Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Kera
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Model viewer crashes?

Rather then have the Subject explain it all...

The problem I'm having is when I go into Model viewer and take a dat such as the face dat and tell it to break it down into bmp/mqo/dds I can't seem to get it to accept changes I make to the dds file and port it back into usable dat file.

Normally what I do is open the bmp in gimp or adobe photoshop and make any changes to the texture that I would like and save it. I'll then go to Graphics Converter 3 and open the bmp then convert it using Format>S3TC Format(My Encode Engine)>DXT3(4-bit alpha non-premult) then save it.

Now I run into the problem when I go back into Model Viewer and tell it to port the information back into Dat. Model viewer simply crashes. This only happens to files I modify then try to port back to dat. If I don't mess with the file at all after I port it to mqo it'll port back to Dat without any problems. Is there a problem with am GC3?

It's been about 3 years since I did any texture mods so I haven't checked for any updated versions of GC3, but I don't see anywhere saying that there is an updated version of it either. I've already update my Model viewer to the most recent version so I don't think it is that. I just don't know what else would be causing Model Viewer to crash when i tell it to convert the changed DDS back into a usable dat format, any ideas?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I haven't read your whole post yet, but are you making sure the file you are importing back into is the same one you exported ( as in.. the dat location is the "active" one in the upper right corner)?

Might I suggest using DXTBmp instead of GC3, there have been reports that GC3 can cause a lesser version of the deterioration that VRS causes.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Kera
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah I made sure I was replacing it back to the same file and all, like I said the port works fine so long as I don't try to modify it when it come to importing and exporting back to DAT. I'm familiar with how to do that since I used to do it often, but recently it just doesn't work anymore and I'm not sure why.

I'm not familiar with DXTBmp really. Where can I get that program from?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Perhaps might be an issue with how it's being run through GC3... I don't really know. Are you by any chance using Vista? If so, do you have UAC disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kera
I'm not familiar with DXTBmp really. Where can I get that program from?
Google ^^

I got a brief write up on the 2min I played with it, that can be found here, might be a link to the Download posted there too.. can't remember.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Kera
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I wouldn't switch to vista unless I absolutely have to. I've already disabled all that crap on 3 of my friends PC's and I'm not going to go through the compatiblity problems the OS still has on my system either.

Guess I'll just google it and get it installed in place of gc3. I know it's the dds file that is causing the problem cause everything else I can modify and place back without issues. As soon as I rewrite the DDS is when I run into trouble.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kera
Guess I'll just google it and get it installed in place of gc3. I know it's the dds file that is causing the problem cause everything else I can modify and place back without issues. As soon as I rewrite the DDS is when I run into trouble.
DXTBmp

Just want to make sure that you are not changing the names of the files after they've been exported from MV? I'm sure your not, but just ruling it out. Best of luck with DXTBmp. ^^
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Kera
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Turns out it was the mqo file. forgot I edited it in mestiquioa. But the better quality dds is still a good thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner