Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
TOD
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default the new expansion

well not sure if theres a thread up about this already but my RL friend is getting me to come back to ffxi to at least try out the new expansion so i would like to ask before i buy it how do scholar and dancer play exactly? was reading some info on dnc it gets some type of provoke and is evasive so are they a new tank? and sch gets alot of geomancy stuff past level 50 which kind of pissed me off since i was kinda hoping for a strait up geomancer instead (ive been playing way to much tactics)
Old 11-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
El Grapadora
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well... i might be doin it wrong... But my dnc is not necessarily evasive. I get hit pretty hard and the voke is weaker than warrior's provoke. But it's a fun job that you cant really explain more than just playing it.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
TOD
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

hmmm. well ive seen how they have a group AoE drain thing guess that counts for there aggro gaining if they tank? other than that kinda seems like an oddity to me for there skills to work off of tp alone (not sure if thats right) in a since thats kinda like a WoW warrior with rage and all what about sch? people forcing another class to main heal?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

If nothing else, WotG seems to be totally awesome so far for actually adding GOOD lv75 solo content that's rewarding. Also, the new "newbie zones" look like they could be a direct replacement for Valkurm, since the rabbits/worms/fish in East Ronfaure [S] look to be about the same level as the lower end Valkurm crap. Overall I have to say that this expansion itself is full of win, despite the update leading up to it being full of bugs.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
LadyPeorth
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Dancer solos pretty well at low levels with very little down time.
Scholar needs a buff, but don't think we've seen data numbers for their enfeebles.

I don't see Dancer tanking...it's like making a Thief tank. I can see a Flourish Provoke then a TA onto a tank...but as for actual tanking? Nah...

Soloing seems to have been greatly improved. Friend of mine is still soloing his Dancer at near level 20 thanks to the [S] starting areas.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPeorth
Dancer solos pretty well at low levels with very little down time.
Scholar needs a buff, but don't think we've seen data numbers for their enfeebles.

I don't see Dancer tanking...it's like making a Thief tank. I can see a Flourish Provoke then a TA onto a tank...but as for actual tanking? Nah...

Soloing seems to have been greatly improved. Friend of mine is still soloing his Dancer at near level 20 thanks to the [S] starting areas.
Dancer is easy early on. Drain samba is the first it gets and pretty much makes it so you don't have to rest. Their flourish provoke is more for an emergency voke, or to be used in conjunction with thief's accomplice, as they aren't terribly evasive.

Scholar is in dire need of a buff. It has a horrid spell line up, the stratagems don't make up for its failings, and the helix spells suck pretty bad. A scholar reported they did like 21hp/tick for 5 ticks. The best hope is that that was under bad weather.

Easily the best thing this expansion brought is the past zones. And they are truly wonderful.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
Kyrial
Azure Princess
Forum Member

Twitter: KyrialArthian

DNC actually has B+ evasion, which is tied with MNK and SAM for 3rd highest evasion, after THF and NIN, and they get the Evasion Bonus trait (+10 evasion) at level 15. :P But yeah, SE said they designed DNC to be a frontline healer, basically.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

So what does dancer do to contribute to the group? What weapons do they fight with? I've yet to buy the expansion.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Botreie
Proud Pervert
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanta
So what does dancer do to contribute to the group? What weapons do they fight with? I've yet to buy the expansion.
they give the PT Drainga and they can cast cure type moves, they use H2H to start with becasue its best till they can use Viper bite, but they still get D rank in H2H and B in Dagger, so i dont see why no dagger all the way, anyways, at lv. 15 they get Curing waltz which recovers around 70 HP O.O and doesnt really get much stronger, BUT they get at lv. 30 a Curing altz 2 to heal 170 HP ^^ no MP cost or anything they can go all the way to Curing waltz 4, they have a bunch of Sambas that ive yet to see myself, but they also have dances called JIGS and ive never seen one of these but ive heard they increase movement speed and such, anyways this is long enough for me lol
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Kyrial
Azure Princess
Forum Member

Twitter: KyrialArthian

Dagger is their main weapon, but most use h2h and sub MNK until 20, at which point they switch to /NIN and dual wield knives (because level 20 is the first level they get decent knives: Mercenary's Knives). VIT seems to affect the amount healed with Waltzes. All dances require TP to use (except the jigs), so you hafta melee and be able to hit for more than 0. :P There are only 2 jigs: Spectral Jig at 25 (self-only, gives Sneak/Invis effect), and Chocobo Jig at 55 (self-only, increases movement speed). They also have a group cure dance (Divine Waltz), and an Erase/-na dance (Healing Waltz). So yeah... frontline healers. :P
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
Botreie
Proud Pervert
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrial
Dagger is their main weapon, but most use h2h and sub MNK until 20, at which point they switch to /NIN and dual wield knives (because level 20 is the first level they get decent knives: Mercenary's Knives). VIT seems to affect the amount healed with Waltzes. All dances require TP to use (except the jigs), so you hafta melee and be able to hit for more than 0. :P There are only 2 jigs: Spectral Jig at 25 (self-only, gives Sneak/Invis effect), and Chocobo Jig at 55 (self-only, increases movement speed). They also have a group cure dance (Divine Waltz), and an Erase/-na dance (Healing Waltz). So yeah... frontline healers. :P
yeah i heard about that TP crap, thats dumb lol, ive seen kick ass DNC with kick ass gear doing no damage with daggers XD made me sad, so i went to town and spent a crap load of cash for some ATT gear XD , /sigh what we do for new jobs eh? >.>
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

If I were you, I would wait 3-4 months before you come. Right now theres about 2 days worth of activities in the expansion. >.>

1: get maws
2: get jobs
3: do campaigne
4: do the (three...) missions

then your done >.> id let SE release some updates otherwise you'll prob get bored right away :/
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botreie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrial
yeah i heard about that TP crap, thats dumb lol, ive seen kick ass DNC with kick ass gear doing no damage with daggers XD made me sad, so i went to town and spent a crap load of cash for some ATT gear XD , /sigh what we do for new jobs eh? >.>
nothing saying you can't just sub SAM for the store TP and meditate later on to counter the 0 damage you'll more than likely be doing on exp mobs
Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
TOD
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

so basically if DNC is a front line healer theres no need for a main heal in the party and just have some job secondary heal (like rdm)? and does anyone know when SCH does get good to them?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #15
Zaltana
Forum Member

everyone for the most part ran to dancer, but scholar has been recomended as the new #1 blm subjob cause it its stat boosting abilities. they can also change the weather as well as the seasons. this would be a great benefit to blms and smns that have gear that rely on weather condidtions.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaltana
everyone for the most part ran to dancer, but scholar has been recomended as the new #1 blm subjob cause it its stat boosting abilities. they can also change the weather as well as the seasons. this would be a great benefit to blms and smns that have gear that rely on weather condidtions.
they can't change the seasons, those animations are pixie TP moves
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
hello
Kitty Inspector
Forum Member

Didn't read through everyones posts but read through most... And everything i saw about sch said it was weak. Well, basically it's a budget whm, or a budget blm. It's a good job, i've pted with them at 60+ and they can do some pretty decent nukes, and their healing of course works about the same as a rdm (plus they have regen 2 which helps a lot). All in all, it's not a replacement for either whm nor blm but it can be used in place of either if need be. They can turn their tier 3 nukes into tier 4 strength (only a step below tier 4 strength) which basically makes them a budget blm. They can heal for low mp, and they can nuke for super cheap.

Dnc, well dnc is an excellent healer when played properly. Theres a JP friend of mine whos doing dnc on my server who i pted with most of 57-67 on my drk so far, and he did an awesome job. We had 5 melee and the dnc (i guess dnc is melee too) most of the time. Normal setup was war, war, drk, sam, dnc, and blu. The blu we pt with backup healed, but barely had to do anything of the sort. All in all, we kicked some serious ass with that much damage. He more or less only used the curaga dance, although he used the single target cure ones at times. But hate bounced around between the 6 of us (all /nin btw) rather well and evenly.

EDIT: Forgot to mention dnc gets a cure that is nearly equal to cure 5.

And the whole tp instead of mp thing works very nicely. They can build tp fast, and... tbh i havent seen ANY dnc hitting 0 much at all, even the really newbie ones. The one i pt with uses all acc gear he can, atk gear where he cant and then uses atk food. Plus, they get a finishing move that gives them tp.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #18
PANCAKESDEFEATED
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_panshiel
Quote:
They do have spells that change weather, though. Just not AoE

Example: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Sandstorm

And that, ma'am, is how I countered your counterattack. =<

On a side note, I fucking love pixies. :[
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANCAKESDEFEATED

Delicious flat chest OH GOD!!!

Scholar is recommended as the new blm sub, but it's not likely to succeed as blm/sch will have zero defensive ability.

Whm/Sch on the other hand.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANCAKESDEFEATED
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_panshiel
Quote:
They do have spells that change weather, though. Just not AoE

Example: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Sandstorm

And that, ma'am, is how I countered your counterattack. =<

i already know that SCO could change the weather. but there was a youtube video going around with pixie TP move animations listed as SCO season changing spells. it started a whole line of rumors about it

this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1GOBzo_ux8

hence why i said SCO can't change SEASONS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff