Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Default Trouble with my new graphics card...

Yesterday I upgraded my old NVIDIA 8500 GT card to a new 8800 GT XFX card. I have never actually worked on my own computer before, though I did do some classes on computer building so I had some idea what to do. Anyway, it works, for the most part. I can notice an obvious increase in graphics performance , and I can up the settings maintaining that increase, etc.

Here is the problem: my monitor does not always recognize the new card, preventing the display from showing up, even though the computer is up and running. This is an off-and-on thing when I boot up my computer. Currently I am running it on DVI input and it is working, I tried running it on VGA earlier but it didn't work at all. DVI doesn't always work.

The problem is that my computer does not always connect to my monitor. Sometimes both the DVI and VGA will appear as disabled, and I can't figure out why. I have verified that the connection is secure, and that the card is plugged into the computer nice and tight, all the wires are connected, etc. It works, but only occasionally.

One temporary solution I have found, is to turn off the computer (By using the power button, which I don't like doing because it can corrupt files) and restart it. This usually gets it working the first time, but occasionally it have to do it twice. For now, I have stopped turning my computer off and just send it into sleep mode when I am done, to circumvent this problem. But I don't like temporary solutions.

Anyone have any idea why my monitor is not always connecting to my computer? I can only think that something is off with the card. I have tried updating the drivers to no avail, and can't really think of anything else to do...
Old 05-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Might I ask just how strong your power supply in your PC is? Also are you sure it is not interfering with any other part of your PC, such as nudging something, because that card likes to generate a nice bit of heat which can interfere with other computer parts through overheating. Do you have the latest drivers?

Like me, I had a 400w and I had some issues along that line until I upgraded into an 800w. (yay slow upgrade)

However I will admit I'm much better hands on but still...
Old 05-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

The only parts it is nudging are the wires I moved out of the way to fit it in there, as it was quite a bit larger then my old card... I do know that hot wires transmit electricity slower then cold ones, but I'm not sure how much of a difference this would make. As for the power supply, I think it's 200w, but if 400w is average I either have really shitty power or am really confused.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Dude... if you have a 200w then that's the problem, or one of the main ones. The MINIMUM for the 8800 GTX is 400-500w so I highly, highly suggest getting a 600+w, they really aren't that expensive.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Liete
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yup. Don't just buy any 500-600W PSU either. Make sure they provide enough amperage on the +12V rail since thats where all new video cards draw power from. Even a quality 450W should be good enough. I recommend Corsair or Antec "Earthwatts" series PSUs. I personally use a Corsair 550VX and I love it. Very quiet, and not too expensive.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Hmm... That Corsair 550 isn't expensive at all... I might just go that route, I just have to find somebody to help me with it... Upgrading my PSU looks a lot more difficult then swapping out a graphics card, and I don't want to mess it up more then I already have...

For the moment I put my old 8500 GT back it. After seeing my games run on the 8800 it's almost a shame, but at least it works all the time now.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

A PSU is actually one of the easiest things to install, IMHO. The only real issue is if you're not a computer person you might have some issues remembering which cables go where... but even then most of them have letters/numbers on them and are a particular shape/color so it really isn't that difficult.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Dracovivi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Ya.. don't force anything... as with all computer/electronics make sure you are free from static.

PSU would just involve the four screws that hold it into place, and then unplugging it from the MB and any internal drives that are connected (HDD, CD, DVD, Floppy etc) and then placing new in and connecting back up

Most PSU have their wattage on the side, so if you pulled the panel off you should be able to read the specs.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Unless it's in German like mine is.

it also helps that I read German. :P (Surprised the living hell out of me though)
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Okay, I have decided to get the Corsair 550. My current PSU gives 300w, which is better then 200w but still bad. I'll update when it gets here(hopefully in 3 days)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Okay, so I got my new Corsair 550w PSU in the mail today. I open it up, started swapping out the plugs, and everything has gone great (I think). My new PSU is in the computer, and it works just fine with my old graphics card, however, I still have the same problem when I put my 8800 GT in (computer doesn't boot up right). Since this is a 550w PSU, and my card requires 400w, I really can't firgure out what the problem is... anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #12
Liete
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Well it definitely isn't a lack of power because I'm using an XFX 8800GT as well(overclocked too). I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to video card support. I think the best recommendation I can give is to contact XFX directly via ticket support(through their website) or call in(would probably be better since you'd get instant support). Perhaps they can help you out since it is their product after all. Since the weekend is here you'll have to wait till monday. :/
Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Could you maybe post some pictures of how yours is connected? I am wondering if I am hooking mine up wrong... I plugged the 6-pin wire into the 6-pin slot, but it still doesn't work... I can't see anything wrong with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum