Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner » FFXi Tutorials

Notices

Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Default Wenny's Tutorials

I have spent the last 2 days making some brief .dat modding tutorials. For everyone interested, feel free to download them. They are in .avi format.

For those of you who have the sick desire to hear what my voice sounds like, here's your chance.

The audio quality is unpredictable at times, but it was the best I could throw together. I cut them down into smaller videos, so they would be easier to manage. Also, the longer the video, the more the video lagged behind the audio so I was forced to keep them short.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do not distribute these to other websites. I don't want 18+ content in the hands of minors, nor will I take responsibility should that happen. Use these for your own personal use.

Introduction and a brief lesson on Modelviewer: http://users.neko-sentai.com/wenrick...odelviewer.rar
VRS Tutorials: http://users.neko-sentai.com/wenrick...0Tutorials.rar
Photoshop Tutorials: http://users.neko-sentai.com/wenrick...pTutorials.rar
Metasequoia Tutorials: http://users.neko-sentai.com/wenrick...0Tutorials.rar
ChangeTex Tutorials: http://users.neko-sentai.com/wenrick...0Tutorials.rar

Last edited by Wenrick; 03-22-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Fixed links.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Wintermute
Postcount Manipulator
Forum Member

Hey, very cool. Thanks for sharing. :)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I like this one a lot. I like the ability to be able to stop and rewind or pause while your actually doing it. I think I was almost able to combine two models but at the very end when I was trying to save it VRS locked up and now wont even load. I will try to install it maybe reset my pc a few times and if it works, Ill make sure to let you know. And even if it doesent work thanks for uploading this I almost feel like I can figure out VRS!

Edit: Wow whatever I did I did it good.... I cant even load the white paper mesh thing anymore.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

You don't really need to load the .scn (scene) files if you don't want. All you truly need is the FFXI model tools. If they don't show up, reinstall. I updated my VRS program not too long ago, and after initial login, I had no problems at all. Curious that you do, though. Hopefully a reinstall will be all you need.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenrick
You don't really need to load the .scn (scene) files if you don't want. All you truly need is the FFXI model tools. If they don't show up, reinstall. I updated my VRS program not too long ago, and after initial login, I had no problems at all. Curious that you do, though. Hopefully a reinstall will be all you need.
Actually you need a scn open in order for the tools to even show up.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Well, he got it all sorted out anyway.

Yeah, the initial scene loads automatically, or it should. His problem is that his didn't. I incorrectly assumed that he was trying to load the whitepaper.scn after it had already autoloaded. A full uninstall fixed his issue, thankfully.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Mayhem
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Man, I didn't know you could use change text to replace the .dds files. Up till now, I'd only used it to get the hex memory address for HQ .dds files and such. Had been working around the VRS deterioration by exporting from model view, renaming things and reimporting into model viewer. This is gonna save me a ton of time though. Thanks man. Good tutorials.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Yeah, ChangeTex is a godsend. And ridiculously easy to use.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Kichi
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Your VRS video tutorial is realy nice, but you missed a few things while you were making it.
Namely, adding vertices and edges. I can add a vertex when i want, I just can't figgure out how to add an edge^^ Any help in this would be awesome^^
Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichi
Your VRS video tutorial is realy nice, but you missed a few things while you were making it.
Namely, adding vertices and edges. I can add a vertex when i want, I just can't figgure out how to add an edge^^ Any help in this would be awesome^^
I've found that you can only add an edge to divide up a polygon into smaller triangles. Usually you would use the polygon tool after adding new vertices not on an existing edge.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

The reason I didn't include adding vertices and edges is because I have had certain export errors occur when adding them. Not all the time, though. Its been weird. Sometimes it lets me add them, and other times it doesn't. Until I figure out exactly why it makes an error, I'm afraid that tutorial will forever remain uncreated.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
Kichi
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

That's too bad, I was realy hoping i could add onto an existing structure. Maybe you could explain for me how to use the polygon tool. It's a little confusing. I've tryed playing with it, but it never works for me XD
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichi
That's too bad, I was realy hoping i could add onto an existing structure. Maybe you could explain for me how to use the polygon tool. It's a little confusing. I've tryed playing with it, but it never works for me XD
I'm pretty sure to add to it, you'll have to create a primitive, and go from there. The first tutorial that covers the majority of everything is called Ye Olde Grumpy Rarab's Modding Guide

It may be of some guidance to you.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
Kichi
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Yep, I have a link to that, but it's hard to read when some of the text goes like: "I have no idea what this does, so I leave it alone" lol but he did help me on a few issues.

edit: Of course, I have no idea what it does either, but it's hard to read that in a guide XD
Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

I suppose I could add a vertex and edge creation tutorial. Would have to come with a strong disclaimer though. Truthfully, I'm not sure how much help it would be.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
Kichi
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Well i think i figured it out^^ I'll let you know once I've tested it enough to confirm. lol
I'll let you know also if it doesn't work XD
Old 04-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Kichi
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

It seems as though I've not only failed miserably, I've failed spectacularly XD
Maybe if I knew what you did even though you get export errors, I could play with it a little more. For now, I must humbly admit defeat in the face of a superior foe.

"Curse you VRS!!!!" XD
Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Let me see if I can explain in a post.

1- Load the dat file, and select the mesh object (black box) in the schematic window and decide where you want to add the vertex.
2- In the Perspective window, make sure you have "vertex" selected in the target box, and in the operation box choose "center existing edge vertex." It should be the icon with a yellow dot in the center of a black line.
3- Now click on the edge (white line) where you want the vertex placed. A new yellow vertex should appear.

Once you've added enough vertexes, its time to add lines.

4- In the operations box, click the "edge" icon. It should be a blue line between two black dots.
5- Click the two vertexes you wish to join. The first click should turn the vertex blue, and the second click should complete the edge.

This isn't hard at all, but there's a catch. The line of symmetry can be tricky. There is actually two edges along that line, one for the left half, and another for the right, because when you import into VRS, it automatically mirrors the mesh and reproduces a right side (most normal dats only have a left side and FFXI automatically mirrors it when it displays the game). So when you add a vertex, it added it to one of the sides of the dat, but not both. You have to go in and find which side it is, and then add another vertex to the other side. This can be annoying and time consuming (and might just be the source of my export errors).

So there you have it. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #19
Kichi
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Well unfortunately that only works inside the mesh, in existing plygons. But I suppose it's better than nothing. I'll just have to build it up and stretch it where I want it. Thanks for the help^^
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #20
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Building an object from scratch is something I have no idea how to do, so unfortunately, you're on your own.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner » FFXi Tutorials