Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Figment
Forum Member

Default VIsta mods...

*Respectfully, all credit goes to CmdrFly of Quetzalcoatl and QCDN.org, I don't even own vista, just thought some of yall might benefit from this guide*

[quote=CmdrFly]I am not affiliated with Microsoft in any way aside from being a typical end user. You use this guide at your own risk. By reading this word: balls you agree to buy me a consumable liquid in beerbong format.

This guide assumes:
  • You understand basic computer operations
  • You understand the difference between a workgroup and a domain
  • You are a home user
  • You understand what services are
If you need clarification on anything, please ask - a lot of our members can decrypt the lingo below. A little about myself before I get into the meat.
I've been a computer nerd since I was 11 years old, did my first install at 12 (jumped from 4mb to 12mb RAM, and yes it made a world of difference). Went to a polytech college immediately after I graduated. Undertook 2 years of technical training. I never took the official cert tests but we were trained for CCNA, CCNP, the certification formerly known as MCSE, ISA, some NetWare, DataComm, other menial crap. When school was over I got a job as tier-2 IT support. Worked at that for 2 years, deeply involved in AD on 2k, a lot of troubleshooting Windows XP but moreso the apps we ran on it. I then got shoed into a role of IP Telephony and now focus on VoIP technologies, applications, and implementations.[/indent]
I run Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I purchased Vista for two reasons: leading edge and DirectX 10. Have I ever considered re-installing XP? Yes, when I first got Vista. Do I regret paying for this wonderful OS? No. After I tweaked and customized it these inhibitions have disappeared.

The first part of my guide will focus on Vista's plethora of services. I will later dive into Local Security Policies, then possibly tweaks within Windows' applets.

The majority of this services guide is derived from the TechRepublic document titled "Windows Vista services that can be disabled". I recommend TechRepublic, AnandTech, and DailyTech for anyone hunting for good reliable sites to expand their tech knowledge.

Here's the link to TechRepublic's complete spreadsheet (I only picked ~60 services, they have all ~130):
http://downloads.techrepublic.com.co...x?docid=296633

I added my personal notes to the services below offering my insight, suggestions, and anticipated results. However, keep in mind that I don't know everything. If something sounds amiss or you know something is incorrect, please do some research or give me a link and I'll edit my guide accordingly.

Name: Application Experience
  • Short Name: AeLookupSvc
  • Executable Name: svchost.exe
  • Description: Processes application compatibility cache requests for applications as they are launched.
  • Default Status: Started
  • Startup Type: Automatic
  • Fly's Notes: I'm iffy on this one. I'm not sure what happens in the background for application compatibility... vendor software may use this without our knowledge to enable some features. Disable if you want peak performance but if you have any compatibility problems with software, I'd look to re-enable this first and foremost in your troubleshooting.

Name: Application Management
  • Short Name: AppMgmt
  • Description: Processes installation, removal, and enumeration requests for Active Directory IntelliMirror group policy programs.
  • Impact if Disabled: Users will be unable to install, remove, or enumerate any IntelliMirror programs. Keep enabled in a corporate environment.
  • Startup Type: Manual
  • Fly's Notes: Group Policy Objects (GPOs) aren't used unless your computer is on a domain. Local Policies are used if you're in a workgroup. Disable this if you're not on a domain.

Name: Block Level Backup Engine Service
  • Short Name: wbengine
  • Executable Name: wbengine.exe
  • Description: Engine to perform block-level backup and recovery of data as opposed to file-level backups.
  • Impact if Disabled: Block-level backups will not function, but file-level backups will still operate.
  • Fly's Notes: I'm not sure the difference is critical. Most people just copy files to an external drive or optical disc for backups; depending on the software used for this, it may revert to file-level anyways. The worst that might happen is your files will backup slower if you're moving a large amount of smaller files.

Name: Certificate Propagation
  • Short Name: CertPropSvc
  • Description: Propagates certificates from smart cards.
  • Impact if Disabled: Services that use smart cards will not operate.
  • Special Notes: Enable only if you use smart cards.
  • Fly's Notes: I've never even seen a smart card. Most home users won't need this service.

Name: Computer Browser
  • Short Name: Browser
  • Description: Maintains an up-to-date list of computers on your network and supplies the list to programs that request it. The Computer Browser service is used by Windows-based computers that need to view network domains and resources.
  • Impact if Disabled: Your computer will be unable to locate other Windows computers on the network
  • Special Notes: Enable this service if you need to share files with other Windows computers.
  • Fly's Notes: Home users with only 1 computer won't need this. Remote file sharing (accessing files on a computer in someone else's house) will usually rely on other protocols and services, unaffected by this one.

Name: Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
  • Short Name: UxSms
  • Description: Provides Desktop Window Manager startup and maintenance services. This service enables Windows Vista's Aero Glass display.
  • Impact if Disabled: Aero Glass will not work.
  • Special Notes: If you revert to something other than the new Aero Glass interface, you can disable this service. Reverting to a different interface can have positive performance implications.
  • Fly's Notes: I'm an Aero user, I left this on.

Name: DFS Replication
  • Short Name: DFSR
  • Executable Name: DFSR.exe
  • Description: Replicates files among multiple PCs keeping them in sync. On the client, it is used to roam folders between PCs; on servers, it is used to provide high availability and local access across a wide area network (WAN).
  • Impact if Disabled: File replication won't occur and the files on the server will become out of date.
  • Special Notes: If you are not on a network, this service is safe to disable.
  • Fly's Notes: DFS is not as popular as it probably should be. It's primarily a corporate technology, home users will usually stick with standard folder shares. If you don't know what DFS is and/or you set up your home network, you can disable this.

Name: Diagnostic Policy Service
  • Short Name: DPS
  • Description: The Diagnostic Policy Service enables problem detection troubleshooting and resolution for Windows components during installation.
  • Impact if Disabled: Application installation diagnostics will no longer function.
  • Special Notes: Can go either way on this one. If disabled, troubleshooting can be a little more difficult.
  • Fly's Notes: I hate this shit. I'd prefer to troubleshoot myself, rather than have Vista tell me "there's a problem with this program but I can't fix it, click here to search Microsoft's website!".

Name: Diagnostic Service Host
  • Short Name: WdiServiceHost
  • Description: The Diagnostic Service Host service enables problem detection troubleshooting and resolution for Windows components.
  • Impact if Disabled: Some system diagnostics will no longer function.
  • Special Notes: Can go either way on this one. If disabled, troubleshooting can be a little more difficult.
  • Fly's Notes: See above.

Name: Diagnostic System Host
  • Short Name: WdiSystemHost
  • Description: Enables problem detection troubleshooting and resolution for Windows components.
  • Impact if Disabled: System diagnostics will not not function.
  • Fly's Notes: See above above.

Name: Distributed Transaction Coordinator
  • Short Name: MSDTC
  • Executable Name: msdtc.exe
  • Description: Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems.
  • Impact if Disabled: Distributed transactions will not occur. This can affect Personal Web Server and SQL Server.
  • Special Notes: Most desktops run neither Personal Web Server or SQL Server.
  • Fly's Notes: As above, home computers aren't typically web nor SQL servers. Safe to disable.

Name: Extensible Authentication Protocol
  • Short Name: EapHost
  • Description: The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) service provides network authentication in such scenarios as 802.1x wired and wireless VPN and Network Access Protection (NAP). EAP also provides application programming interfaces (APIs) that are used by network access clients, including wireless and VPN clients during the authentication process.
  • Impact if Disabled: The computer is prevented from accessing networks that require EAP authentication, including 802.1x.
  • Special Notes: If you need access to an 802.1x-enabled network, do not disable this service.
  • Fly's Notes: EAP and PEAP are subset security protocols used in some corporate scenarios. I can't imagine them being used on many home networks. Ethernet is 802.3, anyone familiar with trunking on Cisco's IOS will know that 802.1q replaced 802.10 which was previously the LAN security standard of choice. 802.10 is legacy and this service should not affect wired computers.

Name: Fax
  • Short Name: Fax
  • Executable Name: fxssvc.exe
  • Description: Enables you to send and receive faxes utilizing fax resources available on this computer or on the network.
  • Impact if Disabled: You won't be able to send faxes from your computer.
  • Fly's Notes: I suspect this refers to Windows' built-in fax program... if you use a third-party program for e-faxing, it should still work with this disabled. The Telephony service is more important in the case of a third-party fax program.

Name: Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Short Name: fdPHost
  • Description: Host process for Function Discovery providers. Your computer won't be able to automatically discover some printers and other network-based resources.
  • Fly's Notes: If you have a network printer (which is very different than a printer connected to a computer on the network), you may want to leave this on. I've not been a fan of Microsoft's auto-discovery methods, so until they have something as smooth as CDP I tend to leave stuff like this disabled.

Name: Function Discovery Resource Publication
  • Short Name: FDResPub
  • Description: Publishes this computer and resources attached to this computer so they can be discovered over the network.
  • Impact if Disabled: The computer's network resources will no longer be published and they will not be discovered by other computers on the network.
  • Fly's Notes: I don't host stuff on my computer. If you're the same, disable this. If you share files within your network it may be advantageous to leave this on.

Name: Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
  • Short Name: SharedAccess
  • Description: Provides network address translation addressing name resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network.
  • Impact if Disabled: You will not be able to share your connection to the Internet.
  • Startup Type: Disabled
  • Fly's Notes: If you have a router, or are the only computer on your network, disable this. If other computers connect through your computer to reach the Internet, leave this on. Keep in mind that is a very rare and oddball configuration.

Name: IP Helper
  • Short Name: iphlpsvc
  • Description: Provides automatic IPv6 connectivity over an IPv4 network.
  • Impact if Disabled: IPv6 services will not be available.
  • Special Notes: Most networks do not use IPv6.
  • Fly's Notes: The world will have to shift to IPv6 sooner or later, but it's been in the works for about 6 years so it doesn't seem to be moving very fast. I left this on for shits & giggles.

Name: IPsec Policy Agent
  • Short Name:PolicyAgent
  • Description: Internet Protocol security (IPsec) supports network-level peer authentication, data origin authentication, data integrity, data confidentiality (encryption), and replay protection. This service enforces IPsec policies created through the IP Security Policies snap-in or the command-line tool "netsh ipsec."
  • Impact if Disabled: You may experience network connectivity issues if your policy requires that connections use IPsec. Remote management of Windows Firewall is not available when this service is not running.
  • Fly's Notes: IPSec is rare in home networks. This is safe to disable.

Name: KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator
  • Short Name: KtmRm
  • Description: Coordinates transactions between Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) and the Kernel Transaction Manager (KTM).
  • Impact if Disabled: If you are using DTC, you must run this service.
  • Startup Type: As Needed
  • Fly's Notes: If you disabled DTC earlier, disable this as well.

Name: Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
  • Short Name: lltdsvc
  • Description: Creates a Network Map consisting of PC and device topology (connectivity) information and metadata describing each PC and device.
  • Impact if Disabled: The Network Map will not work.
  • Fly's Notes: I don't like this. I am well aware of what's in the computers on my network, I don't need Vista to spend processor cycles regurgitating the same to me. I disabled this and my network connection remains.

Name: Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service
  • Short Name: MSiSCSI
  • Description: Manages Internet SCSI (iSCSI) sessions from this computer to remote iSCSI target devices.
  • Impact if Disabled: The system will be unable to access iSCSI targets.
  • Special Notes: Enable only if you use iSCSI in your environment.
  • Fly's Notes: I have not used iSCSI much. This is probably safe to disable; remote access methods should still encapsulate in other protocol frames so I wouldn't suspect this to cause any troubles if turned off.

Name: Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
  • Short Name: swprv
  • Description: Manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service.
  • Impact if Disabled: Software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed.
  • Special Notes: Leave set at Manual if you intend to use Windows Backup.
  • Fly's Notes: Shadow Copy is pretty god damn sweet, I must say. We use it on our file servers at work. I see no need for it at home though, but again I don't do backups regularly. If you do, you may want to read up on this feature to see if you like it - otherwise disable this service.

Name: Netlogon
  • Short Name: Netlogon
  • Executable Name: lsass.exe
  • Description: Maintains a secure channel between this computer and the domain controller for authenticating users and services.
  • Impact if Disabled: Users logging in from the Vista workstation may not be able to authenticate to the domain.
  • Fly's Notes: Most home networks are not domains. This is safe to disable. MSTSC still works.

Name: Network List Service
  • Short Name: netprofm
  • Description: Identifies the networks to which the computer has connected; collects and stores properties for these networks; and notifies applications when these properties change.
  • Impact if Disabled: You will be unable to list the networks to which you are connected via the system tray icon.
  • Fly's Notes: I disabled the systray network icon so I turned this off as well. More MS autodiscovery crap.

Name: Network Location Awareness
  • Short Name: NlaSvc
  • Description: Collects and stores network configuration and location information and notifies applications when this information changes. This service is a part of ICS.
  • Impact if Disabled: Services such as ICS & ICF will not function.
  • Special Notes: Enable if this computer has Internet Connection Sharing enabled or if you are using the Internet Connection Firewall.
  • Fly's Notes: I don't use the Windows firewall so I disabled this.

Name: Offline Files
  • Short Name: CscService
  • Description: The Offline Files service performs maintenance activities on the Offline Files cache, responds to user logon and logoff events, implements the internals of the public API, and dispatches interesting events to those interested in Offline Files activities and changes in cache state.
  • Impact if Disabled: Offline files will not be available.
  • Fly's Notes: Offline files isn't terribly common on home systems. You would have had to manually set it up to start with, so if you don't recall that term then disable this.

Name: Parental Controls
  • Short Name: WPCSvc
  • Description: This service enables Windows Parental Controls on the system.
  • Impact if Disabled: Parental controls will not work.
  • Special Notes: If you have kids at home and want to lock things down, keep this service enabled.
  • Fly's Notes: Fucked with my pr0n. I killed this one fast.

Name: Performance Logs & Alerts
  • Short Name: pla
  • Description: Collects performance data for the computer or other computers and writes it to a log or displays it on the screen.
  • Impact if Disabled: Performance information will no longer be logged or displayed.
  • Fly's Notes: If you haven't used Vista's Performance Monitor... get out from under your rock, it fucking rules. If you can't comprehend what Vista's Performance Monitor is telling you then disable this.

Name: Print Spooler
  • Short Name: Spooler
  • Executable Name: spoolsv.exe
  • Description: Manages all local and network print queues and controls all printing jobs.
  • Impact if Disabled: Printing on the local machine will be unavailable.
  • Fly's Notes: Disable if you have no printer.

Name: Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support
  • Short Name: wercplsupport
  • Description: Provides support for viewing sending and deletion of system-level problem reports for the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel.
  • Impact if Disabled: The sending of error reports to Microsoft will not function.
  • Fly's Notes: Up to you. If you always say "Don't send error report" then you may as well disable this.

Name: ReadyBoost
  • Short Name: EMDMgmt
  • Description: Provides support for improving system performance using ReadyBoost.
  • Impact if Disabled: The performance improvements provided by ReadyBoost will not function.
  • Fly's Notes: ReadyBoost, ReadyBoost, ReadyBoost... oh the potential you had. I'll stick with real RAM thanks very much.

Name: Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
  • Short Name: RasAuto
  • Description: Detects unsuccessful attempts to connect to a remote network or computer and provides alternative methods for connection.
  • Impact if Disabled: Users will need to manually connect to other systems.
  • Fly's Notes: Home users often won't use RAS but instead MSTSC or something like Citrix for accessing remote systems. This will not affect Internet browsing.

Name: Remote Registry
  • Short Name: RemoteRegistry
  • Description: Provides a mechanism to remotely manage the system registry.
  • Impact if Disabled: Remote systems will be unable to connect to the local registry. Hfnetchk uses this mechanism. Disabling it can affect the patch utility's operation.
  • Special Notes: Some programs require this functionality to operate.
  • Fly's Notes: Iffy. I'm not sure what programs would require remote registry access, but if you're paranoid you can disable this to close one more security hole.

Name: Server
  • Short Name: LanmanServer
  • Description: Allows the sharing of local resources, such as files and printers, as well as named pipe communication.
  • Impact if Disabled: Resources can't be shared, RPC requests will be denied, and named pipe communication will fail. This service must be enabled on Windows Vista computers that share files or printers.
  • Fly's Notes: Solo computers on a network can safely disable this.

Name: SL UI Notification Service[list][*]Short Name: SLUINotify[*]Executable Name: svchost.exe[*]Description: Provides Software Licensing activation and notification.[*]Impact if Disabled: Once Vista is activated, this service isn
Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

don't see the relevance to the modding section, since this is more of a "vista-fix" for an entire computer, but nice post.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Figment
Forum Member

i looked about, didn't really know where else to put it, please, feel free to move it wherever :|
Old 03-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,272 Times in 3,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
i looked about, didn't really know where else to put it, please, feel free to move it wherever :|
Would go in the "other stuff" section where other stuff go :P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum