Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Jcat
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Risks of playing with .dats (POL is performing an error)

So last week I tried out that wonderful schoolgirl mod (and test a few others) that Miayoko had requested on the forum. Very cute btw d^_~b. I was then going to restore all the files to the original so I copied all my back-up files and replaced my ROM .dats. Not too long after doing so, POL encountered an error and had to be shut down. This continued (continues) everytime I try to log into my character from the "choose character" screen.

I am wondering why this happened. It's the second time I've had to reinstall the whole game. Could this be caused by missing an update and FFXI crashing as a result. Any advice would be welcome because getting a mithra into a schoolgirl outfit should not take hours (of reinstalling/patching).
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,588 Times in 3,421 Posts

Pol uses files in a compleatly differnt place then the dats for ffxi are located I'd imagine.

As for backingup. I found just doing a "rar file" of what I'm changing like 59.dat to 59.rar makes for quick and easy dat fixing (instead of a whole new folder/name/location)

Pol/ffxi probably crashed because of a missing file. 1 way to fix this is use a .DAT viewer and scroll through every dat and see which bringup a missing error, fixing it and you could most likely get back ingame.

There is always the possibiliy a dat has some "error" in it that can cause a crash but I've not seen that really happen, and I've mixed some really strange stuff together like... poke emote to do a monster ability to fire a fireball at someone etc.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

In addition, you can run a File Check on both POL Viewer and FFXI.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

If you have updated since you made these backup folders, an explanation on the issue and how to resolve it are below. Otherwise, disregard this post.

Any time you restore your old backup ROM files, then there are some files inside your ROM folders that change slightly that will cause POL to crash each time you try and restart it. The overall issue is that your ROM files don't match your .ver file's number.

If you still have your files from before restore, or you still have the ability to undo the copy/paste you did to restore your files, you should probably just do that and manually change the files you didn't want individually from backup folders.

If you saved your .ver file from when you made your backup files (unlikely as it is in the folder above the ROM folders), you can replace your current .ver file with the old one and your game will update and fix itself.

If you cannot do this, you have two remaining options. However, both of these options will delete 95% or so of your .DAT mods you still have active. The first, as suggested earlier, was to do a POL File Check. While this should fix your issue, I've never had much luck getting it to function correctly. The second solution is to delete your .ver file inside the Final Fantasy XI folder (above ROM folders). This file tells POL which version of FFXI you currently have, and is changed with every update. Deleting it will force the FFXI update to check every file it has ever updated, download any that are not as they should be, and install them.

I highly recommend you choose one specific set of clothes and change those to test if you want to use new .DAT mods, then if you decide that you do like them, put them over the clothes you really want to replace. This will prevent the issue from coming up in the future, since the original files you will have to restore will be in a small amount (so less work to restore), as well as being only clothes files (so they won't cause POL to crash if restored).
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Jcat
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Thank you for all the info. I like the .ver idea since I have little to lose at this point. I know how to save macros.

I did run a file check, seems to only work when I have mods installed. :P
If deleting the .ver file doesn't work, I'll try checking all the dat files. ;_;

Normally I'd just do a small file restore of just the few I modded, but after working for a week and coming back to FFXI, I had no idea which (other) files they were and I wanted to fix it quick... sure got myself in a fix.

edit: yes it seems all I needed was a good update to find/fix whatever file was causing the problem. Thank you, very much! /^o^/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section