Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
mithra999
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default the easy fix that nun will believe

a 360 with the red ring of death can be fixed by wraping it in a towel and turning it on for 15mins. then let it cool for 15mins and it will be fixed me and my best friend just tried it with his 360 and it works fine dont have to pay anything or wait. :twisted: :P :twisted: :twisted: only thing still havnt fixed the stuck disk tray will love anyone who gives answer to this problem
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
djkn
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Not to debunk your theory but I'd like to know where you got this idea about wrapping a towel around it. Most problems with the new consoles I've seen tend to arise from people putting the console on carpet or somewhere else where it doesn't receive proper ventilation. This can cause a number of problems including but not limited to hard drive failure and CPU failure. Wrapping a towel around the unit seems like it would only cause more damage in the long run than it would help to alleviate. Until you can point to a valid source recommending this method, I would warn people to refrain from trying it. I haven't read the warranty on the 360 (I don't own one) but I would imagine that something like causing the unit to overheat may void the warranty. It does with CPUs and other PC parts, I don't see why it would be any different for a console.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
mithra999
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

yes and no i dont own one either my friend does and he came over with his 360 that had the red ring we tried it and it worked he can now play his 360 again and on that system he modded it to play burned games so there was no real risk involved but we now know a quick and easy fix to a problem that most would consider horrible
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
thekittenofterra
Forum Member

360 fix: Turn it off, move it to better ventilation, and have sex while it cools.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Nattack
Still here
Forum Member

Twitter: nattajerk
Tumblr: kaggentoo

*looks at lefty*

hmm...

*looks at righty*

think i'll have a threesome today.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Sinsational
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Hmmm my boyfriend's Xbox just recently quit working, although that's a blessing to me. He spends too much time on it! But he was a bit devastated and doesn't know what to do with it. He says he didn't purchase a warranty, does anyone know if it comes with a limited warranty even if you don't buy the extended one and stuff? I'm also a bit weary of telling him to wrap it in a towel. Kinda seems like a duct-tape measure to me :(.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Tamashii
Forum Member

this works. i've read the technical explanation as to why it works but forgot the gritty details.

basically overheating it causes something else in there to reboot and reset the entire xbox, thus fixing it.

it's bizarre and makes no sense, but it works.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Jhes
Mithra Stalker
Forum Member

Yeah, this is a well known fix among among most 360 users, the thing tho is that this fix is only temporary..and at any time can cause your 360 to just quit all together.

But yeah, somehow wrapping a towel around it resets the problem that was originally caused by overheating in the first place.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Devius2006
Incest King
Forum Member

My brother tried this when he got the red ring.

Yea it worked but only for about half an hour, then the ring came back.

after that. he tried the trick a couple more times and after about the 3rd time it was finally dead for good.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Quandl
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Yarcloud
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

My 360 has never broken, I take care of it.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Masaka
lol 'member'
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsational
Hmmm my boyfriend's Xbox just recently quit working, although that's a blessing to me. He spends too much time on it! But he was a bit devastated and doesn't know what to do with it. He says he didn't purchase a warranty, does anyone know if it comes with a limited warranty even if you don't buy the extended one and stuff? I'm also a bit weary of telling him to wrap it in a towel. Kinda seems like a duct-tape measure to me :(.

MS has offered up a free 3 year warranty for the 3 Red Light issue, it comes with all 360s. Just register the 360 on the website's service page (No clue where this is anymore, I found it through Google since the xbox.com page is crap) and you can send it in, free of charge (I believe they also pay for shipping as well). This warranty ONLY covers the 3 Rings of Death issue and nothing else.

It can take anywhere from a week to a month to get back from what I've heard, most get it in 2 weeks or less, but there's horror stories of 1month+, though it's rare.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Kamina
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Breaking my post virginity on something not hentai related, /sigh.

Anyways, yes its called the "towel trick" and its been around ever since people started having problems. Myself and 3 of my friends have all gotten red ring o' death. One of my friends tried the towel trick, and it lasted a week. Did it again, it lasted 4 days. The MTBF kept going down and down til MS finally sent him his box a few months later. They say the hardware failure occurs when some of the solder joints get worked loose, and forcing it to overheat re-melts the solder and gives you a little bit of time til it works its way out again. My friend had a horrible time finally getting his fixed, but mine went pretty smoothly. Only "problem" was that we were expecting to get back our consoles, they just sent back someone else's refurbished console.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

It works. I just did it last night, xbox works fine now :3
Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
pristinity
Juu-nana-sai desu!
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcloud
Take care of it or not, if your unit is pre-July 07 it WILL break. And you can quote me on that.

I had mine last from launch Nov 2005 all the way up to Feb 2008. I only moved it one time. It has never traveled to a friend's house. It is well ventilated at all times. It WILL happen.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
Chakrila
Banned
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pristinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcloud
Take care of it or not, if your unit is pre-July 07 it WILL break. And you can quote me on that.

I had mine last from launch Nov 2005 all the way up to Feb 2008. I only moved it one time. It has never traveled to a friend's house. It is well ventilated at all times. It WILL happen.
well of course, all these consoles nowadays are designed to break once the newer ones are released ;) every single person i know started having trouble with their PS2s exactly the same time as PS3 came out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff