Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
DaKatMan
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Please assisit ;_;

:cry: i wana make some realy cool sig. but i cant!!! >.< im trying to make some cool sig. with this program called "Blender" but no idea how ._. my friend made a badass pic with it .... if theres any tatorials for making sigs with FFXI chr models please tell me ;_; or teach me with screen shots ._.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Step 1) Aquire Adobe Photoshop (the legality of how you aquire it is up to you)

Step 2) ???

Step 3) Profit!

Basically, the industry standard program for raster image manipulation is Photoshop. It's probably the best program out there. That being said, it won't make you an artist. You still need some talent of your own, it just provides a whole lot of tools to help you achieve effects and such. Most everything I know about the program has been through trial and error, seeing how certain features in the program work and then combining stuff as I see fit. As far as tutorials go, you can start with google and search for "photoshop tutorials". Just try looking at a wide variety of effects and it should give you an idea of how stuff works and what it does. From there, you're on your own. People can teach you basics, but they can't teach style.

EDIT: Forgot that if you want to make FFXI based sigs with in-game models, you'll need an FFXI model viewing program. My personal favorite is one called AltanaView.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Raxiaz
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Where can you learn basics? I've been trying to use this program forever and still can't figure out how it works...
Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

There are thousands of tutorials for it out there, just google photoshop tutorials

But tbh, just screw around with it and try out everything to see what it does. I used tutorials a bit but all they teach you is how to do specific effects usually - the real learning comes from just trying it all out and learning the hotkeys and how to modify each tool.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
DaKatMan
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkn
Step 1) Aquire Adobe Photoshop (the legality of how you aquire it is up to you)

Step 2) ???

Step 3) Profit!

Basically, the industry standard program for raster image manipulation is Photoshop. It's probably the best program out there. That being said, it won't make you an artist. You still need some talent of your own, it just provides a whole lot of tools to help you achieve effects and such. Most everything I know about the program has been through trial and error, seeing how certain features in the program work and then combining stuff as I see fit. As far as tutorials go, you can start with google and search for "photoshop tutorials". Just try looking at a wide variety of effects and it should give you an idea of how stuff works and what it does. From there, you're on your own. People can teach you basics, but they can't teach style.

EDIT: Forgot that if you want to make FFXI based sigs with in-game models, you'll need an FFXI model viewing program. My personal favorite is one called AltanaView.
well i have a Atlanta veiwer already where can i get a free Photoshop or torrent of it?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well, I'm fairly sure that Gulk, like any sane website owner, would like this site to remain warez free so I can't post any links. Best I can say is to look for some of the bigger torrent sites on the web and then use their search features to browse their listing of torrents relevant to your interests.

Suppose before I end this post I could give you guys a few quick tips and keyboard shortcuts that make things a whole lot simpler.
  • Add to an Existing Selection (with a selection tool) - CTRL + click/drag to make new selection to add to the existing selection area

Subtract from an existing Selection (with a selection tool) - CTRL + click/drag to make a new selection to take away from the existing selection area

Step Back (essentially Undo) - CTRL+ALT+Z

Step Forward (essentially Redo) - CTRL+SHIFT+Z

Select Layer Transparency - CTRL+Click a layer in the Layer palette

Invert Selection - CTRL+I

Merge Linked Layers - CTRL+E

Group Linked Layers - CTRL+G

Ungroup Linked Layers - CTRL+SHIFT+G

Change Tool Size (Brush, eraser, width of line shape tool, etc.) - [ (decrease) and ] (increase)

Reapply Last Used Filter (and settings) to Current Layer - CTRL+F

Zoom In - CTRL++

Zoom Out - CTRL+-

Caps Lock - toggle on/off the precision cursor (crosshair style cursor)

Various shortcuts for tools - CTRL, ALT, Spacebar, and SHIFT
    Examples:
    *With most any tool, holding shift will constrain the tool to 45 degree angles (helps when you need to use the manual eraser tool and make an erase straight up and down)
    *ALT with tools that create new picture will temporarily change the cursor into the eyedropper tool so that you can quickly change colors to another color in the picture
    *Shift will also constrain shape and selection tools to "perfect" dimensions (rectangle tools will only make squares, ellipse tools will only make circles)
    *Spacebar will allow you to reposition a shape or selection with a shape or selection tool before finalizing the size of the shape or selection itself
    Basically, just play around with CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and Spacebar with various tools to learn how they work. The text in the status bar at the bottom of the window should give a description of the what the tool will do with that key/combination of keys will do.

EDIT: Oh, heck, here's some more stuff. Not keyboard shortcuts either, just stuff it took me a while to find that's pretty handy.

Blend modes - In the layer palette, near the top you should see a drop down box that most likely says "Normal". Open it and you should see options like "Multiply", "Color Dodge", and "Linear Burn". Basically, those change the way that the current layer interacts with the layers behind it for lack of a better way to say it. This basically just takes the colors of the target layer and instead of them being static, it's almost as if they're now an effect applied to the layers below to affect them and change their colors. Should you want it to only apply to a single layer and not the entire image under that layer, make sure to group them (CTRL+G while linked)

Blending Options - This has nothing to do with blending modes. This is where you can have photoshop make outlines, drop shadows, and glowing effects for you easily. Just right click on a layer and go down to "Blending Options...". This should open up a new window that will allow you to make a variety of changes. Also note that any changes made here will be unaffected by filters or changing the fill transparency unless you merge it with another layer.

Adjustment Layers - See that funny icon at the bottom of the layers palette with the circle that's half black, half white? That'll make some adjustment layers for you. Nothing much to say except play with 'em and figure out what stuff does. I still don't even use the vast majority of them but you can do some major color alterations through these.

Layer Mask - Yet another icon at the bottom of the layer palette. This time it's a rectangle with a circle in the middle of it. That will add an alpha channel to your current layer. In simple terms, this is a second greyscale image used to determine partial transparency for a layer. When editing the alpha channel, make sure you click the greyscale image next to the main layer to select it, otherwise you'll be changing the image data itself and not the alpha channel.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Sorry for double post, but the last one is a bit of a monster.

Anyway, here's an example of my standard layout for Photoshop, and yes, I still use Photoshop 7.

Point A: The Layer Palette. This thing is indispensable. Learn it and love it.

Point B: These eyes show that a layer or layer group (the folder icons) are visible. Click the eye to remove it and make the layer invisible.

Point C: The chain links show that a layer (or layers) are linked. This means that if you move one, you move them all. Also useful for grouping layers. The pencil icon at the bottom shows the current working layer. This is the one that should you use any tools or filters that the changes will be applied to.

Point D: A guide. It simply acts as a guide and does not show up in the final image. Useful for setting aside areas of an image or to simply visualize finalized proportions. You can make new guides by left click dragging from either the vertical or horizontal ruler and dropping it in position. Also, you can reposition guides by clicking and dragging while on the move tool. Also, guides are layer indepedent. They are on top of all layers and unaffected by all changes to the image itself.

Point E: This is the area of the status bar I was referring to earlier when I was saying to look there to see what a tool does and what effects certain keyboard shortcuts have on that tool (such as holding shift).

Also note that it's best to work at higher resolutions than you intend your final work to be. You can always scale down and make an image smaller. Making an image larger forces the program to make data out of nothing and you lose clarity. That particular image was 2000*1400 I believe. My finalized sig resulting from it was much much smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example_115.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	16737  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Raxiaz
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Mmm, thanks for the tips! I'll start working with it now... Does it matter what version of Photoshop it is? I think I have some kind of CS2 or something like that. It looks a lot different from your window, though. Also...is there a way to add text to a picture?

Also, another question, but this is about Altana View (or Viewer...whichever). How do I make it do just the casting effects? Like when you're casting a White Magic spell, or black magic spell. Not the actual cast, but just the casting...?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxiaz
Mmm, thanks for the tips! I'll start working with it now... Does it matter what version of Photoshop it is? I think I have some kind of CS2 or something like that. It looks a lot different from your window, though. Also...is there a way to add text to a picture?

Also, another question, but this is about Altana View (or Viewer...whichever). How do I make it do just the casting effects? Like when you're casting a White Magic spell, or black magic spell. Not the actual cast, but just the casting...?

Thanks.
Photoshop's interface has been mostly unchanged for years as far as I know. Some of the icons may be updated and of course there will be new tools (I know there was a healing brush in one of the CSes that isn't in PS7) but I don't think they'd change the stuff I listed above.

Now, about Altana View, you should be able to choose your character model/gear and then go down to Action section near the bottom of the PC tab and in the first drop down box (if it isn't already there) switch it to the "(Basic)" option. Then go to the drop down box next to the "Schedule" radio button and scroll through that list. You should be able to find the casting animations there.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Raxiaz
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
DaKatMan
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

wow a bit confusing and i dont have photoshop i tryed to find 1 with limewire but non of the files i download worked -.-; i have microsoft digitel image standerd 2006 editer
i have blender(still trying to figure it out) VRS witch is even harder
alantaviewr, FFXImoldeviewr, Metaseq,

and wat i use for torrents

LimeWire and μtorrent

i may be missing so prgrams and is seems i cant find the programs i need x.x lol *note not an exprt yet :(*
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

theGIMP is Free and somewhat comparable to Photoshop, you can give that a try.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
DaKatMan
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovivi
where can i get that? c.c lol
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #14
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKatMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovivi
where can i get that? c.c lol
http://www.gimp.org/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff