Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default AotI offline modes, is it worth buying for it alone?

OK, I've not really kept up on what's been going on with PSU for a long-ish time. Once upon a time, I got the 1st incarnation of PSU for the 360 (wanted voice chat with buddies, et al), but kind of succumbed to the slow trickle of new materials into the game...
...and FFXI snapped up me with its "been out for near 5 years already (at the time), this has pleanty to do"....

II mostly hung up my PSU character, and held out for when AotI came out....then got kind of miffed when I found out that all the fancy stuff involving the 1-player story mode wouldn't be on the 360 version, and would only be available online to boot. And I really, REALLY did not feel like grinding a character just to see the rest of the story.
(If this has changed, tell me, so this can become moot.)

The bug's kind of bit me again, kind of, and I was wondering...at the current pricing for say the PS2 and PC versions, is it worth getting AotI just for the "polished" story mode?
(Which is the "extra" mode, for AotI, essentially, yes?)

Yes, I actually liked the Story Mode for Episode 1, and was one of those who wished the Extra mode was fleshed out into more of a "sandbox where you could test out everything without full-grinding a character online" thing...
Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Zorafin
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

No, basically. You said that you liked story mode, though. What AoI's offline is, is basically extra mode+1, with the added story stuck in it. Now, EP2 sucks, so you won't be getting much enjoyment out of it. However, you have about as much content offline as you do online. Just about all the missions and items are available offline, even down to it having rappies. You can even get almost all the outfits that online has, excluding the slutty ones.

Basically, there's less story, but more to do. If you liked the side stuff in EP1, then go for it. If you preferred focusing on the main mission, then I'd avoid it.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Excellent, that's about as specific a response as I could have possible hoped for. Thanks much.

I got that sinking feeling that Episode 2 wouldn't be that thrilling as they brought it out way back when, didn't even bother past the 3rd chapter.

But god help me, I was a diehard PSO fan, and I kind of liked PSU, tho not enough to put tons of effort into it. So I might still be interested in getting AotI down the road just for posterity's sake, as long as (like you said) all those missions, items, etc. are available to fool around with, and it's not just another bare-bones extra mode like the original game. And when it gets down to bargain-bin pricing.

...one other question, tho, cos it just came to mind....did they include the "advanced" classes in the AotI offline? Or is it just the old FO/HU/RA standbys?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
Zorafin
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Just the basic classes. Though, I don't know what else you'd want. Each class is basically an advanced class gone berserk. I can't think of a single thing that Fortefighter, Wartecher, and Fighgunner can do online that Hunter can't off. Hell, you even get access to madoogs at, was it rank A? If you have a decent teching race, then you can nuke and melee at the same time.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #5
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

D'oh! I completely forgot about how each class in PSU-original's offline was so...not how they had things setup online. How the "basic" classes offline could pretty much do/equip whatever "advanced" class online could do/equip online...and then some.

Yah, it's coming back to me...how disappointed I was when I played the offline game first before going online, and then seeing how many weapon types your plain vanilla online Ranger couldn't equip...

Alright, I get the idea, the offline classes in AotI follow the same kind of rules as the original. Actually, that's kind of a plus for me...

Thanks again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions