Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Sepultura
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Missing Necklace?

Been working at this for a while and trying to get the necklace to show back up again with no luck. I've tried Alpha Mapping the areas that I thought was causing the black area (on .bmp 2) on my finished .dat but it just won't go away. Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain what I've done wrong? Many thanks in advance!
Here's a pic of the problem:

And the file in question:
Attached Files
File Type: dat 30_108.dat (228.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

First off, I like the way this mod looks so far. :wink:
Anyways, I looked at your mod in VRS, and I noticed that the problem with your necklace has nothing to do with alpha maps, but with UV mapping. The texture that needs fixing is the one labeled as "mt_b41_2" on the top mesh. Look at the pic to see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uv_map_vrs_146.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	22419  
Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Sepultura
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Thank you very much for replying, I've not done much with VRS but it looks like I could use it to diagnose problems I'm having with .dat files and such.
Question: How do you open pictures in VRS?
I'm hoping that if I can accomplish that, that I might be able to adjust from there. :)
Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura
Thank you very much for replying, I've not done much with VRS but it looks like I could use it to diagnose problems I'm having with .dat files and such.
Question: How do you open pictures in VRS?
I'm hoping that if I can accomplish that, that I might be able to adjust from there. :)
To open up picture view, you have to select the mesh you want to work with and the texture under it from the schematic window. Then you click on Picture Open on the View menu. It should bring up the picture of the texture you have selected, with vertices and edges all over it that correspond to the mesh you also have selected. From there, you can select the vertices and move them around to change the UV mapping. Probably not the best way to do it, but that's how it is done with VRS.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Sepultura
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Having a really hard time figuring VRS out...... anyone know where there's a good user's guide that really explains how it all works? lol

Also, how would you suggest fixing this problem.... it seems that VRS wouldn't have been your first choice for this. Thanks in advance! :D
Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Only other way to edit the UV is with Meta, and it just boils down to user preference at that point.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Weee <3 UV mapping in Meta \^^/

Ok heres what you do to fix your problem.

Open up your model in Meta.

If you are new to using meta then you need to do some things first before playing with your UV map.

Expand your main control panels. These are located on your left hand side. The one you really need to be concerned about is the Command Panel as this is where the UV botton is. To expand your panels if they aren't... simply click on the Panel Title box... so find "Command" and click on it. Also expand the Edit Options Panel way down at the bottom and find the button that says RC. Depressing this button allows you to drag-select on the UV map when we get to that.

You will need your Material and Object Panels open. Hit CTR+Q and CTR+M some boxes should pop up on your screen. I always dock them to the right side of my screen so they are out of the way. To do that just click on the panel title and drag it over.

Now on your main control panel to your left, locate the UV button under the Command Panel. Click it. You should see your texture map appear in the background.

Your dat has a bunch of different sections... aka "objects" and several different textures. To be able to see your UV map you need to select the correct Object and corresponding Material in the Object/Material Panels that we opened earlier. Looking at your dat its pretty simple, the ones you want to click on are the very first object and the very first texture. Make sure those are highlighted.

You should see a bunch of lines ontop of your texture map in the background. As Kickern showed in that SS your neck texture is all kinda scrunched up way down there in the middle of your texture map.. this is a super easy fix in this situation.

On your popup UV edit panel make sure the Move button is depressed. Go over to the little area that Kickern pointed out and drag/select those dots there. Now go click on the Scale button on your UV edit panel. Click on one of your selected vertex and drag to the right/down. This will increase the size. If you go click the Move button again you and relocate that portion of the UV map where ever you would like. You can move just single vertex by clicking/dragging and what not.

x_X if you need anymore help or didn't understand anything I said just ask :) <3 meta~
Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Sepultura
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Ok, took a little bit but figured out how to access everything that you were talking about.... but now I am wondering, how do I know what the grid over the neck piece should look like on my texture map?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Looking at your mod and the original mod.. I'm having some trouble figuring out how you managed to do this in the first place o_O that neck section is way off from where its supposta be on the texture map.

Anyways...

Heres a SS of what it should look like. Your mod is on the right and the left is the original SE body piece and what the UV map should kinda look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	necklace_197.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	22448  
Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikona69
Looking at your mod and the original mod.. I'm having some trouble figuring out how you managed to do this in the first place o_O that neck section is way off from where its supposta be on the texture map.
I'd have to maybe rule it VRS, and maybe Sepultura maybe accidentally hit one of the UV buttons while HQing or something... only thing I could think of.. lol

Or didn't use the SE one as base, but maybe some one else's work.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
Sepultura
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Actually, yeah I did go off some work from another modder, I took a look at the original and came up with the solution.... the problem wasn't the dots that had been mentioned, but an already formed area on the left side of the body texture. To fix this I simply moved the texture for the necklace to where the grid for it was. Needless to say tho, I learned alot during this process and I thank everyone ever so much that helped me with this learning experience. You guys are the best. :D
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

\^^/ you did more work then you had to but glad you figured it out :)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner