Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default STOP VIRGIN, getting rid of net neutrality

http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/

Virgin Media is going to start making their users pay more to access better sites in the UK. This means if no one fights back or puts their voice out, then other ISP's will think that it will be ok to do this. Spread the word around about Virgin. There are currently 3.5 million subscribers to Virgin in the UK.

You can join this facebook group to help out: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid

Neil Berkett, the new CEO of Virgin Media (my ISP at home in London, along with BT) has announced that he considers Net Neutrality to be "a load of bollocks" and he's promised to put any website or service that won't pay Virgin a premium to reach its customers into the "Internet bus lane."

As a Virgin customer, I'm not paying to see those services that bribe Virgin to reach me, I'm paying to reach the entire web, whichever bits I think are useful, as quickly as Virgin can deliver them.

Theoretically, I'm locked into a Virgin plan for another six months, but as far as I'm concerned, they've just announced that they're violating the agreement by announcing that the services I can reach will be systematically slowed down unless they pay Virgin extra. That means that we're now null and void. I'll be calling to cancel today.

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/13...a-ceo-net.html

The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is
Old 04-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

ok what if this site was put on the slow lane and all you people couldn't download pictures or load them up quick enough or even load the site before you got bored would you still not say anything about it then?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Added the banner to my sig, because I don't beleive that companies have the right to restrict what we can and can't see because of their blatant greed. Speak out against this, it could very well destroy the fabric of the internet.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Chakrila
Banned
Forum Member

anyone notice that chicks titties?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
arucart
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i'm more focused on the fact our internet may become fucked up
Old 04-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

In a perfect world, the way this would work would involve a mass-quitting of subscribers to the offending ISPs, and a migration to those who, well, aren't going to screw over the populous.

But have any US citizens noticed that quietly, a whole bunch of the big provider companies (AT&T, Time Warner, et al) are kind of sitting in the shadows, looking to see how this is going to unfold, and coming up with their own "pay-per-GB" plans and getting ready to essentially all jump in at once and implement them all at the same time? Thusly, when it happens, people won't have much of a choice.
I'm personally kind of shocked that people haven't been jumping down their throats en-masse over the idea.

....grah, had a bunch of links to stories involving these "trial balloons", can't find them right now...

But geez, it's one thing with these U.S. companies, kind of taking a quiet creeping approach about it, but the Virgin Media guy?

....some might thing he's got huge balls for coming out with this plan and telling the people that they're essentially freeloaders, but you have to remember who we're dealing with. This guy honestly believes that his money makes him right 100% of the time, smarter than everyone else poorer than him, and contributes to any political action that will help bring about the kind of world that he wants to see.

Dangerous.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,272 Times in 3,326 Posts

Well, doing something like that making "not so popular" sites slower... would make alot people quit service... hell probably get dialup again if its faster at loading what they want.

lots of places I visit are msotly made by jsut some random person on the net, they definantly won't pay to have their site laod faster. I got a few internet options in my area though so I'd definantly switch in a heartbeat if one decided to do it... I'd dam near move if all mine did to a place that didn't.

Guess its soorta different in UK though... especially if its like your "only" choice...although I'd probably be moving if they did haha. Something like that happening in the USA would cause world war 3
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Eeek, I just remembered, these ISPs, when they're talking up this "pay-per-GB' thing, they tend to not only count DOWNloads using their service, but UPloads as well.

I can't believe I forgot to touch on this....because, well, I would think that this would really, REALLY screw over the gamers out there, no?

Think about it, you get on, say, your Xbox to play some Halo, join a game, and what's happening? Your system's downloading and uploading packet data to the Live service and the game's host.

Greedy folks out there'd be calling gamers "bandwidth hogs", I'd wager.

The worst part is that here and in my last post, I didn't even get into the second major thing about this whole Virgin Media (et al) snub at Net Neutrality....
Content filtering, ISPs looking thru all the data being sent back and forth to make sure that what's being sent is what they "allow" to be sent, blocking people/services/programs at their any given whim.
In other words, the end of internet FREEDOM. Yah, next to that, suddenly "will my ISP limit my bandwidth usage" is kind of tame...
Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Looks like that isn't the only problem in the UK now
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._extreme_pron/
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
Nyuuh
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I see pluses and minsuses with this.

Let's start with the negative parts first!
- The average joe won't be able to create his own webpage
- Webadministration, infact any type of webjobs will be extreamly retarded
- Will stop the usage of Torrents and other download less legillity stuff, meaning we'll have to buy shitty stuff again for a fucking truck of money and regret it

Now, to the posetive part about removing Net Neutrallity..
+ Internet + Average Niceguy Joe + Anonomity = Shitcock

I'm against it.
But I really think Mr. Shitcock should watch his foul languge and stop drooling over 10 year old girls and order drugs on the web because it'll eventually fuck us all over.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Looks like they decided for an alternative route.... downgrades in service!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05..._restrictions/

I think I average a download of about... 1-5Gb/day ;/ Probably average few hundred megs in jsut image browsing!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum