Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default The Witcher

This game is epic, and an absolute must buy. The demo alone lets you play through the first chapter, and that alone if you explore and do all the quests will take several hours. It's like they took the best parts of the elderscrolls, and mixed them with the best parts of neverwinter nights and made an absolute gem of a game.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

uhhh

odd

I own the game, and thought it was absolutely awful. I got to the 3rd level or so before getting fed up. Every single other person I've talked to who played it (at least a dozen on separate occasions) agreed. o.O

I'm sure the story was going to get more interesting, judging by the way things were going and the characters. I just could not put up with the gameplay mechanics. You could literally beat nearly every fight by staring at a 8px-by-8px square on your screen and clicking the mouse button when it turns orange.

I give them points for trying something completely new with PC RPG's, but risky experimentation doesn't always mean innovative revolution
Old 12-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Shantotto
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I most definetely could not beat the battles very easily if I switched up the difficulty. It was one of the things I liked about the game, that the alchemy system actually felt extremely useful.

That said, I'm not a big fan of action-RPG combat. Whether it's Oblivion, Jade Empire or what have you. The Witchers combat was the most enjoyable I've tried in a action-RPG, but still... I prefer the slower pace in traditional cRPGs.

About the game, I thought the developers did a fantastic job, but there are also a few flaws that kept me from really getting into the game. Many of the problems have to do with the fact that again, I don't think action-RPGs are for me.

I will say this though, the setting is one of the most well-realized RPG settings I've ever seen. Finally a fantasy world that doesn't feel like disneyland. The city of Vizima oozes atmosphere, and it's great to have a RPG that actually dare to reference "darker" subject matters such as sexual violence and slavery. Of course, some of the "adult" stuff feels a bit immature, but it's a small price to pay if you ask me.

I really hope the devs make a good profit on this game. Even though it's not for me, I think it's a monumental effort, and it truly feels like a unique game.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well if you guys liked it I suppose I should give it another chance. Its still installed, and I only played about an hour into it so maybe it gets better after that. And I suppose I'd have to say the combat is the main draw that made me stop, but it looks a hell of a lot better than Oblivion's absolutely GHASTLY combat system, and if a game like Oblivion with such a god-awful absolutely horrible combat system can be so fun due to other elements, I suppose the witcher could be the same way.

Action RPG's should have combat like Dark Messiah: Might & Magic. If you're going to make an action game, at least make the action part exhilarating. While The Witcher's combat is far from thrilling gameplay-wise, at least the animations look pretty damn cool.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
wanta
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

LOADINGSCREENAN GAEMS
Other than that, I thought it's a very decent RPG, and I heard a patch to fix the load times is coming out soon.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Gawd. I started on hard because when I played the demo on normal it was easy. But DAMN the beast is annoyingly difficult. Probably because my comp kind of sucks for this game and for some reason I keep getting stuck and can't attack or move. Though my primary objective has become to knock up every barwench, sorceress, and witch that I come across.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Shantotto
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

A few battles are quite difficult yes. Like I said, I have to give it to CDProjekt for creating a game where I actually felt the alchemy system was extremely useful (critical in fact).
Unfortunately, I think the game gets easier and easier as it goes on.

Also, the game doesn't really get going until Chapter 2 I think. The tutorial is terrible, and Chapter 1 is a bit... Dunno, uninteresting I suppose. But in Chapter 2 you enter the *marveouslly* realized city of Vizima.

The 1.2 Patch was released recently, and people are reporting that the loading times are *way* faster now. And of course I just uninstalled the game 4 or 5 days ago *sigh*. :P
Old 12-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Loading times are faster. Loading up from scratch still takes a while, but going between large areas takes oh 30ish seconds on my machine that can't take the game unless most everything is turned down to low. Small areas only take a few seconds to load up.

And yes, the real story doesn't even start until chapter 2. Chapter 1 is more of an introduction to get the hang of the game.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

So I decided to give it another chance, booted the game up, and when I went to load my save it loaded, then went to a black screen permanently. I could hear my char walking around and the music and sounds were all there, but couldn't see anything.

Tried 4 or 5 times, in windowed mode even, same result.

So gg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions