Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section

Notices

Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
AnimeMakami
Forum Member

Default Total re-texturing of FFXI project?

I know this would be an insane amount of work, but has anyone heard of any complete HQ re-texturing projects for FFXI through .dats?

It's just that the game can be put to a background resolution to look very smooth, but the old blocky textures are sores on the rest of the graphics.

In no way am i requesting someone make this, but I'm just asking if anyone knows of something like this existing or if it is an on-going project that i could check up on, because i would love to see higher quality textures in this game. : )
Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I would be nothing short of confounded if anyone even remotely considered retexturing even a portion of one single zone

To do just one of any of the most basic zones - like a cave or something - would take weeks , if not months, to make HQ.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Be almost impossible, if it's even possible to HQ a zone.. since there is no "skeleton" you wouldn't be able to export from VRS.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

well (devils advocate here) SE hada write the dats to begin with so it must be possible.

how or the ease of it is a whole diffrent playing feild.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
Curunir
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Oh it is certainly possible, and I've seen it done by fan modders in other games before. System Shock 2, for example, received a 100% model and texture revamp by some crazy mod community which was amazing. But that is a game which has a relatively small amount of visual data to rebuild, and hardly amounts to what it would take to redo just the environmental textures of a game like FFXI.

It would be pretty cool if someone took the time, but I highly doubt anyone would, when that same effort could just as easily be spent creating new unique player dats (as HQ'ing an existing texture isn't nearly as fun imo)
Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

The biggest problem with the zones is that the texture isn't all in one map. Thelittle rocky tidbits (like a cliff) and varying grassy textures, etc. are painted over using a vertex painter, because as you said it would be almost impossible to do it with a normal map. Since VRS lacks any advanced modeling tools (such as a vertex painter), it would have to be done in a different program. My guess is SE made most of their models using either a 3ds max or Maya. Since they're in .dat format now, there has to be a way to reverse engineer the process to make it go from .dat to whatever file it originated from.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

iv been planing for months to get atleast maya maybe 3ds max tho i had no luck on vrs or meta yet so even if i do i dont hold my breath!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblomega
iv been planing for months to get atleast maya maybe 3ds max tho i had no luck on vrs or meta yet so even if i do i dont hold my breath!
The 3DS plugin only works with the MQO.. similar to Meta.. so restricted to the same things as Meta..
and Nobody has created a plugin for Maya.. yet (if ever) and that would be the best program.. as it's (more then likely) one of the ones that S/E used.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

when i said i hadent master it i was being 100% seriouse as such 99% of what u said was greek to me. is it possible to break that down abit. geek speak is fine but 3d-editor geek speak is not.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
Blin
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Default Blocky textures

I agree, ffxi does need some sort of overhaul to bring it up to at least decent graphics. But it never is going to happen. All I can think about is SE saying "PS2 limited.. blah blah blah.." BUT! for us awesome PC users out there.. You can pump your rez up from the chunky 1024X1024 to a Decent 2048X2048 which is the cap for the program. You can try to go higher, but it wont do anything pretty then that 2048. All you gotta do to Up the rez is use your Regedit.

Start
>Run
>>Regedit
>>> Hkey_Local_Machine
>>>>PlayonlineUS
>>>>>SquareEnix
>>>>>>FinalFantasyXI
Welcome to the folder that has all the files that you need to change to get the rez to be proper. You only need to change 2 of them for the texture fix, The other two is for the overlay things. (Text box, menu's exc.)

In the window should be 0001. That file is the first part of the overlay rez.
Since mine is at 1680x1050 my 0001 file shows a value of 1680

0002 is the second half of the overlay rez number. So mine is 1050.

Thus, with these two things changed, My Overlay is now at 1680x1050 instead of something yucky like 800x600.

Now, to change these things, you must right click on the 0001 and..

>Click modify
>>Click Decimal

This will allow you to imput the number that you need in the "Value data" section.

This is the same way you will use to modify 0003 and 0004 which are the texture rez.

So modify 0003 and 0004 to BOTH be 2048 and then close the registry.

Its fairly simple, sorta hard to explain though. Please be aware that this is going to put a greater strain on your video card. I know I definitly lost some performance, but the visual stimulation that it gives is almost that of sex. Well.. not that good. But damn. Its like a whole new game without re-doing everything! :-D hope that'll satisfy your taste for better graphics.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

For those that use the 3rd party windower here is a link to a plugin called draw distance it basically makes the game look better.
http://windower.faservers.net/wiki/plugins/drawdistance
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #12
AnimeMakami
Forum Member

Yar, changing the values in the registry to force the overlay to a higher pixel count was something i learned a while ago. x.x

I'm really glad i did, the normal res makes me sad. :(

/whines about the PS2 ruining the textures for all of us...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
tblomega
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

for the reg bit just google mogtoolz. u can adjust ur rez anyway u want u can adjut various sound options & even graphic driver bassed options as they pertain to ffxi. TBH maxing out mipmaping did more for me then the 2048X2048 BG res but i must admitt to using both. (u can do the 2048X2048 in mogtoolz btw)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section