Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
Repairmanmanman
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Default So...anyone excited about the new GTA game?

I watch the trailers and I can't stop drooling. The music playing in the background inspires me to go find as much Russian rap as possible.
Figured this would be a good introductory thread for me.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Nyuuh
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Once again you play an very evil type of man, this time an old russian guy who specializes in heavy gun fights & abduction of people..

No thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

I'm not going to bash the series, but I can say I don't play any GTA games, but those are for personal reasons. In short, no.

I always worry about the "new" games, because though the graphics will be better without fail, the storyline, gameplay, and other things aren't always superior to its ancestors.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Meh, that is all.

More exciting about Mario Kart Wii then GTA 4.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
pristinity
Juu-nana-sai desu!
Forum Member

I'm more excited for Saint's Row 2 than this. It's at least bringing meaningful new stuff to the formula with it's games. The only new element that sticks out in GTA4 is being able to cover now; other than that it's just a graphic overhaul.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Shantotto
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I saw some gameplay video yesterday, and it looks pretty good. Though I think the hype this time around is beyond ridicioulous. I like GTA games as well, but it's not a gaming revolution.
I like that they're removing the retarded stats stuff from San Andreas though, and hopefully have more content in the landmass of GTAIV (instead of the huge open and not very interesting spaces) and from what I saw in the video, the shooting seems to be tightened up though hard to judge without having played it.
Also, I thought the writing went haywire in San Andreas. I actually like the whole 90s gangsta rap theme quite a bit, but the game didn't even come close to nailing it. It wasn't funny at all if you ask me, nor were the characters good enough to take seriously. Strange since Vice City in particular did those parts so well.

Anyways, don't have a PS3/Xbox360 and don't plan on getting one. Might get the game when it makes an appearance for PC.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pristinity
I'm more excited for Saint's Row 2 than this. It's at least bringing meaningful new stuff to the formula with it's games. The only new element that sticks out in GTA4 is being able to cover now; other than that it's just a graphic overhaul.
oh god Yes, Saints Row 2... unlike GTA.. its a Sequal.. not a fucking entire diffrent story. but I'll also get GTA4...

@ nyuuh - Hes not evil, he came to america to FORGET all that... watch the damn trailer carefuly... and Im Russian my self..
Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Nyuuh
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuuri
Quote:
oh god Yes, Saints Row 2... unlike GTA.. its a Sequal.. not a fucking entire diffrent story. but I'll also get GTA4...

@ nyuuh - Hes not evil, he came to america to FORGET all that... watch the damn trailer carefuly... and Im Russian my self..
I did watch the trailer.
Did you not catch the part where he says it's a "new playground" or something like that? <.<
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Ryuuri
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuuri
Quote:

I did watch the trailer.
Did you not catch the part where he says it's a "new playground" or something like that? <.<
I don't belive its that kind of way, Every GTA4 game had a Possitive...ish Story to it, no being a slaver or killing for fun.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I was kind of excited about GTA 4...until they said there wasn't going to be much more added to the core gameplay.

I never got around to finishing Saint's Row, so I'd probably go back and complete that before even bothering to get to GTA 4...if I'm even in the mood by then, and assuming Saint's Row 2 isn't out by then sporting all sorts of new bells and whistles to get my attention.

I've heard nothing about the online elements of GTA4 yet, tho, any comments?

By the way, calling attention to the whole "theme and storyline" aspect of the last couple of games...
GTA 3: Nameless, silent character is a bad man, gets screwed over by his crew, ends up on the bottom rung of the ladder and decides to start exploding people and stuff until the storyline turns into a "hey, I can get revenge on my old girlfriend" thing.
Since he doesn't say much of anything, not really much insight into why he's doing what he's doing.

Vice City: Tommy Vercetti is a bad, bad man who is sent across half the country by his bosses to make a drug deal that goes bad, then Tommy has to come up with SOMETHING to make up for it before he gets in trouble. Somewhere along the line, he decides it's just easier to sever his ties AND take over the entire city in the most violent ways possible. Oh yah, and The Last Dance for Lance Vance happens in there somewhere.
Tommy's a very, very vocal guy, and admits to being a murdering sociopath up until the very end.
...which actually made him quite fun to play as, at some points.

San Andreas: The 'hood is being taken over by crooked cops and an evil gang (compared to his own murderous crew, I guess), and some of the "good guys" turn traitor. So that's rationale enough to just kill everyone involved and take over the city. So, see, he's a "good guy" in this one, he's fighting for his neighborhood!
(Yah, that story was just barely more strung together than Saint's Row's.)

...the GTA series isn't something you play because you're looking for a shining knight to do good deeds and make things turn all happily-ever-after...personally, I play it because it's funner than hell to see what kind of over-the-top random acts of havoc I can pull off.
Ol' Tommy's got to be the closest thing to an "enjoyable character" to play in the series for me, so far, tho. Mostly because his quips and dialog fit the "who cares about if he blows up in the end, he just pops back to the hospital", ultra-violent-cartoonish way I play things...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
Shantotto
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yep, Tommy Vercetti was quite enjoyable. Not exactly deep, but it was nice to play him since he decided to take control instead of just following orders (even though many of the missions are that of course). Even though he was ruthless, he feels like a man in control.
CJ was awful I thought, I suppose they tried to make him more human which is a noble goal, but it didn't work. I thought he was acted rather stupid most of the time, and indeed, the motivation that you're doing it for the "hood" totally does not work due to the crappy writing and characters.
Like Taris says, it's like the game tries to convince you that you're playing the "good guy" or something. I really don't think it works very well.

EDIT: In terms of these kinds of games, the only one I'm really looking forward to is Mafia 2. Mafia wasn't a perfect game, but possibly the only game of this type that I could actually take seriously. It was a classic mafia story, but I was pretty sympathetic towards the main guy who gets dragged into the mafia business.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
keitarukei
Forum Member

I *did* have the game preordered about a week ago, but I cancelled it and got my money back because I discovered the only reason I had done the preorder in the first place was due to all the hype or w/e. This has happened a few times in the past with games I don't really enjoy (namely the Halo series).

I'm sure the game will be great, but its just not my cup of tea. Only thing I enjoy in those games is basically driving the cars around and wrecking into stuff (although, I have to admit I did play a bit of Vice City and during that short spurt became interested in picking up hookers, only to take them to a dark, empty place and kill them with a chainsaw >.>).
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitarukei
I'm sure the game will be great, but its just not my cup of tea. Only thing I enjoy in those games is basically driving the cars around and wrecking into stuff (although, I have to admit I did play a bit of Vice City and during that short spurt became interested in picking up hookers, only to take them to a dark, empty place and kill them with a chainsaw >.>).
Wrecking cars? Yah, that's fun.

But I like to start my "lets see how long I can run/how much damage I can do before I'm taken down by the National Guard" sprees by buying as much Rocket Launcher ammo as physically possible, getting up on a nice mid-sized building, and raining down the entire lot of them on anything that moves while popping on Dethklok's "Hatredcopter" on the custom tracks. (Or, if on the PS2, waiting til anything Ozzy comes on the radio channels.)

By the time I'm done with clearing out everything in a square block, the FBI's shown up, and they have nice getaway cars.

Good times...

Oh, yah, and count me in as one of those people who canceled their perorders cos I realized the only reason I got it in the first place was due to the spike of hype...
Old 04-26-2008, 04:57 AM   #14
Yarcloud
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah, I'm sure it will be cool.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #15
Uzuki
Nothing
Forum Member

I'm just as excited about GTA4 as I am about any other game on a system I don't have. The next gen consoles so far have been nothing but a big disappointment with all their predominantly action/shooter oriented games.

Sooo... to answer the question, I couldn't care less.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
SatanSpork
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Location: currently locked in mortal combat with Caramelldansen.

I'm looking forward to the next GTA game. That's all I can say, really.
<Hans> Shut up and dance!
EDIT: That's a GTA: San Andreas reference, just so you know.
<3 SFUR.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Xhokhusmak
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

yes I am excited
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
Wishgatherer
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm most certainly -NOT- excited about GTA4 in the slightest. I actually wish it won't be released.

I played GTA2 and had a blast. Back when the game was air-view with lame graphics. Then the new games started to come out... and hit the news. Illegal in several states.. No thanks.

Now I don't believe in censorship on art, but the GTA series is so vulgar it makes me sick. I can visually see the effect it has on some people who play the game alot, "Fuck fuck fuckitty fuck fuck! Fuckl!?" - I'll pass.
"Gangstas" should keep to the streets, not my console.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
SatanSpork
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Location: currently locked in mortal combat with Caramelldansen.

It's out. I wish I had it and the people I know who have it have "taken a vacation from FFXI".
They keep telling how much fun it is to multiplayer. ...I'm jealous. Anyone here have some stories on what it's like? SHARE!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #20
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

It's a good game. Entirely revamped system. Uses cover like from Gears and Uncharted, making gunfights more strategic. Easily the deepest character of any GTA game. Niko isn't an evil man, he was just damaged by the war, desensitized to killing and death. One of the mission conversations in the game really hit this for me. It went something like this:
"Aren't you worried about your soul?"

"During the war I went into a small village, what I saw there, about 60 children against a church wall, their throats cut, and their hands chopped off. I want to believe the monster that could do that has no soul."

And during the game he essentially states that he came to America to get away from the killing.

Over the course of the game you also get chances to choose whether you kill certain targets or let them live. For those parts, Niko is only as evil as you want him to be.

I find GTA to be a satire on urban life in America. The over the top vulgarity is a big part of that satire. It pisses me off in real life when people spout out "Fuck this, that, you, etc." Using fuck every other word. But in this game, I find it to be very comical, just because it is so over the top. Most what happens in the game, occurs daily in any major city. The talk radio stations are incredible in contributing to and emphasizing that satire. As Niko said when asked by his cousin how he likes it in America, "I hate it, it's all advertising with nothing to back it up." Even when you dial 911 on your cell phone it's hilarious. You get sent to an automated touch system 1 for police, 2 for paramedics, 3 for fire, and after you select, you get an extremely apathetic operator who generally sounds annoyed that you're calling in the first place. One of the radio commercials even advertises "America's next top reality show" entitled "America's Next Top Hooker." Which really isn't much of a stretch today, it would probably air on Fox.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions