Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Default NBA Mascot sued over accident...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/p...?urn=nba,78362

Discuss...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Ah... Americans.

"I'm a big fucking retard, did something I shouldn't have and it is completely not the other peoples fault so I'm going to sue them! BAwwwwwwwwwww!"

Yeah it sucks but be real. It's not like the mascot did it on purpose and for even attempting something like that is plain stupid. It's hard enough being able to accurately do ANYTHING in those suits let alone give a high-five to some wiener.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

God, I hate people who abuse their freedoms. Despite what people like Dr. assface may think, you are NOT the nly person in the world, OTHER people matter JUST AS MUCH as YOU. Makes me wonder, if he pulled a muscle during sex, would he sue his wife? God knows, in this country, anything's possible.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

That Yahoo bit's a little truncated, and here's some more from the source story. The part I was most interested in is in italics...

"Benny's flying down the aisle, giving everybody high-fives," Kalant's attorney, Shawn Kasserman, said Monday in a telephone interview. "When he gets to Dr. Kalant, he either inadvertently trips or, as part of the shtick, trips. . . . He grabbed Kalant's arm and fell forward."

Neither Chicago Bulls officials nor Anderson could be reached Monday evening for comment.

Kalant stayed for the rest of the game but later had surgery and could miss as much as four months of work, Kasserman said. Kalant is seeking unspecified damages for medical bills, physical pain and lost earnings. The lawsuit claims Anderson was negligent in either "falling forward while grabbing a fan's hand" or "running out of control" through the crowd.

...noticed that, of course, the lawyer has to sow the seeds of the idea that this might have actually been a purposeful, malicious act.

Yah, that makes the ol' bullshit-sensor start going off...
Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

The guy cant work for 4 months. Hes a dentist, he cant do dentistry without his arm. That accident probably ended up costing him 20~25 grand if not more, simply in not being able to work. >.> An apology wouldnt fix something like that heh.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

If that is true then it is still nothing to sue over. A little compensation perhaps but not sue.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

The part I think that's really funny is how he stayed for the remainder of the game with his injury... doesn't sound that severe...
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Oh no, my arm just HYPEREXTENDED, but I'm going to stay for the rest of the game anyway, screw possible long term damage if this doesn't get treated immediately.

*2 hours later*

Oh hey, I should sue the guy because you know, my injury was so severe that I have to have surgery now, but not severe enough to cause me to leave the game early.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 AM   #9
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

This is why I weep for our justice system. It obviously didn't pain him enough to stay through the game, yet when it's over he files a lawsuit...
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

If the judge has any sense he'll throw the case out immediately.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #11
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barachiel
If the judge has any sense he'll throw the case out immediately.
He probably wont, look how that one woman won against McDonalds for accidently spilling coffee on herself.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Ah I was just talking to my professor today and we were discussing this.... Here are two new ones that I read over the last 2 days. A Ebay user sues over a "neutral feedback" comment left against him. http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3202109

And a Chinese primary school teacher and a beautician filing a suit against CNN trying to sue over that "Goon" comment for $1 per person in the entire country of China comming up to if I remember.... 1.3 billion?
So I guess its not just idiotic American's....
"Idiots of the world unit!"
Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Asgardian
Forum Member

It didn't say how much he sued them for, just that he sued for damages and lose of income. This isnt a stupid reason like spilling coffee, lol. If I had my arm broken or w/e by an NBA mascot and couldn't work for 4 months, id be on their ass suing too. How do you expect the guy to pay bills and shit if he cant work? He might of even lost his job, 4 months is a long time. Also, not all injuries hurt. I broke my foot and didn't even realize it was broken for a good 2 days, when I noticed it was swollen like a soft ball. It didn't hurt at all. >.> Its not like the guy was suing some small family, it was the friggin NBA lol. If he sued for like 100 grand or some shit, then its retarded and wrong, but it didn't say how much it was for.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm all for the guy getting damages paid to him. He was injured (even if he was doing something dumb, it didn't keep the mascot from not going for the high-five), and yes, he'd be missing out on all the revenue from his career in the time needed to recoup.

Not to mention any possible loss of PATIENTS, who might find a better dentist in the meantime and stay with them from now on. (I guess.)

But this is America, Land of The Lawsuit. And he won't be going for "hey, it'd be nice if you could comp me for the money I'll be losing while recovering". It'll be "SPORT TEAM EQUALS MONEY, GIVE ME ALL THE MONEY I CAN GET!"
I don't believe for a second that he'll settle just for the damages and the loss of income. Or if he does, I don't think the LAWYER will sit on just that, and will try his best to get his client to go for the money pot.

(Call me cynical, but if it doesn't happen that way, I'll be suprised.)

Which will result in him, in the end, getting zero sympathy from regular folk out there, decidedly...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #15
Asgardian
Forum Member

Thats all good and well. But when you don't know that for a fact, and just assume the guy will do that, it makes you the ass hole, not him. I'm not stupid, I know most people will sue for ridiculous money and over stupid little things, all I was getting at is this is a legitimate reason to sue someone, and its pretty stupid to bomb and insult the guy over it.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer05um
It didn't say how much he sued them for, just that he sued for damages and lose of income. This isnt a stupid reason like spilling coffee, lol. If I had my arm broken or w/e by an NBA mascot and couldn't work for 4 months, id be on their ass suing too. How do you expect the guy to pay bills and shit if he cant work? He might of even lost his job, 4 months is a long time. Also, not all injuries hurt. I broke my foot and didn't even realize it was broken for a good 2 days, when I noticed it was swollen like a soft ball. It didn't hurt at all. >.> Its not like the guy was suing some small family, it was the friggin NBA lol. If he sued for like 100 grand or some shit, then its retarded and wrong, but it didn't say how much it was for.
Even so, the guy was a fucking idiot... he stayed after the game... how serious could it be?

And yes: That eBay article made me cry.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #17
Asgardian
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
Even so, the guy was a fucking idiot... he stayed after the game... how serious could it be?.
You miss the part about not all injuries hurt like a bitch?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #18
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I dunno, from how it the injury sounded it had to have been painful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum