Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default FFXI reinstall troubles

So it finally happened, disk 3 of my ffxi cannot read a dat, and all I have are the options to retry to read the file, or cancel the install.
I still have ffxi installed on my old hard drive, so if there is a way just to take the dat from there I can do that. I dont see a way to trick the installer though.
I bought a new hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows. Anyone know a way to get around this? I looked at my cd and there is very little scratchs on it at all. Am I stuck buying another copy of ffxi? Or can anyone help me out.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,274 Times in 3,326 Posts

Do you know which dat(s) it cna't read? wotg? CoP? tau?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

I'm afraid I don't know how I can help on this, but if it's any consolation, I saw the original CDs for FFXI on sale at Gamestop for $1.99 a few days ago.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
Miayoko
Hurr Durr
Forum Member

Hmm my best guess is to try to find a disk repair thing...like a scratch repair and try that x; I had that same kinda problem it was one itty bitty scratch...couldn't do crap
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

try copying the CD/DVD to HDD and installing from there...even if take time, if you get the CD copied to HDD it will install w/o this prob.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

You could check over at the windower site... I believe there is a "guide" posted how to copy your old install over to a new system.

Worst case.. '08 collection being released soon... lol
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
IHM
Hiding in the shadows~~~
Forum Member

Or like, download it? Its not like you didn't have the original version, just look for a torrent or such.

Err, if I wasn't meant to say that, delete my post, not sure about the rules on that stuff, sorry.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Only problem with that is you'd have to watch for infected file(s).

Go buy the collection; install and then return it, saying you forgot you didn't have a DVD drive.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

What .DAT file is it having trouble reading? I'll PM it to you.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Re: FFXI reinstall troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by To_Dupre
So it finally happened, disk 3 of my ffxi cannot read a dat, and all I have are the options to retry to read the file, or cancel the install.
I still have ffxi installed on my old hard drive, so if there is a way just to take the dat from there I can do that. .
Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Oh...
Old 04-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Thanks everyone that posted, Ill try reinstalling in a few minutes (still pretty damn hung over and can't see straight yet) And then Ill write down the dat that it lags on. I have one of those skip doctor thingees somewhere... Maybe Ill be able to find it. $1.99 at game stop? Once I no longer smell like a brewery Ill go stumble out to the "mall" here I think there is one there. Uhh... torrents I fool around with torrents occasionally worst case scenerio I can do that, but again thats to everyones posts I think I should be ok. Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well, I got past that file finally. Ill make a long story short. Im in the process of moving and I couldent find the right power cord for my skip doctor, so I just grabed my modems power cord which fit in and after about 5 times of trying to install and failing then sanding down the cd it finally works! Unortunitly I think I blew up my skip doctor. Gotta love that burning electricial smell and then the disk go from mach 1 around the disk doctor to barley crawling.
Now that that nightmare is over a new one begins. Updating ffxi from North American release disks... Dracovivi posted that they release a pack every year, any ideas if those include updates so I dont have to spend 6 hours (and growing each update) to install from fresh?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
zangoose
WTF man...
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To_Dupre
Well, I got past that file finally. Ill make a long story short. Im in the process of moving and I couldent find the right power cord for my skip doctor, so I just grabed my modems power cord which fit in and after about 5 times of trying to install and failing then sanding down the cd it finally works! Unortunitly I think I blew up my skip doctor. Gotta love that burning electricial smell and then the disk go from mach 1 around the disk doctor to barley crawling.
Now that that nightmare is over a new one begins. Updating ffxi from North American release disks... Dracovivi posted that they release a pack every year, any ideas if those include updates so I dont have to spend 6 hours (and growing each update) to install from fresh?
I installed it like a month ago on my new PC...took about 3hr to do all update...and about the pack, nop...these packs sux...to make them fit in a single DVD they make all minor stuff being downloadable instead of being on disk...

Even with packs you wont be able to avoid some major update...be rdy for 3hrs or more...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff