says you have the requirements and runs it, it won't be running well because of that issue.

just replace that ram thing and check if you have any additional problems, and ffxi should run just fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff